Can steaming benefit braids under weave?

ZapMami

Just a question. I've been weaving up for about 5 months. My hair is growing like crazy but I am not retaining any growth. I get about 1 -2 inches every 3 months but have to cut off that much because of the dryness.A few years back I tried weaves and was successful my hair was silky and soft every time I took down my hair....I can't remember what I was using on my hair but I thought it was a mix of wild growth oil and African Braid spray and for some reason now it doesn't work. I keep trying to moisturize my hair using applicator bottles and different leave ins and oils but my hair is still dry and brittle when I take weave out. I was going to invest in steamer...I noticed some people say with crochet braids they keep there own hair moist with steamer so I'm thinking the same would be true with steamer. Has anyone had any luck with steaming hair while wearing weave?

I'm interested in knowing the same thing! I recently took out my crotchet braids and am ready for a weave. I just decided to purchase a steamer and have been looking up how to best moisturize my hair under the weave.

OP, EbonyCPrincess has several YT videos on how to take care of your hair while wearing a sew in etc. She has healthy hair practices.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but it may help with getting moisture to your braided hair.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

I steamed weekly while in a weave. Dilute your conditioner with water in a applicator bottle. Focus on your braids but don't forget the weave. Curly, wavy, kinky curly and other textures really benefits from the added moisture.

Constant steaming really infuses your hair with moisture. However it is no replacement for a water based leave in. Find the right one that works for your hair. My take down was easier and my hair shed less due to my steamer use

By steaming you don't worry about mildew or the braids not drying?

That is my biggest fear with me getting a weave. I just ordered some hair, but in trying to get as much info on weave wearing as possible.

After letting my hair air dry for a bit, I'll go back in with my hair dryer with a diffuser detached and blow dry on a warm, low setting. Focusing solely on areas that have not completely dried.

I install weaves and I'm an avid weave wearer. I have not tried steaming my braids mostly b/c I don't want them to be damp by anything other than a water based leave in.

OP, are you using your braid sprays once a day? Have you tried adding glycerin or oils to your braid spray? I am extra stuff to my braid spray and still use oils separately. I also make sure my hair is moisturized before I braid my hair up for an install.

By steaming you don't worry about mildew or the braids not drying? That is my biggest fear with me getting a weave. I just ordered some hair, but in trying to get as much info on weave wearing as possible.

ImanAdero I have my sew-in's installed and maintained at the salon by my stylist. While I've never had a steam treatment done when I had a sew-in; after washing/conditioning, she always sit me under a hooded dryer for 30 to 45 minutes to ensure the braids underneath are dry.

In theory it will help to keep your hair moisturized. But it's important to completely dry the braided hair afterwards to avoid bacteria growth and the nasty smell. I just recorded a vid of how I wash my real hair under my sew-in that I'll edit and post on Wednesday.

yes it is very important to thoroughly dry your hair/braids while in a weave. if your hair is not dried completely it could lead to mildew and matting of your hair. You should thoroughly dry your hair anytime you wash in a weave

Back