Can someone help me figure out my hair type? Pics

Not to throw a damper on your party but it might be longer than another 6 months before you figure out your hair type. Seriously! Sometimes your hair has to grow out a lot before you really see its true characteristics.

When it's short, it's going to spring back and be coilier. So don't go crazy with this just yet. Or ever actually, cause it really doesn't make much of a difference.

Not to throw a damper on your party but it might be longer than another 6 months before you figure out your hair type. Seriously! Sometimes your hair has to grow out a lot before you really see its true characteristics.

When it's short, it's going to spring back and be coilier. So don't go crazy with this just yet. Or ever actually, cause it really doesn't make much of a difference.

Thanks! I was just wondering since so many people refer to their hair type and talk about what products work which hair type

What does this mean?

Op you look like a 4a to me

:) it means that hair "types" can change depending on products, styling habits, etc in my opinion, and we shouldn't get caught up on typing it, but just celebrate it for its kinks, quirks, and allaround fabulousness and nurture it as our own, not a type or subtype...

OP i think it's lovely, but remember to keep it in perspective.

These pictures are too close for me to decide. Plus the angle is weird. Since it looks like you have enough hair, if you can back the camera up and get an angle from the root (hairline) to the tip, then we can see more of the length, texture, curl of the hair. Once you do that, you should repost. Another thing, don't feel bad for asking your hair type, its only normal to want to know. It may help some with product selection, so use that knowledge to your advantage.

What does this mean?

Op you look like a 4a to me

hmmm..I thought I was 4a but I see there are a lot of versions of every type therefore I give up. I know everyone wants to have a set to claim (type four! *in my ice cube voice*:lachen:) but I think once you've been in your natural hair journey for a while, you stop caring about the typing system all together. It's only been a year and a half for me and I'm already over it.

Last edited:
Looks like 4b but like empressri stated it really hard to tell at that short length. But I can tell that you fall under the 4 category versus the 3.

Back