Can natural hair

karezone

Be washed in plaits or braids?

I am asking for a friend. The hair is 100% natural and is currently in plaits like a child would wear. In fact it is a child. She throws a fit when she gets her hair washed and as a result she goes 2 months before it gets washed again.

I am going to wash it myself this Friday and I think that she might let me do it if it stays in the plaits. But if this is going to turn into a big mess with knots and stuff I won't do it.

I don't know about plaits or braids, but I know that my hair can be washed easily in loose twists. If the hair is detangled prior to wetting then cleansing and conditioning is really easy.

I'm not sure how effective shampooing will be if the hair is braided. For some reason I can imagine the hair being fully clean if its braided during shampooing.

I used to wash my nieces hair normally, detangle it with conditioner, and put it in 4-6 loose braids and then rinse with the braids in. She had VERY thick 3b/3c hair that tangled easily and was almost to her waist.

mine could, that's the only way I could shampoo it when it was longer w/out getting horrible tangles

I washed my transitioning hair in six plaits twice a week. Best way to avoid major knots and tangles. I would take each plait down to detangle under running water and then immediately braid it back up.

This the now the only way that I wash my hair. I have been doing this for over a year and will never go back

Every 2 weeks, I section my hair in 6 large twists & apply my hot oil treatment to each section. After my treatment, I then shampoo and condition each section separately in order to avoid serious tangles.

This way I know that my hair has been throughly treated, shampooed and conditioned accordingly

Also I have just started wearing my natural hair in cornrows without extensions and I condition wash almost everyday.

Every 2 weeks, I undo the my cornrows and wash my hair as above.

rosalindb said:
Also I have just started wearing my natural hair in cornrows without extensions and I condition wash almost everyday.
How exactly do you wear them? I want to ware cornrows too but need some style tips. TIA!

naturallady said:
How exactly do you wear them? I want to ware cornrows too but need some style tips. TIA!
I just wear my cornrows simply going back, I have just found a young girl who lives near me to cornrow my hair so it is just pretty simple and nothing fancy

Yes it can. I wear my hair in twists or box braids (with no extetions) for extended periods of time (3-4 weeks) and I wash my hair when ever I feel like it. Just like I would if my hair were loose. It can be done.

Just make sure to rinse really, really well before (to loosen the dirt) and after. I washed in braids occasionally while transitioning and somtimes conditioner or shampoo would be stuck in the braids when I unravelled it.

rosalindb said:
This the now the only way that I wash my hair. I have been doing this for over a year and will never go back

Every 2 weeks, I section my hair in 6 large twists & apply my hot oil treatment to each section. After my treatment, I then shampoo and condition each section separately in order to avoid serious tangles.

This way I know that my hair has been throughly treated, shampooed and conditioned accordingly

Every 2 weeks, I undo the my cornrows and wash my hair as above.

I wash my hair very similar to this. My hair is 99% of the time in braids, cornrows, and twists. I wash on average every 2 or 3 days. I only redo the braids every 2-4 weeks. I wear them under half wigs (worn as full wigs). Every 2 months, I wash/condition my hair in 4 plaits, unravel, detangle, and replait one by one.

if you go to the grow afro hair long site, she has a page explaining how to was hair (natural) in braids or plaits and even says its the better way.

okay. I am going to do it this friday and I will post the results.

I will wash it and condition it in the braids and allow it to air dry overnight. Saturday or Sunday, I will see if she will let me press it lightly.

Back