Can we talk about Falls, 1/2 wigs, Instant Weaves....

Caramela

I am officially transitioning or stretching (haven't figured it out yet). But for the time being at least, I won't be putting relaxers in my hair. I want to get maybe a couple of half wigs and wear the majority of my hair in corn rows while I'm growing it out.
So this is my question, fall-wearers, which brands and styles are you faithful to? What is the average cost? Any good websites? If you do go to the Asian Beauty Supply store, which brand/style do you get?
What should I look out for? What tips do you have for caring for the hair under the half wig? How do you properly secure it, etc... basically any an all tips are appreciated.
TIA :grin:

Brands faithful to? SENSATIONNEL INSTANT WEAVE
Style fathful to? (ones above)Straight, slightly curled styles by Sensationnel
What is the average cost? 19.99 to 40.00 :grin:
Any good websites? HairSisters.com and texasbeautysupplies.com
If you do go to the Asian Beauty Supply store, which brand/style do you get? Sensationnel or Outre
What should I look out for? I perfer human and color and texture that will match your hair that will be sticking out. I must say there synthetic hair is very nice too. :yep:
What tips do you have for caring for the hair under the half wig? I take mine off when I get home and do what ever I like to my own hair (wash, deep cond., moisturize, air dry) and put back on when you leave the house. I don't get mine sew on. Instant weaves are made to be removable. My delimma keeping my bangs roots straight and styled while wearing them. I had to use heat only on my bangs roots. While the rest of my hair is in protective cornrows.
How do you properly secure it? It come with picture instructions. Make a part, insert the front weave comb, pull back over own hair, insert the back weave comb and comb own hair over part and blend.
Cleaning it? Follow cleaning instructions, use a gentle shampoo and let it air dry.

Got lots of compliments when I wore them. People always thought it was my hair. (blacks, asians and whites)

Last edited:
I have this one and I LOVE IT! I get so many compliments on it and it helped me (and the rest of the world) get used to my natural hair texture. I wear it off my face and people (that know me) stare in amazement in how it blends so well. I've been wearing it almost every day so since it's synthetic I know I have to replace it but I don't mind that for $20 every two months.... Plus, it's great for covering my head for these sub-zero temps!

Co-sign on Sensationnel instant weave-
Extension: Human hair curly (afro-curly?) I coloured it so it blended with my hair.

My Hair: I had most of my hair cornrowed to the middle then i had one small line of hair in front flat twisted from ear I would let it out a few times a week but mostly left it flat twisted and fluffed the hair over it (people thought it was my hair). I co-washed everyday/ every other day and sealed with castor oil after co-wash on days I didn't wash I used Giovanni leave in and sealed with castor oil and used my growth Aids every other day (BT/ MN etc)

Care of Extension: I was in a hot humid area so I would co-wash it every other day and while soaking wet apply fantasia iC moisturising serum mixed with sparklites gel and let it air dry (I usually did this at night so was dry by morning)

I thoroughly enjoyed having this in and will be rocking it some more this summer I spent about £25 on it and it was well worth it!

LargerImage.php
I found one that I want for $25!!!

trans_1x1.gif
yhst-2519492840586_1984_179334480

trans_1x1.gif
yhst-2519492840586_1984_181689138

I have these 2 and also the one RelaxerRehab posted by Sensationnel. If it's your first time buying a half wig, I suggest you go into a bss so that you can experience the hair.

I usually like synthetic because the up keep is easier and it's inexpensive, around $19.99. Instructions for securing your half wig will be included when you purchase. Usually there is a comb located on the front & back portion of the wig.

When I first started my transition I wore straight half wigs but now I mostly wear curly if I want my hair to blend in easily. Wearing a straight one is still an option but I prefer not to use heat to straighten my hair (I can also wear a headband to cover my edges).

As far as what to do with your hair, the cornrows sound excellent. You can continue with your normal regimen and especially, keep your hair moisturized.

Once you are home from your day, remove your half wig and place it on a wighead. Do not sleep in your half wig and wash as needed. It will be a good idea to invest in at least 2 half wigs at one time, so that you can rotate in wearing them.

If you can get at least a months wear out of them, then it's money well spent. Mine actually last pretty long.

As for websites I use:
www.hairsisters.com
www.goldenmartbeautysupply.com
www.texasbeautysupplies.com

Have fun wearing your fall!

(Thanks to Chavascandy & TheSavvysistah)

I usually buy synthetic. They cost $20. I usually buy Sensationnel Instant Weave or Glance Model Model. I always buy them from the BSS.

So happy you found one you like. It is very pretty and very good price. Can't wait for you to post pics if you order it. :grin:

Please review their return policy in case you don't like it in person. I always like to get mine from local BSS for that reason alone.

