Can Someone Tell Me Where Bouncy Hair Comes From? (Swang??)

curlyninjagirl

So for the past couple of months my hair has been super "swangy". I'm a 4a natural and I have never seen my hair move like this! I usually wear medium two-strand twists and I was near an A/C unit and my twists were quivering in the wind! My best friend teased me (knows I'm hair obsessed) and told me to stop making my hair shake. I was like "I'm not, it's the A/C." And he looked over at my hair like "Whoa!" It was a small victory in my HHJ LOL.

Does anyone know where bounciness comes from or have any theories?

I think the more moisture that is in each hair strand the bouncier it will be. If you notice, dry hair is always a little more stiff.

Hmm, this sounds about right. I'm sort of crazy about the science of hair, so I always wanna know the "how" and the "why". I was turning around all these ideas in my head, like "oh, maybe it's the coconut oil," or "maybe my hair is being trained to go in a certain direction cuz my hair is ALWAYS in twists."

But the moisture thing definitely makes sense. After I got over a mild case of protein overload my hair was bouncier than ever. Maybe something to do with balance.

i would say my hair is healthy and it's moisturized at all times BUT i am 4b and i am stretching (2 months in 4 to go) and UNLESS i flat iron my hair or am fresh off a salon relaxer my hair just won't swing! (i'm NL/SL maybe when i get some length, like APL or BSL, it will regardless of new growth) Lol so i'll factor in hair type and length alongside moisture! JMHO

oh and also, not being heavy handed (which i am)

Last edited:
Back