Can leaving conditioner in too long dry your hair out?

SweetSpirit86

I know this may seem like a stupid question, but I started trying out the Giovanni Smooth As Silk shampoo and conditioner in addition to my coconut oil, and Elast-i-Tea leave-in regimen. When I used the Shampoo, my hair was sooo soft :grin:...but then I used the Conditioner and I left it in for oh....3ish hours (started doing things around the house and figured it should be okay). I go to rinse it out, and it just feels DRY. I'll list the ingredients of both.

Smooth As Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo:
INGREDIENTS: Aqua with rosemary extract, citrus aurantium dulcis (valencia orange) extract, mango extract, lemongrass extract, ginko biloba extract, echinacea angustifolia extract, willow bark, sea kelp extract, matricaria leaf extract, lavender extract, grapefruit extract, soybean extract, sodium c14-16 olefin sulfonate, cocamide MEA, cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium chloride, acrylates copolymer, glycol distearate, amodimethicone, sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, cocamidopropyl hydroxysultaine, decyl glucoside, ethylhexylglycerin, disteareth-75 IPDI, C11-15 pareth-7, citrict acid, c12-16 pareth-9, glycerin, trideceth-12, phenoxyethanol, fragrance with essential oils.

Smooth As Silk Deep Moisture Conditioner:
INGREDIENTS: Aqua with rosemary extract, valencia orange extract, mango extract, lemongrass extract, ginko biloba extract, echinacea angustifolia extract, willow bark, sea kelp extract, matricaria leaf extract, lavender extract, grapefruit extract, soybean extract, cetyl alcohol, steraryl alcohol, hydrolyzed soy protein, centrimonium bromide, butylene glycol, phenoxyethanol, ethylhexylglycerin, fragrance with essential oils.

Directions: Apply daily after shampoo. massage through to ends before rinsing thorougly.

So it doesn't give a timeframe so I didn't think it would be an issue. I'm the most suspect about the ingredients I put in bold.

Also, for the coconut oil. I'm using unrefined coconut oil from a local health food store...says to put in for an hour and rinse out. Any of you ladies have another way you use it?

Hi Sweet Spirit - the protein in this maybe causing the dryness - I always leave moisturizing condishes in my hair for an extended amount of time (lazy) and sometimes let them dry in my hair then rinse and it left my hair still soft with slip - however I only do this with either my AO HSR, GPB (not a moisturizing condish but feels like it) and Nexxus Humectress -

Probably using your condish with some heat for about 15-30 minutes will make your hair feel soft - HTH

That may very well be it. I take vitamins, and we eat pretty decently (except when I start working alot I turn to fast food too much :ohwell:). I'll try that and see how it goes. If not, I may have to toss it. :cry2:

I stopped using Giovanni SAS because of those ingredients (not natural enough for me), even though I loved the conditioner. Anyway, try it just as a rinse out and see how your hair feels. If it still feels dry then that conditioner just isn't for you.

As far as coconut oil, there are a million ways to use it. I've used it overnight on wet hair as a conditioner and rinsed it in the morning. I use it to detangle my wet hair as I'm braiding it up to go under my wig. I use it on my wash and go's. I use it on my scalp. I use it on my face.

Basically, I use it for everything. Coconut oil is great for the hair because it's one of the few oils that can penetrate the strand. It helps to slow protein loss from the hair. And, it helps to reduce damage when combing while wet. I love it.

Back