can u od on vitamins?

JewelleNY

please help! i have recently switched from GNC's hair skin, and nails to Vitol's hair, nails-skin 1 per day time released. the gnc version you take twice daily so i forgot that vitol is one daily and have been taking two daily for almost a month :eek: i also take gnc women's ultra mega. does anyone know if i should call a doctor or am i overreacting????!!!! i was very terrible in biology in college :brainy:

YES ESPECIALLY VITAMIN A , IRON ,ZINC, COPPER, FOLATE.IF YOU ARE PREGO THAN NO YOU NEED TO TAKE EXTRA VITAMINS FOR BABY. THEY CAN CAUSE LIVER/KIDNEY PROBLEMS. LOOK UP THE DAILY ALLOWANCE OF ANY VITAMIN BEFORE YOU TAKE THEM.
edited: i am anemic so i take extra iron i had blood work done to determine this. i would not take mega doses without seeing your doc first. hth

Last edited:
You can certainly od on some vitamins/supplements. I took too much B6 which causes sensitivity to light and almost lost control of my car on a sunny day. Some vitamins/minerals are water soluble which means your body will simply flush any excess out but others like iron will build up and can lead to death so it really depends on what your vitol's ingredients are. I'm sure if you look up each ingredient on line you can find info about whether they are water soluble. Time-released vitamins are also a good idea.

You certainly can OD on vitamins. One thing you can do if you're concerned is not take them over the weekend to give your system a break...

Yes, you can die if you have excessive doses of Vitamin A and Iron. Heads up to Foxybrownsugar for that rundown.

thanks guys! before i realized i was taking too many i was feeling a little disoriented and extremely sluggish! it may have been a reaction to my stressful job but i am a little worried and i am not going to take any more for about a week. thanks again!

Hopefully you will feel better after the break. I'm often concerned with this too, since I take supplements.

Back