Can a relaxer be *too* mild?

FluffyRed

I am glad to have a relaxer and a regimen that does not dissolve my fine strands, but the alternative seems to be that my strands look like this:

_______n______o_______

About an inch of straight-ish hair and then a tiny kink, another inch, another kink and so on. My strands are actually zigzagging from the point of each kink, so the strands look like triangles or strange polygons.

As a result of very careful protecting of the previously relaxed hair and using the F/C version of Mizani BB, I am literally not overlapping my perms.

I need some overlap right about now. This is creating a terrible tangling problem. Going "up a step" to Mizani BB regular.

Anyone else have this trouble?

Yes a relaxer could be too mild and one brand's mild may be milder than another brand's mild. (hope that makes sense)

I think your plan to go up to regular strength is a good idea. I was telling another member recently through PM that heathier hair is going to be more resistant to relaxers just because its intact. Relaxers break down the proteins in the hair in order to relax the curl pattern, but damaged hair is already broken down to a degree and relaxer works easily on hair like that.

Most of us on this board are proudly sporting healthy hair and we have more incidences of underprocessing than ladies in the "real world" who use heat and/or chemicals too often. Their hair is processed easily by relaxers. So with your hair being healthy, regular strength might be a good option for you. I actually have regular strength BB on hand waiting for my next touch-up in about 3-4 weeks. :) It's a good product. I like it a lot. :up:

Back