Can it happen?

Mufasa

Hi all,

Please look at the picture below. I love this style. I currently have virgin hair. With the help of many folks - thanks guys -
wave.gif
I have collected information on what to do for a perm. I have *some* idea for a texturizer (which is what I think she has) but am not quite sure. Does anyone out there have a style like this? BTW, in case you are wondering it was - ahem - "borrowed" from the curve-salon site. Can't get to New York though
frown.gif

http://www.curve-salon.com/monthlypromo.htm

TIA.

That girl's hair is freakin' gorgeous...for some reason, though, I think that is her natural hair. I know very little about texturizers except that it is a relaxer that is left in your hair for less time...just enough to break down the wave pattern a bit. Good luck...Im sure the ladies on this site can offer advice.

There is a thread on texturizers going on right now. I also saw you on the self relaxing tips. By virtue of the fact that you have LONGGGGGGGGG virgin hair, I would really advise you to go to the professionals. You can find a stylist who you could possibly trust from this site or from your circle of friends (hey i got that in
grin.gif
)

I'm not putting down your abilities to self relax/self texturize but with the hair length you have, it would be quite easy to overprocess.

Mufasa, how long have you been natural and how have you been wearing your hair?

Have you been considering texturising for a long time now?

I ask these questions because many who have texturised get to the point of wishing they had remain natural.

There are some wonderful style alernatives that will give you great looks without having to alter your hair especially if all you would like is to lightly loosen the curl.

Read the Henna threads and the straighten hair the natural way thread before you go the permanant route.

This lady has great styles take a look: http://public.fotki.com/yantecoi/

This is the super long Henna thread, I didn't read more than the fist page but I think you will find it helpful. Just DO NOT do repeat processes in under a month.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=48449&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Hi Guys - thanks so much for responding
laugh.gif

I have been lurking and asking for a bit. I guess I am just totally nervous about the whole thing - I have already chickened out twice! It is actually the pain of what I remember that kinda gets me to put the weave back in (instead of taking the plunge!).

Greetings again CurlyCrly,
I have not given myself a perm/texurizer before. It was the reason why I have been asking questions (and probably asking the same question again
tongue.gif
) on the sites.

Say Londongirl - I would not mind getting some help in this area - unfortunately, I now live in what we shall say - in a far away place. I would prefer to do it at home though - I am not sure when I'll get back there. Besides, I am not too trusting of the stylists. Someone said that if their hair was to be ruined, they would do it themselves - I have been seeking a plausible application technique so that would not happen.

I am amazed at all of the ladies coming out with good experiences with beauticians. I was *never* so lucky
frown.gif
Besides, I feel that the beauticians now would not be able to deal with my head of hair. I am reminded of another experience: they would just look at it, shake their head, criticize me for it being so "nappy", slap on a perm (overprocessing it), and then move on to the next dollar - er - excuse me - customer.

That was another factor contributing to me going down the road I am no now. I agree - overprocessing can be EZ - that was why I was considering to do it in pieces/parts - I was going to ask a friend spot me though
wink.gif

Greetings JazzAngel,
[ QUOTE ]
Mufasa, how long have you been natural and how have you been wearing your hair?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have been natural for quite a while - I want to say close to 8 years - give or take one - I don't remember. I now keep it in the braided/weaved style because I was too lazy to deal with it on my own - especially given the length and thickness
shocked.gif
Sometimes it bugs me ...

[ QUOTE ]

Have you been considering texturising for a long time now?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, for a very long time. I saw Lonnice's book and then tried to get to be that way. My sibling - bless her heart - tried to do it for me a few years ago - well, let's say 8. Unfortunately, we didn't have any neurtralizer
shocked.gif
- and - I am sure you can guess the rest
laugh.gif
But - it has grown back now.

[ QUOTE ]

I ask these questions because many who have texturised get to the point of wishing they had remain natural.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have been looking high and low for a natural solution
frown.gif
I don't know of one unfortunately. I have been chasing solutions that seem to work well for the 3C folks. My hair tends to shrink up and dry. Don't get me wrong, I have had some times when my hair was really great. I was happy about this and thought "Say! I don't need a perm!". I have had folks compliment me on my own hair (which has never happened to me before) - but - the problem is in duplication
frown.gif
It just seems to be a crap shoot sometimes. I thought that a texturizer would allow for some sort of consistency. If I do "A" and then follow with "B", then I will get "C". I don't want to use chemicals - then again, I am tired of the weave - I guess I am at a point now where I want to look decent with my own hair and wanted more styling options than buns, twitsts or dreadlocks.

[ QUOTE ]

Read the Henna threads and the straighten hair the natural way thread before you go the permanant route.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you for the advice. I had seen the threads. I thought with my hair texture, that it could not possibly work for me. I have a rather generous product graveyard of items that folks say worked wonders on their hair - I just have gotten a little frustrated with the grooming action now. My head is shaped in such a way that it needs hair in order to look decent. The only way that this can happen (with my hair now) is with a blowout - which is not good for the hair at all. I have also noticed that when just "wearing it out" after such a process, people have more of a tendency to want to put their hands in it
mad.gif
- mind you, it is not exactly shaped now. So, I wind up putting it into a bun or securing it with some clips. Not exactly flattering ....

