Can I Get Braids Put in with a TWA?

shinyblackhair

Hello all,

I had my BC back at the end of October and it's growing out nicely. When I did the BC I only had about 8 weeks of NG so as you can imagine I didn't have much hair. Now, that my hair is growing it doesn't have that cute look. My hair is very thick, even when relaxed I was mistaken for a natural, lol because it is so thick. I'd like to hide my hair for a bit until I have a substantial bit of length to do different styles. I was thinking of getting braids - something that I've never really been into before now. I was wondering, how much length does one need to get braids? I've only got an inch and half to maybe 2 inches in the longer sections.

Thanks!

Thanks. I am concerned that they'd be falling out...that is a def no no, lol. So you had no trouble with your braids staying in then?

I would recommend that you have at least 3 to 4 inches of hair.

I had individuals on my 1 month post BC (hair measured at most 2 inches) braids did not last. Then it depends on the braider they need to be experienced in braiding natural short hair. Otherwise when I did my first wash in braids 1 week after having my braids I could literally slide them off my own hair. Waste of money for me.

Now my hair is 3 inches and I am able to at least go get a sewin if I wanted. I have thick hair so most braiders will have to braid your hair a bit smaller if they need to as larger ones don't stay.

If you are talking about cornrows that's different as you have a base and no tension pulling down on the hair like individuals.

Yes You can, I know some Females that can grip Baby hair, just so long as they don't cause tension.

Thanks. I am concerned that they'd be falling out...that is a def no no, lol. So you had no trouble with your braids staying in then?

I got micro's and my braider was VERY good at what she does. I transitioned for 6 months. Next time i plan on blowing my hair out prior to getting it braided.

Yes You can, I know some Females that can grip Baby hair, just so long as they don't cause tension.
Now that's funny to even picture that!!!!

ITA with Neala21, because that's the last thing you want to go through besides the time invested and the money spent on getting them done is to wash a wk or so later to have them fall out! That happened to me yrs ago, and ever since I waited until I had at least 3-4 in to work with. But at the same time there are some serious pros out there that can braid as well as africans and grip on to anything under an inch. You definately want to be safe than sorry! Take it from me.

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess I should go with my gut and wait it out a couple more months. I just can't do the wash and go thing anymore now. It is minus 20 outside and swine flu is going around, lol. I don't want to get sick, lol. I'll just invest in some wigs! I'm going out later and I plan to wear a super long straight half wig with a cute hat over it! I'll be a whole 'nother chick today, :lol:

Back