Can someone explain BSL and MBL?

chasturner84

I'm so confused! When I think of mid back, I think of the MIDDLE of my back! :rolleyes: I would think that BSL and MBL would be in the same general area. Should MBL be considered LBL (lower back length) as it is lower than BSL. Where did these acronyms originate? lol Help me out!!! :drunk:

Mid back length is the middle of your back. If your bra strap sits in the middle of your back then Mid back or BSL would be the same length on you.

It's not the same for everyone.

There's another thread going on this same topic.

BSL-Bra strap length. The bra strap is supposed to sit right beneath your shoulder blades. Since everyone wears their bras differently (and mostincorrectly), it's more accurate to use BSB, below shoulder blade length.

MBL-Mid back length. Look at your back, the midpoint between top and bottom is MBL on you. MBL can be before BSB or after, low or high, before or after waist, depending on the individual. Don't compare your mbl to anyone else's because it looks different on everyone.

Mid back length is the middle of your back. If your bra strap sits in the middle of your back then Mid back or BSL would be the same length on you.

It's not the same for everyone.

Gotcha! It's just that some ladies claim MBL when it looks like they are actually WL. I saw that most were using their lower back and calling it MBL...I got confused :rolleyes:

There's another thread going on this same topic.

BSL-Bra strap length. The bra strap is supposed to sit right beneath your shoulder blades. Since everyone wears their bras differently (and mostincorrectly), it's more accurate to use BSB, below shoulder blade length.

MBL-Mid back length. Look at your back, the midpoint between top and bottom is MBL on you. MBL can be before BSB or after, low or high, before or after waist, depending on the individual. Don't compare your mbl to anyone else's because it looks different on everyone.

Thanks! It looks like my MBL is around the same as my BSL...go figure

I agree with Auburn... It is the half way point between wl (behing navel) and bsl.

Inline, Behind navel isn't waist Line for all people though! it is the narrowest part of your torso, the inner most part when you bend side ways.

I'd say it is between waist length where ever yours may be and BSB!

My waistline is about 3-4 inches from MBL and mbl 3 inches from BSB and my navel is 2-3 inches from my true waistline :)

It depends on how your body is porpotioned some have a large torso, some have a small, some are big some are tall, we do all have a waist, hip and shoulder blade areas (gods will) so it is all about finding where yours are, your hips and waist are pretty easy to find, I am not going to lie my shoulder blades were hell to find and my hubby said I had fat back!

Last edited:
didnt we just do a thread like this lol. <--snickers) sometimes there really isnt a difference,depends on how tall you are.<shrugs

There needs to be an official thread about lengths but here's my understanding on measuring.

For measurements, keep your head in a natural relaxed position... not tilted to the side, back, or front. Also face straight ahead.

Ear Length (EL) - Hair stops at your ears
Chin Length (CL) - Hair stops at your chin
Neck Length (NL) - Can possibly be CL if your hair reaches your neck
Collarbone Length (CBL) - Hair that touches your collarbone
Shoulder Length (SL) - Hair that reaches the line if you drew a line from shoulder to shoulder (top shoulder edges)
Armpit Length (APL) - Hold your arms STRAIGHT DOWN and draw a line from the top of your pit fold to the other.
Bra strap Length (BSL) - Hair that reaches the bottom of your shoulder blade (BSBL)
Mid back Length (MBL) - A measurement half way between your (BSBL) and your waist
Waist Length (WL) - The smallest width of where your sides dip in
Tailbone Length (TBL) - Where your hair touches your tailbone
Hip Length (HL) - Hair reaching the widest part of your hips

Some people measure by their shortest layer, longest layer, hair at a blunt state, or with a few hairs touching it.

:yep: yep! I tried to find a blank kind of chart for a woman lots of men came up, but If we could actually find the womans chart to place the side ways and back and front!

So according to sewing area measurements Upper Bust is APL (hair forum Lingo :) )

Lower Bust is MBL

BUST is BSL

and the rest is as is! LOL

BUT then again there goes those perky boobs, that don't sag! :(

There needs to be an official thread about lengths but here's my understanding on measuring.

For measurements, keep your head in a natural relaxed position... not tilted to the side, back, or front. Also face straight ahead.

Ear Length (EL) - Hair stops at your ears
Chin Length (CL) - Hair stops at your chin
Neck Length (NL) - Can possibly be CL if your hair reaches your neck
Collarbone Length (CBL) - Hair that touches your collarbone
Shoulder Length (SL) - Hair that reaches the line if you drew a line from shoulder to shoulder (top shoulder edges)
Armpit Length (APL) - Hold your arms STRAIGHT DOWN and draw a line from the top of your pit fold to the other.
Bra strap Length (BSL) - Hair that reaches the bottom of your shoulder blade (BSBL)
Mid back Length (MBL) - A measurement half way between your (BSBL) and your waist
Waist Length (WL) - The smallest width of where your sides dip in
Tailbone Length (TBL) - Where your hair touches your tailbone
Hip Length (HL) - Hair reaching the widest part of your hips

Some people measure by their shortest layer, longest layer, hair at a blunt state, or with a few hairs touching it.

Last edited:
shoulderlength-1.jpg

Back