Can applyig Gel destroy your hair?

I_shure_do_wish

My younger sister consisantly applies gel to her hair and her hair is always dried out. Can this ruin her hair and her hair line. And is there any alternative other than geling your hair?

I personally don't use gel because I don't like the hard feeling. I like my hair to flow. lol. I think it is damaging to my hair. Some people may be different. I use creams instead of gel to lay my hair down. btw, ur microbraids look great! how long did it take you to do them?

Gel can destroy your hair because most people use the BLACK gels which have way too much protein in them. Alot of the gels also have alcohol in them ,which is too drying to the hair. Elasta QP Glaze is better for the health of hair :)

Are there any alternatives to gel. But I am gonna suggest my sister to buy that since I have seen it plenty times before at our local hair supply store. But I was once told that wetting your hair and applying vasline helps to get that slicked look you want.

Gels are bad IF:
They're protein gels
They contain alcohol
When people brush/comb or manipulate their gelled hair after it has hardened

I use a protein and alcohol free gel, but despite the fact, whenever I use it I add an oil or cream to soften it up, and make sure not to mess with it until I wash it out.

I use Fantasia IC Gel w/ Sparklites (the blue one) and I LOVE it! It doesn't make my hair too hard or crunchy. It moisturizes AND provides great hold. This gel is a staple in my transition. I've considered going to the more "natural" ingredient gels, but I just can't part with the Fantasia.

It contains no drying alcohols, but I believe that it does contain a wheat protein. Before applying it to my hair (I wear my hair mainly in a bun) I spritz my hair with water, apply some type of moisturizer (Alma & Olive Heavy Cream, Shea Butter, or etc.). After rubbing that in, I apply the gel and brush my hair back into the bun.

nubianqt86 said:
Gels are bad IF:
They're protein gels
They contain alcohol
When people brush/comb or manipulate their gelled hair after it has hardened

I use a protein and alcohol free gel, but despite the fact, whenever I use it I add an oil or cream to soften it up, and make sure not to mess with it until I wash it out.

Ditto!
I personally like FOTE Vitamn E Gel and Long Aid Curl Activator Gel, both are moisturizing and alcohol/protein free. :up:

I dont think gel is bad for your hair when used in moderation. I haven t used gel in months because I use castor oil to seal and that really smoothes my hair :look: .

Before starting my hair journey, I used gel to slick my edges down. Over time I noticed that my edges were becoming shorter and shorter. Since then, I never use this stuff.

Definitely use a gel w/o alcohol. Apply some jheri juice moisturizer prior w/water and it won't dry out the hair. IC clear or blue gel is really good and non drying. As long as you tie the hair down for a lil while you should have great hold for days.

Gel used to suck the moisture out my edges and pull my hairs out by the root. When my hair is straightened I use my conditioner mix and a silky scarf. Right now I'm using Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue and a silky scarf 'cause I'm wearing my hair natural. Meringue has a nice amount of hold.

Gel is alright, but it can mess your hair up alot. my sister had this happen to her also mostly from combing thro gel filled hair constantly and from using bad gels.

Back