Can I get my jet black hair a lighter color with henna?

zzirvingj

If I am understanding correctly, I cannot get my jet black hair lighter with a semi-permanent rinse, and I do not want to permanently dye my hair. It would be nice if I could get it lighter with henna. Is this possible? Where can I go to find out more info on this?? I'm not trying to go very light, a nice dark auburnish-brownish would be cool.

TIA!!

chocolatesis said:
I think that henna will probably just give you reddish highlights. Did you use permanent dye to get your hair jet black?

Yes, over a black color, henna would probably give you a cherry coke like reddish tint.

I have never dyed my hair and it is nearly jet black, I want highlights but I am afraid of the damage, I wonder if I did henna would that really give me any change in color also? That’s one of the reasons I am afraid to henna. I doubt it will make my hair lighter tho.

Henna cannot, and will not make your hair lighter. Henna acts as an overlay, and will show up as reddish highlights on your current color.

Lemon and Honey are both known as natural ways to lighten your hair - I think there are a couple of threads on that here....

Only a permanant color that contains ammonia or peroxide can lighten or "lift" dark hair. Henna and rinses work by depositing color on the strand and therefore cannot lighten your hair. But you would get gorgeous highlights and healthier hair and a good deal of shine from using henna!;)

Only the roots of my hair that were not dyed turned a reddish-brown from the henna. So I had reddish-brown hair on about 4 inches from the roots and jet black on the remaining length.

Back