Calling FAITH!!!

ms_kenesha

You must share your regime on how you went from 1" to 3" from waistlenght!!!
clap.gif
You're natural, too, right!! You are an inspiration!
smile.gif
I am all ears, please tell me your precious secrets!
wink.gif

HI Kenesha
smile.gif
How have you been? I don't see you around BHCAB anymore (I don't hang out as much as I used to but I lurk sometimes).

Yes, I'm natural 4a/b. With very, very dry tendencies. And fine strands. And 75-80% shrinkage. You can just imagine
shocked.gif
laugh.gif

Right now my regimen is HORRIBLE. I have my hair in interlocks.

I managed to get to this length through braids and interlocks. My secret is to let my hair be. If I had keep it out while it was growing it wouldn't be this length at all...GUARANTEED. My hair likes to be put away in order to grow. I also credit the growth to moisture. I thank Adrienne for telling me about scurl. I always thought it was just for jheri curls
laugh.gif

I also noticed exercising about 3x/week got me growing 1/2" per month (my usual is only 1/4"/month...not much).

Braids regimen:
Wash...diluted shampoo (don't have a certain one at the moment)
Spray in scurl and oil scalp with hot six oil
I use Surge when I remember. I didn't notice any growth with it so....

My list:
1. Keep it protected..pt it away for 10-12 weeks at a time (stops me from fretting/measuring/over-analyzing my hair)
2. Moisturize and oil scalp
3. Exercise

To be honest I had a set back in August 2003 and had to cut 1" off. And then another 2" in March of 2004. The braiders in Ghana were rough
frown.gif
I fear I may have to shop another 1" off next week thanks to my sister and her rough hands
frown.gif
. All this trimming just keeps pushing my goal date back
frown.gif
I should have passed waist length months ago
frown.gif
Oh well!!! Live and learn. I had been contemplating texturizing again till I realized that would be the ultimate setback for my hair so I gave up that foolish idea. I guess I'm learning
laugh.gif
If I don't have to trim/cut next week I'll be at 2" from waist. <Wishing and hoping>
laugh.gif

I'll be updating my pics in a couple weeks. I'll post my straight hair regimen then. Stay tuned!!
wink.gif

thanks for starting this thread, ms_kenesha , thanks for sharing ur regime Faith, waist lenght and natural
clap.gif
, am leaving my hair alone now, just weting in the shower everyday, and put some oil on it, put it in a pony tail, and leave it alone, I have not really started excerising, Do u mean that u dont touch it AT ALL for 10-12, ? thanks for sharing

Hi HappyLocks
smile.gif

Yes...I put it in braids or interlocks for 10-12 weeks so during that time there's no contact with it. Works great for me. Sometimes with the braids I get bored before 3 months is up. But, with the interlocks I could even go 4 months if I wanted. And during that time it's growing undisturbed.
smile.gif

Shelli:
I started with 1/2" November 1999 and I'm about 2-3" from waist now.

Eiano:
I made a ponytail then warpped the hair around like how you would do a bantu knot (is that the name) then secured it with another scrunchie.

Faith

Your hair looks awesome Faith, I am right behind you and MaestraDiva with my natural hair! I bc'd to 2" in May of 2002 and I am about 1-2" away(stretched) from bra strap in the back and I am so excited to see what my hair will look like after another year or two! I said I would let my natural hair grow for at least 3 years but you lovely ladies have me wanting to let it grow and grow and grow...and why not? I see so many napptural ladies get to a certain length, get frustrated and chop again. I am not saying short napptural hair is not gorgeous because God knows it is...but I would just love to see more napptural ladies grow their hair 'out' long to see it's full potential as far as styles.
clap.gif
I am truly loving this journey!
rosebud.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Faith said:
Hi HappyLocks
smile.gif

Yes...I put it in braids or interlocks for 10-12 weeks so during that time there's no contact with it. Works great for me. Sometimes with the braids I get bored before 3 months is up. But, with the interlocks I could even go 4 months if I wanted. And during that time it's growing undisturbed.
smile.gif

Shelli:

Faith

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for answering
wave.gif
I cut my hair the Summer of 99' and still am not even close too waist lenght, and I have alot of damaged hair, except my few inches of new growth
frown.gif
, So u do nothing too ur hair for 10-12 weeks,NO oil, no washing, no weting, how many times a year, and how do u prepare ur hair for those 10-12 weeks I would like too try it,
smile.gif
, ty

Thanks for putting up your story, Faith! I'm slow cos you've said this before but I've not followed, and to think my hair grew fast during my transition when I mostly had canerows (my own hair) or self-braided (using Kanekalon).

