CALLING OUT TO NATURAL 4A/4B'S

mahoganee

CALLING OUT TO NATURAL 4A/4B\'S

This question has probably been asked numerous times but what is the average time that it takes for you to comb your hair out after you've washed it? I have some thick *** hair and it takes forever to comb it out. I'm thinking about getting a texturizer since it takes so long to comb. Any suggestions to help a sistah out? /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif

Re: CALLING OUT TO NATURAL 4A/4B\'S

I just detangle in the shower. I usually separate my hair in about four sections and I wash and detangle like that. To detangle it takes about ten to fifteen minutes. I haven't tried to comb my hair out when dry.

I comb out my hair in sections while I am washing/conditioning it in the shower. So it's hard to say exactly how long it takes because I'm doing a bunch of other stuff at the same time.

But I will say that it is A LOT easier than it used to be when I would wash it and then try to comb it while it was drying out of the shower.

What made the difference in manageability and ease were:

1. ONLY combing out my hair when it was FULL of conditioner. (I probably use between a third to a fourth of the bottle of conditioner each time I do my hair)
2. Using my K-Cutter comb to detangle.
3. Washing/Conditioning and combing out my hair in sections.

I swear, combing out my just washed hair used to be a big hassle, but now it is really a lot easier.

After I wash and condition it only takes about 30 minutes to detangle with my Denman D4 and put my hair into 15 large twists.

All natural hair can be combed with ease...it just takes a little practice to get a good routine worked out. I don't think that you need to get a texturizer.

What products and tools do you use to comb through your hair?

What the other ladies said. I use the Denman D3 to detangle. I also detangle in sections in the shower. The tangles just fall out.

Spray from shower head + Good detangling tool + conditioner = very easy combout.

[ QUOTE ]
Nay said:
I comb out my hair in sections while I am washing/conditioning it in the shower. So it's hard to say exactly how long it takes because I'm doing a bunch of other stuff at the same time.

But I will say that it is A LOT easier than it used to be when I would wash it and then try to comb it while it was drying out of the shower.

1. ONLY combing out my hair when it was FULL of conditioner. (I probably use between a third to a fourth of the bottle of conditioner each time I do my hair)
I swear, combing out my just washed hair used to be a big hassle, but now it is really a lot easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second what Nay said, especially the parts in bold. I too use a K-cutter and I prefer it to any other comb, but any wide tooth comb will do. My hair does not take long at all to detangle, and I have no hair drama.

It takes me about an hour to comb out and twist in large plats. I do this all while soak and wet of corse and I let airdry. I make sure that I use plenty of conditioner. I rarely use anything besides conditioners anymore. I also use a wide tooth comb because smaller teeth tangle my hair and it gets twisted and knotted up. I take my time because I rather go slowly and lose less hair.

I agree with everyone else....There is not really a quick fix when you are natural....gotta love the natural effect though. What is a trip for me is that after a couple of weeks of conditioner washing....I don't even use a comb anymore....I finger comb my hair and it is easy to detangle.....and I am a curly nappy lady....sorry no pics yet....but extremely thick hair past shoulders when pressed. I definitely am a fan of leave in conditioner....I started using Suave Awapuhi....and it actually works good and its inexpensive. I also use the Generic Sally's Nexxus Humectress(added olive oil) as a leave in . After I conditioner wash in the shower I rinse put a leave in in and my other moisturizing concoction...lol...then I make twists all over & pull my hair in a loose pony...and put on a phony pony....I use various scarves for style and flair...and I am out...I do this every night...(I don't put the phony pony in until the morning)....the night before prep takes about an hour..but in the morning only 5-10 mins. and it's cute too.....noone knows what is going on with my hair that is under the scarf...lol /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
AFashionSlave said:
After I wash and condition it only takes about 30 minutes to detangle with my Denman D4 and put my hair into 15 large twists.

All natural hair can be combed with ease...it just takes a little practice to get a good routine worked out. I don't think that you need to get a texturizer.

What products and tools do you use to comb through your hair?

[/ QUOTE ]
The only thing that I've been using is a wide tooth comb. I'll have to buy a Denman brush and give that a try. Thanks!

am i the only one that doesn't take that long to detangle. I part my hair in four sections then comb through each one whilst its wet. i comb each part about 3 times each and it only takes a couple of mins. is that what you mean by detangling. how come it takes so long to comb? sorry i know it sound silly but i just wonder. my hair doesn't take long to do at all

I think it might take long if you are trying to comb out small sections at a time and trying to do the whole moisturizing thing...also if you are not trying to put alot of stress on the hair while combing you might comb slower or something...hence the long time...It just takes me a long time cause of all the extra stuff I do...

[ QUOTE ]
Nymphe said:
What are you currently doing now to detangle your hair?

[/ QUOTE ]
I slather on conditioner and use a wide tooth comb to detangle. After taking my braids down I put conditioner on it and it detangles easy but as soon as I wash it and recondition it tangles right back up. It might be the way that I'm washing it.

I forgot to add that I use Motions moiturizing conditioner and an oil treatment while detangling after washing. Before washing I use this off brand moisturizing conditioner to detangle after taking my hair down from braids. The offbrand seems to detangle better.

Try the suggestion of parting your hair into sections with washing, conditioning and detangle each one. Make sure you concentrate the shampoo and washing on the scalp only...no piling of the hair as shown on commercials.

[ QUOTE ]
mahoganee said:
This question has probably been asked numerous times but what is the average time that it takes for you to comb your hair out after you've washed it? I have some thick *** hair and it takes forever to comb it out. I'm thinking about getting a texturizer since it takes so long to comb. Any suggestions to help a sistah out? /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

- 12 minutes sectioned and slathered with suave tropical coconut.

- I use a Goody brush that is a denman knock-off version, it works very well.

- You do not need to texturize your hair, it just takes a little bit to find your particular styling rhythm.

BTW- When I've had twist in for a while, I detangle before and during my shower.

[ QUOTE ]
prettykinks said:
I just detangle in the shower. I usually separate my hair in about four sections and I wash and detangle like that. To detangle it takes about ten to fifteen minutes. I haven't tried to comb my hair out when dry.

[/ QUOTE ]

i do the same.

[ QUOTE ]
Nay said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
prettykinks said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Prettykinks, do you separate your hair in 4 sections before you wash? I will try this the next time I wash. /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

Since I wear my hair in twists for a month, it takes a good 1 1/2 hours to carefully detangle my hair ~ 45 min to comb out the twistout and 45 min to detangle right after washing my hair.

I put my hair in 12 twists and wash, condition, and detangle each section. If I feel that a particular section is particularly tangly, I dip my hair in an ACV solution and the tangles melt away. Also, combing your hair while water is running through it works wonders with tangles. Having 12 sections might seem like a lot but I lose a minimal amount of hair.

I recommend two condtioners that might help you: Aubrey Organics GPB and Bioterra Detangling Rinse.

-Ebony

-Ebony

Thanks for all of the advice! I had my hair put in kinky twists last night and we both figured out why it took so long to detangle my hair.Almost had my brain pulled out. The dye that I have on the ends is causing the problem. The comb glides through the hair without dye in it. No more dye for me.

Do any of you actually blow dry your hair or do you just plait it and let it dry naturally?

[ QUOTE ]
VioletSim said:

Do any of you actually blow dry your hair or do you just plait it and let it dry naturally?

[/ QUOTE ]

I air dry.

Back