Calling on All Protein Experts!!!

Researching

Just read online today that if you are taking biotin supplements you shouldn't have raw eggs or protein shakes b/c biotin binds to protein and hinders absoption of the supplement. I hope this is a falty article b/c I spent $18 on a Sam's Club size box of protein bars and $24 on protein shakes for a high protein diet. :ohwell: If this is true then I've been waisting my time taking Biotin for the last month. :wallbash: Anybody know about this?

Just read online today that if you are taking biotin supplements you shouldn't have raw eggs or protein shakes b/c biotin binds to protein and hinders absoption of the supplement. I hope this is a falty article b/c I spent $18 on a Sam's Club size box of protein bars and $24 on protein shakes for a high protein diet. :ohwell: If this is true then I've been waisting my time taking Biotin for the last month. :wallbash: Anybody know about this?

Naw, you have that backward: biotin doesn't bind protein, but in raw egg whites there's a glycoprotein called avidin which binds biotin and making it impossible for your body to absorb and therefore could lead to a biotin deficiency. Cooking eggs deactivates the avidin. BTW, egg yolks are high in biotin.

I don't think there's any other clash w/r/t biotin and protein. I've only heard of the problem being with raw egg consumption leading to biotin deficiency.

Great Ladies!!! What a relief. So that means I'll be back to my high protein diet. And I don't have to worry about raw eggs because they're just plain nasty. The article also said something about protein powders - you know the kinds you mix with milk to make protein shakes. Will that hinder biotin absoption?

Naw, you have that backward: biotin doesn't bind protein, but in raw egg whites there's a glycoprotein called avidin which binds biotin and making it impossible for your body to absorb and therefore could lead to a biotin deficiency. Cooking eggs deactivates the avidin. BTW, egg yolks are high in biotin.

I don't think there's any other clash w/r/t biotin and protein. I've only heard of the problem being with raw egg consumption leading to biotin deficiency.

OH THANKS!! good lookin out!

Great Ladies!!! What a relief. So that means I'll be back to my high protein diet. And I don't have to worry about raw eggs because they're just plain nasty. The article also said something about protein powders - you know the kinds you mix with milk to make protein shakes. Will that hinder biotin absoption?

I have never heard of protein powders hindering biotin absorption. I do know a lot of people will add raw egg to their protein shakes so I wonder if that's where the concern comes from(?). :scratchch

Back