[ QUOTE ]

This lady has great styles take a look: http://public.fotki.com/yantecoi/

[/ QUOTE ]
I have seen her hair. I saw it before her album went "On Haitus" status. It was beautiful! I think that she is more of a 3C though. I don't think our hair is similar and I don't want to delude myself into thinking what worked for her would work for me.

[ QUOTE ]

This is the super long Henna thread, I didn't read more than the fist page but I think you will find it helpful. Just DO NOT do repeat processes in under a month.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=48449&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you again for the pointer. It would be nice to see it work on someone who has hair like mine though. To be quite honest, I had thought about doing the light texturizer only *once* and then trying the Milk and/or Henna options to ween myself back off perms. If these products can naturally soften/straighten the hair, then I should not need another texturizer. I don't know how realistic this approach is though
frown.gif

I don't want my hair straight. I like the elasticity of it and what I have been able to accomplish with it (naturally) in the past. I just want to be able to have many styling options, less time; and, above all, consistency. I hope such a thing is possible ...

Thanks guys!

Kind Regards.

You could get this look EASILY with texturized hair, but don't rush yourself. Make sure you're ready before you take the plunge.

Since you've never relaxed your hair before, I'd suggest that you practice by applying a conditioner which is of similar consistency as the relaxer. You don't want to spend too much time applying it and end up with hair that is straighter than you'd like. You need to get your timing down to a minimum. This is crucial.

You could try twist out or briad out, someone posted how to do it and get good results. That might work b/4 you chemically process your hair just for 1 hairstyle.
hth

[ QUOTE ]
You could try twist out or briad out, someone posted how to do it and get good results. That might work b/4 you chemically process your hair just for 1 hairstyle.
hth

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly what I thought she would have gained from Yante Coi's albums. Twist and braid out!

No two heads of hair are exactly the same but there is no telling what your version will look like. I create two braids, one on each side with melted shea butter. In the morning I open it out and it hangs quite well.
It effortless.

Girl, to have virgin hair is a blessing. I would not go and put a texturizer in it.

First of all, everyone's hair looks different with at texturizer. I know a girl who got a texturizer and ended up with a lot of straight ends that she had to apply gel to and it looked like one big mess.

You can definitely achieve the look you want with a braidout/twistout. Did you say you have 3C hair? It should work great.

Keep in mind that the more you texturize, the looser your curl will become and you'll end up wishing you had kept your own lovely locks.

Lakinkyfemme

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all,

Please look at the picture below. I love this style. I currently have virgin hair. With the help of many folks - thanks guys -
wave.gif
I have collected information on what to do for a perm. I have *some* idea for a texturizer (which is what I think she has) but am not quite sure. Does anyone out there have a style like this? BTW, in case you are wondering it was - ahem - "borrowed" from the curve-salon site. Can't get to New York though
frown.gif

http://www.curve-salon.com/monthlypromo.htm

TIA.

[/ QUOTE ]

mufasa why don't you try the coconut milk thing my sister is comletely natural down her middle of the back uses it and loves it helps loosens the cule and makes it extremel;y shiny give it a try girl what can you loose see ya
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind that the more you texturize, the looser your curl will become and you'll end up wishing you had kept your own lovely locks.

Lakinkyfemme

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not necessarily true. If she doesn't relax often and takes care not to overlap, she will be fine. I have a friend who has been texturized for 8 years and her hair looks like the woman in the picture, but it's much longer.

Yante Coi's hair is very, very pretty, but there are very few braid-outs/twist-outs on NATURAL hair that look like hers. IMO

Nevermind. I see that it is a texturizer.

From the Curve Salon website:

A popular service we offer at Curve is the Silkener. This is a service that uses a very mild lye-based chemical (sodium hydroxide) which processes for about 5 to 9 minutes. It's the process of silkening or softening the form of the hair fiber.

The Silkener has a few functions. It serves as a permanent defrizzant, loosening any curl, kink, or wave, giving more length. It also creates a more silky, shiny curl pattern. The great thing about a Silkener is that you have the versatility of wearing your hair both curly and straight without frizz or swell.

Right. That's why I posted the links to photos of women at Curve salon who did not get any chemical services, ie, silkener.
smile.gif

Mufsa....
Yantecoi is where I learned to do the 'coils'...that is how she(and I ) gets the curls. It's like drying your hair in a straw set...only more natural looking and alot easier. Try it. I also use Carol's Daugher Health hair butter....she was my inspiration and where I learned how to do this. Here is another lady who sets her hair in coils... scroll all the way to the bottom...
http://www.geocities.com/blaknappy/skillsminijournal.html

I am natural and I wear my hair like that sometimes. I would twist damp hair. When I get tired of my twists I would undo them and voila I have a style similar to the girl in the picture.

Back