Can Protective Styles Dry Out Your Ends?

KinksnCurlz

I'm on a roll today with the posts
laugh.gif

I've been wearing my bun religiously for some time now. I like how i don't have to really do anything to my hair other than wash it and airdry. BUT at the same time, i feel like it's drying my ends out. The only time my ends look nice is when I wear my hair out (amazing huh?) Lately, i've been slathering some castor oil (like vaseline) on my ends but i can't STAND that greasy feeling. Is there something I could use that is fairly light and doesn't leave that 'heavy' feeling, on a daily basis, to keep my ends moisturized and healthy? I've been thinking about trimming my ends even tho they r not split? HELP!
TIA

i wonder the same thing honee
smile.gif

i like this air-drying thing (minus the shedding/breakage) and want to perfect it...

i really like qp elasta recovery b/c it is very light and it does'nt weigh my hair down (which is a biggie for me b/c everything weighs my hair down) also, h-two leave-in is very moisturizing.

most protective styles seem to dry my ends out. I always wear my hair out now. The ends do much better...
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I've been thinking about doing the same thing Sherry. Maybe putting it up 2 days out of the week instead of 7, just to give my ends time to breath. A high ponytail will definately keep my ends from rubbing against my clothing so i won't have to worry too much about split ends.

CH, PLEASE! Do not, do not, do NOT trim your ends if you have no damage and don't want a neat line (blunt, U, V, etc). You're cutting away growth for no reason.

To keep your ends moist, try a little conditioner. Twist the last inch of your hair around while applying a small dallop of conditioner. This should keep your ends moist and supple for a few days. It's light, non-greasy, and it works.

I think hair should breathe at some point. If your hair isn't going to rub and break, wear a ponytail. Plus it's getting warm, your back will be bare soon enough!
wink.gif

Have you tried the EVOO oil treatments? Boadicea recommended them to DSD to cure dryness. I agree w/her again today... conditioner is great and incredibly light. But I think if you do the oil treatment first you'll be happy.

Thanks B, I tried the EVOO treatment last night, me likey!
smile.gif

I've stopped doing my pre-treatment (with evoo,honey,conditioner) for some strange reason
scratchchin.gif
... im gonna start back up 2nite.

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
I'm on a roll today with the posts
laugh.gif

I've been wearing my bun religiously for some time now. I like how i don't have to really do anything to my hair other than wash it and airdry. BUT at the same time, i feel like it's drying my ends out. The only time my ends look nice is when I wear my hair out (amazing huh?)

[/ QUOTE ]
This is interesting. I was just rereading parts of Cathy Howse's website (might be in her book too) and she said the same thing. She said she doesn't wear protective styles like buns or french rolls because it's the hair rubbing against the other hair that dries out the ends. She always wears her hair out and when she moisturizes her ends, they stay more moisturized than tucking her ends up.

Perhaps its the air drying, now that I roller set and use ORS Olive Oil Sheen, my ends are strangely more moisturised than the roots especially in my protective pin curl style. I have tried air drying in the past and I ended up with dry brittle ends no matter what I used, I agree also that your hair does need to breath at some stage, my mum always tells me off for this, having all this hair and not letting it breath or showing it off, occassionally.

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
most protective styles seem to dry my ends out. I always wear my hair out now. The ends do much better...
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

weird.gif
I agree!! My ends always look beat up after wearing a bun...
crazy.gif
I wear my hair out a lot and it's been doing fine.
smile.gif

I've worn my hair down ever since I was in middle school and I grew shoulder length hair and I didnt have a problem. I hardly moisturized my ends...I would use a curling iron everyday once I learned how to use them in high school...I guess it really does depend on what works best for your hair

[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
S-Curl does it for me
smile.gif
It keeps my ends nice and moist..

[/ QUOTE ]

me too
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
LOL
yeah, im staying out of the OT section and sticking to the threads that can actually help me
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OOOKKKKKAAAYYY!!!
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif
It's been live over there the last few days! Then I get a PM saying did you read this or that. I had to say, "No, I'm trying to stay focused on what I came here for!".
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back on topic: Get back to your pre-poo treatments. I find that I cycle things out and then wonder what happened.
crazy.gif
laugh.gif
I would like to do a "hair down" challenge, but I have "hair down" phobia.
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

weird.gif
I agree!! My ends always look beat up after wearing a bun...
crazy.gif
I wear my hair out a lot and it's been doing fine.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i was just thinking the other day, that my middle hair where i put the bun and my ends are a hot mess.

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found the same to be true with my hair.

I've been wearing my hair "out" too meaning that my ends are exposed. Though I am doing updos a lot so that my ends are not touching my clothes. I just find a bun not too attractive on me.

Thanks to surge I am getting an unbeleivable amount of new growth and so my hair is not sitting to well in my ponytails. So now that I can detangle better I am setting my hair and wearing it out from now on.

I've read many posts here from ladies growing out their hair wearing it out, successfully and at a good rate too. The main thing it keeping the hair and ends moisturized and using minimal or no heat.

Thanks for posting this thread!! Great topic!! I agree with you in that my ends are starting to look rough when air dried. I've decided after my next retouch that I'm going to start getting rollersets through the first five to six weeks post relaxer and where my hair flatironed once per week the remainder weeks leading up to my retouch. I'm sick of buns and I think I'm getting breakage from wearing them.
pooh123

I know this thread is a little old but I found the perfect product that will helped my ends. Alot of people don't like profectives mega-growth because it's to thick right? Well it works great on my ends! Its thick so the scrunchie isn't going to just asorb it right away. By the end of the day when I take it out of the bun its not greasy or dry feeling. Just right
smile.gif

Back