Can u apply a Rinse without a huge mess?

MissRissa

So with the rinse threads being abundant and some new colorshowers i bought, i figured i would like to put a rinse in my head. now mind you, I AM NOT A DIYer. at all. in any fashion. By the time i finished, my entire forehead/hairline, arms, hands, ears, neck was completely red. not to mention parts of my sink, tub, and a bowl.

Im a rinser myself and what i do is baste baste baste my head... with vaseline.. just cover your ears... your neck your forehead. Follow the directions on the rinse that usually tell you to apply 1/2 inch from the scalp. wear gloves. I also put vaseline on my wrists and forearms:yep:. I also rinse my hair on like a friday.. so that by monday any of my "indiscretions" are erased. Sounds extra but it worth it in terms of the clean up. gettin that rinse off can be quite the feat :wallbash:

Bless,
N. Rebels

Funny you started this thread, because I put a rinse in last night. I started and realized I didn't have any gloves but I was dying to see if I could cover these 6 grays right smack dab in the front of my head (plus, all those color showers threads were influencing me, too). Well, today at work I'm in a meeting thinking that people are going to think I'm dirty because of the rim of dye around my nails. :blush:

rinses are not messy. you just put some in your hand and then put it all through the hair. i usually apply a conditioner over it with a plastic bag and sit under the dryer for 30 minutes.

I don't find it to be too messy. I buy a bag of latex gloves from Home Depot (50 to 100 pair for a few dollars). They seem to be more expensive in the BSS. I sometimes squeeze my color into a glass bowl and use an applicator brush to apply it. When I use the brush, I have a lot of control (no dripping). My gloves are a mess, but I just throw them away.

Whenever I do a rinse, I use an applicator bottle. The process goes faster and it keeps all of the product contained.

The application is not the problem for me, it's the flinging around and getting dye all over the wall, sink & floor before I put on the cap or clip it up. Then, when I shower, it gets all over the inside of the shower as I work my hands through to rinse. Maybe I should increase the height of my shower head so there won't be so much splashing but then the force of spray would be diminished. Oh well, just chatting with myself I guess. :yawn:

maybe you should rinse the color out by bending over the bathtub instead of standing up.

kind of OT, do y'all know if it's ok to do a DC right after applying a color rinse?

Last edited:
I don't find it to be too messy. I buy a bag of latex gloves from Home Depot (50 to 100 pair for a few dollars). They seem to be more expensive in the BSS. I sometimes squeeze my color into a glass bowl and use an applicator brush to apply it. When I use the brush, I have a lot of control (no dripping). My gloves are a mess, but I just throw them away.

this is the best way to do it or buy the set at the bss store with the color bowl and brushes its about 4.99 and it comes with a color bowl and three different size brushes and a clip to section hair

I used to get all messy when applying rinse back in the day but now I don't. Firstly I wear gloves and never base any parts of my body and I still never get the rinse all over myself.

What I do is apply the rinse to my roots first, squeezing the rinse bottle and parting my hair from rear to front. After I am done with my roots, I go back and work the ends of my hair paying close attention to keeping my hair on the top of my head. To do the rear, I lean forward a little, squeezing and rubbing until my whole head is saturated in the rinse. I put a little extra on to make sure my hair is totally saturated. When I'm done, there may be a little product on my ears but not a lot.

The application is not the problem for me, it's the flinging around and getting dye all over the wall, sink & floor before I put on the cap or clip it up. Then, when I shower, it gets all over the inside of the shower as I work my hands through to rinse. Maybe I should increase the height of my shower head so there won't be so much splashing but then the force of spray would be diminished. Oh well, just chatting with myself I guess. :yawn:

I started washing mine in the sink for this reason... its easier to contain....who wants to scour bathroom walls rather than continue tending to their hair? :rolleyes: Kills the vibe!!! i learned my lesson after trynta bleach not- so shy -violet from my grout and tiles!!! :wallbash:

maybe you should rinse the color out by bending over the bathtub instead of standing up.

kind of OT, do y'all know if it's ok to do a DC right after applying a color rinse?

I'd highly recommend DCing after using a rinse.

Back to topic: I think w/practice, the mess decreases. I base my ears and edges as well and gloves are a must for the application and rinsing out process. I put my color in an applicator bottle usually and work in small sections, always in a backward motion and work thru w/my fingers. I wipe up any messes immediately. After I rinse out, I scrub my scalp and edges really well w/a moisturizing poo, then proceed to DC.

Funny you started this thread, because I put a rinse in last night. I started and realized I didn't have any gloves but I was dying to see if I could cover these 6 grays right smack dab in the front of my head (plus, all those color showers threads were influencing me, too). Well, today at work I'm in a meeting thinking that people are going to think I'm dirty because of the rim of dye around my nails. :blush:

lol girl the same happened to me, except it was red. all around my nail beds is redness, not to mention the splotches all on my arms and forehead. i know they were like "wtf was she doing last night", looking like a crime scene victim.

see this happened to me too, i have red splotches all over the bathroom

yeah i guess practice makes perfect, that was my first time. i only had 1 glove left in my bag 0' gloves and didn't realize it till its too late. see im retarded because i thought u only based for permanent color. the sad thing was that i originally attempted with the applicator brush but it seemed like it wasn't working well so i then just used my hands. thanks for the tips ladies!

OP. I always use a brush you can buy it at Sallys for like $1.25 or you can use an applicator bottle. When I refresh my color I don't just dump the color on my head. Its ok you didn't know, thats why we are here.:yep:

Back