Can someone make a post w/instructions on how to take your own pics?

I was trying to take some pics of myself the other day. I want to set up a fotki and put them in there and I need you guys help b/c I have some issues with my hair and choices to make. But anyway, it took me about 6 attempts to get the right shot. Surely there is some "art" to taking self pics where you can just put the camera up at a certain angle once and get that perfect shot without having to do it over and over again 10 times?

:yep:
Mess up:wallbash:, delete the one you messed up and keep trying :lachen:
Just kidding.
I'd like a better method than the one above that I've been using

:yep:
Mess up:wallbash:, delete the one you messed up and keep trying :lachen:
Just kidding.
I'd like a better method than the one above that I've been using
This is pretty much how I took pictures for the longest.
I know in my bathroom, the set up makes it easier to take photos. I put my camera on a shelf within the cabinet, stand in front of my medicine cabinet with my back towards the camera, set the camera's timer, wait 5-10 seconds (depending on the time I set it to) then VOILA, I've got myself a picture.

Try using a tripod and timer feature on your camera. That way you have time to position yourself and so forth. I never use it, but I see that I'll need to start so that I can get more back of the head shots that I'm lacking.

when i take a pic, i make sure my back is facing the bathroom mirror. And i have a handheld mirror in on hand and my camera in the other. Holding the handheld mirror behind the camera. The objective is to use the handheld mirror to look at the "preview" pic on the camera. I'm taking a pic of the reflection of my hair off the mirror. I really hope that makes sense. I'll post some pics, sometimes i get the right pic and i hold down the handheld mirror so it's not "in" the pic and sometimes i don't.
100_0340.jpg

drop the mirror
057-2.jpg

or
034.jpg

i usually take my pics in my bedroom. i take it near the window so i can get natural light and not have to use the flash. i put my camera on my windowsill, set the timer, sit on my floor, and take a few shots.

And don't forget the white balance! Most camera's have a white balance setting for indoor flourescent lighting to correct any "yellowing". Also, reading the manual does help.

Back