Can u prevent tangles after u take out a weave?

Godsway

Hello Ladies,

For those of you on the sew-in challenge, I was wondering what you do to your hair to keep it from tangling after you take down the weave and undo your braids underneath. I have had two sew-ins and every time I take it down and undo my braids I can comb thru it just fine but the minute I wash it, it tangles like crazy and then I put every conditioner and leave-in to untangle but it never works and I have to pick out the tangles and loose so much hair!!!:mad: mad: . The last time I took my weave out my hairdresser told me to drench my hair in olive oil and let it sit all day if possible. I did this and my hair was so soft. I could comb thru it with no trouble. But once again the minute I washed it TANGLES. Any Suggestions???????

Thanks in Advance!!!!

Umm I have never had a problem with tangles after a weave. But I would suggest using a detangling spray instead of the olive oil next time (A detangling shampoo and conditioner might help too). It might also be the way you are washing your hair. Do you wash in sections? If not maybe you should consider that. HTH

I actually stopped the challenge after I cut out two locs of my hair while trying to cut the threads. I was loosing alot of hair as well. I would try a detangler too...I used to use a braid removal spray by african pride....I think

I've used a detangling spray before and still got tangles after I washed. When I used a detangling spray my hair was soft, untangled and I could comb it. But, the minute I washed it, TANGLES:mad: As flygirl mentioned Maybe I should try this washing in sections??? Can someone give me their technique for washing in sections. Thanks

I usually comb my hair under water while washing, the water flowing through makes combing a lil easier.

I'm in this challenge too, and I have no problems with tangles may be it because and don't use poo to wash my hair after removing the weave.
When i removed it:
I spend the night with Le kaïr Cholesterol treatment + mixed oils (castor, shea, olive, carrot, palmnut, avocado)
In the morning I rinse my hair with hot water during 10 to 15 minutes then I put in conditionner( huge amount) that I have diluted in a little amount of hot water and I sectionned my hair in 4 quarter and detangle my hair soaked with that mix quarter by quarter [firstly hand combing, and secondly gently brushing with a denman-like brush]!
It's take time but that's works for my natural hair:) then rinse very well (a lot of water) every quarter one by one, secure them after rinsing (4 twist or 4 braids)!
After, use your usual routine (towel, air drying, blow dry, leave in conditionner, pomade).
Voilà!

Last edited:
This happened to me when I took my kinky twists out. I took my sew-in out yesterday and didn't have a problem this time. I did the same thing some of the other ladies do. I put a moisturizing conditioner mixed with oil on my hair and let it sit for a couple of hours before detangling. Then I made four braids and rinsed and washed in sections. I deep conditioned with the braids also. It didn't take too long and it was worth the time.

I think so but Im having this same problem. First time ever as many times as Ive been rocking braids and I got knots everywhere in my head. Left them suckers in too long. Never again. It looks like my growth may be shorted by the knots.

Hmmm, I have never had a problem with tangling after taking out a weave and I have had several. Combing through your hair as you take out each braid makes a huge difference but it sounds like you're doing this already. Are you piling all of your hair on top of your head when you wash it or are you letting it hang down (straight back) as you wash? If you're piling it on top of your head then that could cause a lot of unnecessary tangles.

I think maybe you havent gotten rid of all the shed hair. Since I started using the remington tangle tamer (electric comb) I no longer have this problem.

Hey Ladies,

thanks for your advice. I realize I should wash in sections and maybe what was causing it is piling my hair on top of my head the way I would when I had a perm as Chanteuse said. I am transitioning now so I need to learn new ways of handling my hair. I use the method mahoganee suggested above. Thanks ladies!!:)

Back