Last edited:
Do you have to corn row your hair under these 1/2 wigs? I finally made it to shoulder length and I am seriously considering phony ponies and 1/2 wigs for protective styles for the next year but I don't know how to corn row! :ohwell:

Do you have to corn row your hair under these 1/2 wigs? I finally made it to shoulder length and I am seriously considering phony ponies and 1/2 wigs for protective styles for the next year but I don't know how to corn row! :ohwell:

Probably not. I've heard people say they put their hair in a bun. Or if you wanted to braid it, do french braids or box braids. Since it won't be seen, it's not important how you put away the hair underneath - as long as it's protected.

So happy you found one you like. It is very pretty and very good price. Can't wait for you to post pics if you order it. :grin:

Please review their return policy in case you don't like it in person. I always like to get mine from local BSS for that reason alone.

Thanks! I am going to wait until my tax refunds come in until I buy it, but my husband even likes it. So after I get it I'll be sure to post pics. I am going to get a couple of phony ponies as well. :yep:

Moni, I hope this doesn't sound too crazy, but the pic in your avatar and the one in your siggy - is that you? I can't tell if it's a real person or a manequin. If it's you, you look flawless... :spinning:

I am not faithful to any brand...
I wear all kinds and I have BAGS of falls.
I tend to lean more towards long and curly looks.
My fav fall is by Mood Magic and its named Beyonce...its long and curly.

I buy mostly synthetic and I pay about 20-25 bucks per fall. If I opt ofr human hair...it is usually 40-50 bucks.

Underneath....I did cornrows in the past...but now I baggy undearneath...and my ends love me for it.:yep:

I will be updating my falls album soon. But I have SEVERAL falls in my album over several months.

This is Michelle
EASYMICHELLE-2T.jpg

Here it is on me...
DSC_0158copy.jpg

Here is Beyonce
RVBEYONCE-2T.jpg

Here it is on me..
train.jpg

I buy mostly synthetic and I pay about 20-25 bucks per fall. If I opt ofr human hair...it is usually 40-50 bucks.

Underneath....I did cornrows in the past...but now I baggy undearneath...and my ends love me for it.:yep:

I will be updating my falls album soon. But I have SEVERAL falls in my album over several months.

This is Michelle
EASYMICHELLE-2T.jpg

Here it is on me...
DSC_0158copy.jpg

Here is Beyonce
RVBEYONCE-2T.jpg

Here it is on me..
train.jpg

These are both gorgeous!! Which one are you wearing in your avatar? How do you get it to blend? You've been rocking falls and half wigs for a minute. I wish you would put together a tutorial for us. I like the curly ones too and am in desperate need for a change. :yep:

I am online looking for that one. All I remember was it was a yellow and white tag on it...and I think its called Venus. Ofcourse it is not that big...iut got big like that after I play with it.

Yea..falls have helped me get over several hair hurdles.
Tutorial? I can do that. What all would you like me to show?

I am online looking for that one. All I remember was it was a yellow and white tag on it...and I think its called Venus. Ofcourse it is not that big...iut got big like that after I play with it.

Yea..falls have helped me get over several hair hurdles.
Tutorial? I can do that. What all would you like me to show?

show us how you get your hair to blend so well! And show us how you secure it! :o)

Ok. I will do it over this weekend and post it in my fotki.:yep:

I will say this though...the key is
1. Leaving out JUST enough hair to cover the hump and no more than that.
2. Finding a gel that is not too drying or harsh but has the right amount of hold (fantasia IC) for me
3.Tying your hair down while in the car...or as u finished getting dressed so that it can "set".

But I will take pics and put it in my album.

ETA.

Curly only tutorial? Or curly and straight?

2. Finding a gel that is not too drying or harsh but has the right amount of hold (fantasia IC) for me
3.Tying your hair down while in the car...or as u finished getting dressed so that it can "set".

ETA.

Girl, do both! Help some sistas out... have you ever gotten any breakage from a fall?

No I havent. But I also change up my parts. I would imagine wearing those combs in the same place over time may cause breakage with the stress on that hair.

ETA.

Please do both! I gave up on falls and wigs for a moment because I was just not feeling the blending or it looking to wiggy.
But thanks to my LHCF sisters at our Detroit meeting I returned to rocking falls and wigs! I know I when to work I will throw on a head band if my edges are looking a mess. :lachen::lachen:

I have some pictures in my fotki under protectice styles of a $19.99 half wig. I wear mine with head bands b/c I am only 20 years old and wanna keep it...But in my photos I am 6 months post and I just slick all my hair back into maybe 2 ponytails and I baggy my ends, put on my scarf until I am done dressing and then throw on a headbands that goes with what I have on that day. Oh and BTW dont mind my big forehead.:lachen:

LargerImage.php

You will have fun with this IW! I love wearing it when I want a romantic, chill weekend look. It is VERY light and fluffy and will probably blend perfectly if you do a braidout on dry hair (this works for me). It does have a lot of layers and tends to tangle pretty easily, though.