That's it! After the 1st week of June - braids will be in da house!!!

[ QUOTE ]
happylocks said:
[ QUOTE ]
Faith said:
Hi HappyLocks
smile.gif

smile.gif

Shelli:

Faith

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for answering
wave.gif
I cut my hair the Summer of 99' and still am not even close too waist lenght, and I have alot of damaged hair, except my few inches of new growth
frown.gif
, So u do nothing too ur hair for 10-12 weeks,NO oil, no washing, no weting, how many times a year, and how do u prepare ur hair for those 10-12 weeks I would like too try it,
smile.gif
, ty

[/ QUOTE ]

@ Happylocks, don't feel bad cos I went natural about a year before you and I ain't at bra-strap yet!

[ QUOTE ]
Daughter said:
[ QUOTE ]
happylocks said:
[ QUOTE ]
Faith said:
Hi HappyLocks
smile.gif

smile.gif

Shelli:

Faith

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for answering
wave.gif
frown.gif
smile.gif
, ty

[/ QUOTE ]

@ Happylocks, don't feel bad cos I went natural about a year before you and I ain't at bra-strap yet!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks soo much
kiss.gif
, I do, I just look at my hair and wondering Why my hair is still the same length now growing,
smile.gif
, do u have a thought y ur hair is not BS now, I know my reason is bad care, I did not know how to take care of my hair, I thought it was just washing and thats in, I could be as ruff with my hair cause it was soo thick, and I was told my hair can be treated ruff and it would not be a problem
crazy.gif

I think it's a combination of not eating great (except for the last month or so), not enough exercise, not enough vits (except for the last week!) and I've slacked off moisturising, etc. But I do think braids will help, they did for me when I was transitioning
smile.gif
The reason I think this is cos my diet was TERRIBLE in my early 20s when I first went natural but I did exercise now and then and had hair in braids or canerows.

Thanks micarae and syoulee
smile.gif

Happylocks:

When I said I didn't do anything for 110-12 weeks I didn't mean I don't wash or oil
laugh.gif

I meant I don't bother my hair for 10-12 weeks at a time because it's hidden away. I still wash and I spray scurl and I oil my scalp weekly.

Faith

Faith, I was wondering something: can those interlick braids be done with different hair? I noticed the kind you use is a microbraid style. Can this technique be done with just curly hair? Thx!

I love to see long hair naturals. I prefer not to wear braids .. but the only ones I would ever wear are like the one beyonce wore in fighting tempations and Carem hipopera. It looks natural

Faith, I know the type of hair it was (my sis used to get these type of braids done all the time). I just didn't know the name of the hair. Can curly synthetic hair be used as well?

If it's not made for interlocks it's harder to hook it in....I find. These hair is already pre parted so it's easy to hook in. It's called binding twist and abantu.com has some.

Thanks Ms. Kenesha for starting this thread.

Faith, I have a question for you.
smile.gif

Do you think that it's absolutely necessary to put in braids in order to retain length? I was wondering if you think you may have been able to achieve the same length by twisting or braiding your own hair. For example, you two-strand twist for a month and then take it out and re-twist.Thanks for the wonderful advice.

I grew out my texturizer that way. I have been twisting my hair for about two years. I wash and twist my hair every 2-3 weeks. I wear twists one week and twist out the next. I keep hair moisturized by rinsing about twice a week and using moisturizers. While transitioning to natural I would cut a bit of my bra-strap length hair each time I twisted it. I got rid of the chemical ends within 6 months and have about 1 inch to go before I am bra-strap length again. (I am only bra-strap length if I flatiron or pull on a strand). I did the extension thing almost 20 years ago when I returned to natural. I prefer to braid or twist my own hair now. Back then I hated my natural hair and hid it under extensions, now I love the way it feels and would not add to it.

Hi rai
smile.gif

Yes, I think any protective style you do will help you retain length. Be it a bun, twists, interlocks, weaves, etc. You just have to make sure you keep it moisturized and split ends free.

Faith

Back