Can a 4a/b like me transition this way?

Wishin4BSL

My SO's brother's wife (hope that's not confusing) transitioned to "natural" by flat-ironing her new growth every month (washing her hair once a month) and wrapping her hair every night in order to obtain thicker hair. Her hair was always thin and short with a relaxer. I don't know her hair type, but I was wondering if this would work for a 4a/b? My hair is mostly thin because of improper wrapping for years (hair is still VERY short in crown area), but if growing that out doesn't work, I was wondering if this method would work for me.

ETA: She used something called satin creme press in a white and yellow jar. I don't remember the brand though.

I think that the product that you are referring to is Ultra Sheen Creme Satin Press. I am natural. I use this when i want to press my hair. I don't think i can answer your question about if the method you want to grow your hair out with will work for you. It would not have worked for me. Within a couple of months, my hair started breaking at the demarcation line. I wore braids to transition and drawstring ponytails. I have 4a/b hair.

if you're going to transition, the most important thing you can do is moisturize!

if you don't, your hair's gonna break off right at the demarcation line.

also if you plan on wearing your hair naturally curly or in other out styles, you could damage your hair if you use too high a temperture or flatiron your hair too much.

grease really isn't a good product to use to flatiron. if you go for the pressing comb, i really hope you use the type with the thermostat and not the one you stick on the stove. when flatironing, you'll really need a good silicone heat protectant to protect your new growth.

a hot comb hasn't touched my head since i was a teenager so i can't even begin to suggest anything there.

im 4b and i transitioned by pressing every other week. i did that fr a few months and then alternated with braids for the next couple of months. the only thing is that the heat might make your natural hair straight over time.

locabouthair said:
im 4b and i transitioned by pressing every other week. i did that fr a few months and then alternated with braids for the next couple of months. the only thing is that the heat might make your natural hair straight over time.

Exactly! I was going to say you sure can transition with a press... just be ready to transition again from heat damage. I think it really depends upon what your goal is. If its to wear your natural hair, I wouldn't transition with a press. If your goal is to wear a press anyways... then go ahead and do it.. just be careful. Heat damage can do all the things that relaxer damage can do.

Well...my mom transitioned to grow her jheri curl out so she could wear a relaxer. She blow dried and pressed her roots out to make her hair more managable. Generally, she wore a wig during this period. She transitioned successfully and was very happy with the results. However, personally, I wouldn't recommend it unless you planned on wearing your hair straight throughout the transition and once you become natural.

Back