Can we talk Isopropyl Myristate?

shtow

I have read online via this site and others that this ingredient can be good and bad. From my personal experience, each product that I have used with this ingredient has worked extremely well in my hair. I think it is because Isopropyl Myristate absorbs so well. The products I have used with it are Hollywood Olive Creme, Optimum Oil Therapy Hair Quencher (second ingredient in both products), and most recently, I have been sealing my Nexxus Humectress with Apoghee Essential Oils, which also contains the ingredient. Anybody else like Isopropyl Myristate:grin:?

I don't use any Petro derived chems - I try to stay as far away from them as possible
I have found that - over time - these Chems stopp doing thier job on my hair.

There are other natural ingredients that will soak into the hair...

I don't use any Petro derived chems - I try to stay as far away from them as possible
I have found that - over time - these Chems stopp doing thier job on my hair.

There are other natural ingredients that will soak into the hair...

I haven't looked it up in months. From what I remember, its just absorbent. Didnt know it was Petroleum derived tho:ohwell:.

Don't believe everything on the net. Petrolatum nor mineral oil are the devil if you really search or talk to a real chemist or scientist. Certain sites on the net serve purposes of downing a particular product but in actuality all claims are false. I speak to a chemists on a as needed basis concerning my biz and also through research research and more research I have learned not to feed into all the hype. For every 100 pages stating p or m is evil you can also find 100 saying they are great but who do you believe?? Sometimes I read on here (sorry ladies) :perplexed so many concoctions and everyone jumps on it and don't realize they are a deadly potion to some. Just be careful and judge wisely sites on the net.
Meredith

Edit to say: OP, yes it is a great product and it does wonders. But even in that, mixing certain chemicals with other chemicals and not knowing the reactions may cost you your hair.

Don't believe everything on the net. Petrolatum nor mineral oil are the devil if you really search or talk to a real chemist or scientist. Certain sites on the net serve purposes of downing a particular product but in actuality all claims are false. I speak to a chemists on a as needed basis concerning my biz and also through research research and more research I have learned not to feed into all the hype. For every 100 pages stating p or m is evil you can also find 100 saying they are great but who do you believe?? Sometimes I read on here (sorry ladies) :perplexed so many concoctions and everyone jumps on it and don't realize they are a deadly potion to some. Just be careful and judge wisely sites on the net.
Meredith

Edit to say: OP, yes it is a great product and it does wonders. But even in that, mixing certain chemicals with other chemicals and not knowing the reactions may cost you your hair.

I hear what you are saying - However - I do know that my hair has THRIVED in the absence of these chems.

So - to each his own..... Baldness, alopecia, cancer and the like are not hype - but They certainley could be directly connected to the OVER USE of these chemical compounds. There is no way for a chemist to know these effects over time - because the are not doing that particular research.

So - I hear you - but respectfully disagree. We need to be informed consumers - to make wise decicisions about what we use... I have done research too.....

Last edited:
Meredith

THANK YOU...........At the end of the day be an informed consumer. Many of the "natural" stuff ain't so "natural" afterall and everything at the end of the day is a chemical. Many of the claims are distorted and not base on information about the ingredients in a cosmetic application. The mineral oil used in manufacturing is not the same as the mineral oil used in cosmetics and etc........

Meredith

I totally agree with that, AND I still avoid petro products like the devil, because they have a negative impact on MY hair. I think that a lot of people read that some people avoid these products, and overblow it into 'the products are bad, bad, bad!!!!!' :rolleyes: Only your head and your scalp can tell you what products are bad for YOU, no matter how many other people might hate it.

You have to be a fully informed consumer, both from the point of view of the 'research' and from a point of view of your own hair - if your research conflicts with your hair - your hair should trump it.....

I usually don't post on these threads - because it seems that people get a bit upset about a dissenting view... especially the view that - possibly - these Chems or combinations could cause a harmful result down the road.

lesson learned........

I usually don't post on these threads - because it seems that people get a bit upset about a dissenting view... especially the view that - possibly - these Chems or combinations could cause a harmful result down the road.

lesson learned........

Denial is not just a river in Egypt. :rolleyes:
Keep posting though, because for every dissenting 'It's FINE for your hair, all these people who are paid by the companies who manufacture it say so!' opinion, there is a silent reader who never even heard that there might be a possibility that it's an issue, and go out and educate themselves on the reality of the potential issues.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt. :rolleyes:
Keep posting though, because for every dissenting 'It's FINE for your hair, all these people who are paid by the companies who manufacture it say so!' opinion, there is a silent reader who never even heard that there might be a possibility that it's an issue, and go out and educate themselves on the reality of the potential issues.

Thanks Kiya - you are sweet.

:kiss:

Well I hear what everyone is saying. However I was thinking about it today and my hair just likes it. Some peoples hair loves mineral oil. If I avoided each and every LHCF labeled "bad" ingredient I wouldn't use not one product. So I will not go out of my way to avoid anything labeled with it. Just like my fav DC has mineral oil. No biggie IMO. I love Sulfur 8. it stops dandruff and I have seen accelerated growth. The ingredients don't bother me. Its all personal. But thanks again Samantha for the information you took the time to post. I appreciate everyone opinion and take them each into consideration, which is why I start and read threads. HHG!

Back