Can Patches of hair....

• Thread starter Thread starter QT
  • Start date Start date

QT

Grow out without a BC? My sister’s hair has fallen out in 3 patches due to her medications. She has NL hair and doesn’t want to do a BC Does anyone have any advice, I can pass along? TIA :yep:

She can do it. I have had that happen to me many of times because of pressing my hair with a hot comb that was too hot and burned my hair right off at the root.:drunk: She just needs a style that can hide the spots or use a wig.

She can do it. I have had that happen to me many of times because of pressing my hair with a hot comb that was too hot and burned my hair right off at the root.:drunk: She just needs a style that can hide the spots or use a wig.

WoW!!! I'm sure you stay away from pressing. How long did it take your hair to recover? What was your methods?

I have grown back bald patches without having to BC.

Because I dust regularly, in time the newly filled patch had grown as long as the rest of the hair. I found the patch in December 2003 and share that story in this thread, with updates later in the thread.

The pics below were taken in 2006, not to track that previously bald spot's progress, but the bottom right pic does show the general area that was bald and as you can see the hair is as long as everywhere else:
BraidsPressedHair120806-vi.jpg

I have grown back bald patches without having to BC.

Because I dust regularly, in time the newly filled patch had grown as long as the rest of the hair. I found the patch in December 2003 and share that story in this thread, with updates later in the thread.

The pics below were taken in 2006, not to track that previously bald spot's progress, but the bottom right pic does show the general area that was bald and as you can see the hair is as long as everywhere else:
BraidsPressedHair120806-vi.jpg

((((((((Hugs)))))))) Thanks Nonie!!! Did you wear your hair the entire time during this process? One side of her head is mostly gone :( and it's difficult to wear her own hair in any style.

((((((((Hugs)))))))) Thanks Nonie!!! Did you wear your hair the entire time during this process? One side of her head is mostly gone :( and it's difficult to wear her own hair in any style.

You're welcome. :kiss:

I was in braids which I do myself so they hid the bald spot for me.

For a change, I got a phony puff and while I had the hair in front cornrowed, I'd plait the hair in the back in just square plaits and then put that puff over them to hide the exposed too-short-to-plait spot:

ornrowsnoextensionwithCozyPuff-vi.jpg

You're welcome. :kiss:

I was in braids which I do myself so they hid the bald spot for me.

For a change, I got a phony puff and while I had the hair in front cornrowed, I'd plait the hair in the back in just square plaits and then put that puff over them to hide the exposed too-short-to-plait spot:

ornrowsnoextensionwithCozyPuff-vi.jpg

I think that style would be great for her.... however, one of her patch is in the middle of her head and hard to diguise. I'm going to take to one of my friends just to see if she can braid it up and wear a phony pony.

I think that style would be great for her.... however, one of her patch is in the middle of her head and hard to diguise. I'm going to take to one of my friends just to see if she can braid it up and wear a phony pony.

Depending on where it is, she could wear a pony higher up on her head, or to the side with a flower on the other side as if the idea was to move the puff to the side so a flower can be placed in that middle spot.

Or even better would be finding a wig.

Before I found the phony puff I posted, I had started to undo my braids with that idea in mind. Only like dunderhead, I undid the braids BEFORE I had the puff handy. Then I ran to Sally's to get one. They didn't have any type 4 hair partial wigs. They did have something that looked like type 3--which was the closest to my hair coz all others were straight. I was desperate as I had undone my braids and now had the spot exposed so I had to make something work. When I got home I opend the bag to find out that idiot at Sally's who'd said it was a partial wig had lied and had sold me tracks. :wallbash: Since the next day was a holiday (meaning stores closed) then back to work, I became creative (Necessity is the mother of invention.) I took a pair of old tights and cut off the legs. Then I stitched the holes up to make a cap. I put the cap over my stuffed bunny's head and sewed the tracks as best as I could trying to think of how dolls have hair sewn on.

When I put the cap on my head, I looked like a drag queen gone bad. The hair was so long and so fake looking (brownish glossy with blond highlights) that I almost panicked. Not to mention that if I leaned over on one side, the hair just parted exposing the brown tights. But I stayed focus. I needed to solve the problem at hand; no time to cry. I had to make it work. I started trying to figure out how to keep the hair from exposing my scalp and realized the BLACK nets that came with the hair might come in handy. And they did. :yep: They helped keep the hair all compact and together as if it was an afro instead of jheri curl like tendrils. And you know what, it worked. The next day I got so many compliments. The tights' elastic served to hold the "phony puff" on although I will recommend pins so you don't have the accident I had on one of the days I rocked that puff.

I tell that story because it might give you an idea, but I also wanted to show you how much of my head that puff covered:
nrowsHomemadePuffFrontSideView-vi.jpg

BTW, remember how fake that hair looked? The dark net really made it look less doll-ish and I got so many compliments even from my black friends who knew it wasn't my hair.

I don't know if your sister likes headwraps or hats but that's another thing she could do on days she doesn't want to deal with hiding the patch.

Yes, hair has an amazing way of 'healing' itself. She won't have to do a big chop. Our class asked our science teacher this question in high school. He said hair cells or follicles have memory. It's one reason why when a person cuts their hair it grows back quickly until it reaches where it used to be. Bangs grow out superfast. I'm sure this applies to hair that has fallen out.

She will just need patience and give it time but I'm sure she'll see results quickly.

Thanks ladies!!!!! I suggested the wigs options to her and she said yes. Right now she keeps it in slick tiny ponytail. I hate that this happened to her.

Back