Can't wait to see your tutorial, CD! IWs have been a staple in my transitioning regimen. It's really not much of a regimen, though- just wash, moisturize, and braid into individual plaits.:) The current staple is in the avi.

Thanks! I am going to wait until my tax refunds come in until I buy it, but my husband even likes it. So after I get it I'll be sure to post pics. I am going to get a couple of phony ponies as well. :yep:

Moni, I hope this doesn't sound too crazy, but the pic in your avatar and the one in your siggy - is that you? I can't tell if it's a real person or a manequin. If it's you, you look flawless... :spinning:

Yeah!! Tax return time!!! I'll be out shopping for more too...:grin:
So glad your husband likes it. Funny thing is my husband likes instant weaves better on me than a sew in weave. He said the instant weaves just look better, money savers (cheaper than a sew in) and can be removed when he wants to see my real hair.

OT: What you said doesn't sound crazy at all. That is me in both the avatar and siggy. The Avatar is my current hair length and my Siggy is a pic of me from last year with my hair before I cut it off (thought I wanted to go natural). Anywho, many people tell me I look like a porclein doll or manequin which I think is so flattering and funny. Thanks btw!! :kiss: I take my fotki pictures standing in front of my bathroom mirror. LOL!!! I keep telling myself it has to be the lighting or b/c I dropped my camera so much. :lachen: Plus I wish I had flawless skin. I don't look bad w/ out makeup but I would never go out without it. :look: But I thank Almay Stay Clean Espresso cream foundation for my flawless look. Almay discontinued that brand and I order it from Ebay in mass amounts. :lachen:

Last edited:

This is Michelle
EASYMICHELLE-2T.jpg

Here it is on me...
DSC_0158copy.jpg

Here is Beyonce
RVBEYONCE-2T.jpg

Here it is on me..
train.jpg

I love your example pics. You look fabulous!!! The hair folks need to hire you as a model.

OT: When I first joined Fotki I use to visit both your fotki albums often. You have such great style in hair and clothes. :yep:

I will be looking forward to your tutorial. I am trully amazed how many women on LHCF and many other sites have never worn falls and instant weaves. Your tutorial will be great. Please do one for straight and curly looks. I wish someone would do one and put it on Youtube.
Hint... Hint... :grin:
I know where I am going to be refering LHCF ladies in the future. :grin:

Last edited:
Thanks ladies! I will try my best not to dissappoint.

I need to update my album..I dont post half as many pics in it as I used to.

Your falls are the best I have ever seen. They look so natural. I wish I lived near you so that you could teach me and match me in a nice fall. I thought I was doing good until I saw your album.

Now...spill the beans....how did you lose the weight?? You look great!

Yes please do a tutorial on both. I can't wait. Your looks are always natural. And I've been coonsidering getting a curly weave for a long time. But I hate weaves. I can't keep them in long. This should curve my curly appetite for awhile.

I'm going to be making my order this weekend! I found 2 falls and one phony pony that I'll be getting! Apparently they are having a photo contest and you can win $500 in merchandise. How cool is that? Tonya, you should definetly submit your pictures! If you win, buy your old buddy a couple of falls :grin:

Hi Caramela,

I've been wearing half wigs religiously for the last few months. I've worn so many that I lost track:look: so here's the link to my Fotki where the wig section begins:

http://public.fotki.com/luvmylife/weavesbraidswigs/hwbackcov.html

Those are also wigs in my avatar and siggy.

I wear synthetic hair wigs that cost from $20-30 and that I buy at my local BSS or Hairsisters.com. I can't cornrow, so I either bun it or do a bunch of random braids underneath. I love them and I think they may help me finally get over the hump and onwards to BSL. The only thing I'd say to watch is make sure the combs inside aren't pulling or snagging your hair....other than that :up: :up:

HTH!

Hi Caramela,

I've been wearing half wigs religiously for the last few months. I've worn so many that I lost track:look: so here's the link to my Fotki where the wig section begins:

http://public.fotki.com/luvmylife/weavesbraidswigs/hwbackcov.html

Those are also wigs in my avatar and siggy.

I wear synthetic hair wigs that cost from $20-30 and that I buy at my local BSS or Hairsisters.com. I can't cornrow, so I either bun it or do a bunch of random braids underneath. I love them and I think they may help me finally get over the hump and onwards to BSL. The only thing I'd say to watch is make sure the combs inside aren't pulling or snagging your hair....other than that :up: :up:

HTH!

You have a great weave/braids/wig fotki folder. Very nice!!! I like how well you blend and wear your half wigs. They trully look great and very natural.

Great pics! Wow. This is going to be fun. And great tips as well. I can't wait to post pics of me in my new falls. (I got 2 of them. One was on sale for $5!) I ordered last night and the site shows I should have it by sometime in the last week of this month.

Back