Can someone explain hair textures (4A, 3c, etc.)?

tash3278

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie and just wanted to get a better idea of what the hair textures actually are. Also, due to my recent hair trauma (bad perm causing my bra-strap length hair to shed from the root dramatically), I am considering going natural and wanted the smoothest transition ever (hence why I was curious about the definitions of the hair textures). Can anyone help?

Thanks!!

There is also the LOIS hair typing system, which is arguably more helpful because it takes into account hair pattern / strand thickness / and hair texture.

Under LOIS I am OS / fine / spongy, where as under Andre's system I am "4B"

Lys

Alos hair type and texture are not interchangable. I do like the way the LOIS system works because it takes into account hair type/texture/thickness. Andres System seems to only describe curl pattern. Im a cottony 3c texture...but there are others who have the same 3c curl pattern and have silkier hair.

This is a bit confusing to me especially for black hair. I have a perm; is this based on permed hair or natural (the new growth)? :perplexed

I'll never understand the LOIS system. LOL.

I just try to read as much as I can from different sites and LHCF (though I'm more confused than before).

But, I've been told (and by looking at hair pics), I'm a wiry/coarse 4a/b. At least, I THINK. But how can one be a 4a/B, if the "b" has NO curl definition (or VERY little), and the person's hair has a curl when wet/loaded with product? :spinning:

Last edited:
I'll never understand the LOIS system. LOL.

I just try to read as much as I can from different sites and LHCF (though I'm more confused than before).

But, I've been told (and by looking at hair pics), I'm a wiry/coarse 4a/b. At least, I THINK. But how can one be a 4a/B, if the "b" has NO curl definition (or VERY little), and the person's hair has a curl when wet/loaded with product? :spinning:

That definition (black) is wrong because no one's DNA is so confused as not to send hair out with a formula, unless the person has some type of abnormal condition.

4B definitely has a coil pattern which is clearly seen on a BC'd head that was bald and that starts to sprout hair. The hair definitely comes out in cute circles. I am 4B.

4B coils just aren't seen on a daily basis because anyone with 4B hair knows that wearing the coils in their glory is just a recipe for tangles and breakage. So most times when you encounter 4B hair, it is manipulated to show no pattern, but it most certainly has coils, just like 4A, only 4B coils are so much smaller that they don't stand out or clump like 4A. So WNGs look crazy on 4B unless one has time to shingle...and then that's not WNG, it's shingling.

I share more in this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=456498

Last edited:
Then I REALLY have no idea what I am!!!! I believe I'm in the 4 category (maybe) but not really sure what that is supposed to feel look like. I guess I'll find out one way or another. I read but I don't have enough NG to really see the difference. HELP! lol

That definition (black) is wrong because no one's DNA is so confused as not to send hair out with a formula, unless the person has some type of abnormal condition.

4B definitely has a coil pattern which is clearly seen on a BC'd head that was bald and that starts to sprout hair. The hair definitely comes out in cute circles. I am 4B.

4B coils just aren't seen on a daily basis because anyone with 4B hair knows that wearing the coils in their glory is just a recipe for tangles and breakage. So most times when you encounter 4B hair, it is manipulated to show no pattern, but it most certainly has coils, just like 4A, only 4B coils are so much smaller that they don't stand out or clump like 4A. So WNGs look crazy on 4B unless one has time to shingle...and then that's not WNG, it's shingling.

I share more in this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=456498

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers--but that's what I've read about 4B. I'm sorry., really I am. :nono:

But YOU--I have followed closely in threads similar to these because you give a 'breakdown' of what 4B hair really is. :yep:

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers--but that's what I've read about 4B. I'm sorry., really I am. :nono:

But YOU--I have followed closely in threads similar to these because you give a 'breakdown' of what 4B hair really is. :yep:

You didn't ruffle any feathers. Not mine anyway. I just know there's a lot of misunderstanding so was only trying to explain.

Back