calling all wash and go veteran, please help!

g.lo

Hi all,

I have been lately (2 weeks) experiencing again with wash and go.
the first time I did a wash and go (last february, winter time in Uk) it was a disaster, i got lots of ssk.
this time i have been putting heavy butter on my ends when doing wash and go and it seems to work.
now my problem is how do you avoid super shrinkage? I am grazing BSl and when i do w&G my hair shrinks up to my ears :ohwell:
is there any products recommendation, any technique that can help?
I use eco styler and can't get more than 2 days hair and it is extra crispy, l would also like to be able to go at least 5 days with less crispy hair.
my techniques:

wash the night before, throw 4 twist. In the morning, I will do about 10 sections , re-wet each section, apply my leave in, apply a heavier moisturiser (using lux lock from original moxie), seal ends with butter, then apply the gel 9don't use comb or brush).
I am about to buy some more products, and your input will be really helpful & appreciated. The products I have in minds are : Kccc, wondercurl curl get set hair gelly, curl junkie curl in a bottle.
i have fine and medium strands and high porosity.

thanks for reading this long post.

gaby

Last edited:
I'm sorry i don't have a pic. I use either suave naurals or redken butter treat under curls godess curls on damp hair. It's slightly crispy the first day but softens up the following days. I do get 4-5 days of wear before washing. I'm also grazing bsl and it shrinks to sl or a little longer.

I'm not an veteran or expert, but check out this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=555553

Do not rewet your hair in the morning. After cowashing your hair in the evening, get a microfiber towel to absorb excess water. Then when your hair is about 70% dry, apply your products and put your hair in a banded ponytail. In the morning, take out the banded ponytail, fluff your hair into shape, and go. This helps elongate the curls.

Now if you have shrinkage like that (BSL that shrinks to ear length), don't expect your hair to hang at your brastrap. Maybe to your shoulders. My hair has super shrinkage too. I can't just wash n go and expect my hair to hang, not even with gel.

Sent via Android LHCF App

Well...all has been said.:grin:

But yeah...i get super shrinkage too. Im at BSL and my hair shrinks up to my shoulders....sometimes my neck!

I usually sleep with my hair in a low ponytail. When i get up i put water on it to get it damp...fluff, and apply products as needed.

I can't pineapple the regular way...i get tangles.

Sent from my N860 using LHCF

I'm not an veteran or expert, but check out this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=555553

Do not rewet your hair in the morning. After cowashing your hair in the evening, get a microfiber towel to absorb excess water. Then when your hair is about 70% dry, apply your products and put your hair in a banded ponytail. In the morning, take out the banded ponytail, fluff your hair into shape, and go. This helps elongate the curls.

Now if you have shrinkage like that (BSL that shrinks to ear length), don't expect your hair to hang at your brastrap. Maybe to your shoulders. My hair has super shrinkage too. I can't just wash n go and expect my hair to hang, not even with gel.

Well...all has been said.:grin:

But yeah...i get super shrinkage too. Im at BSL and my hair shrinks up to my shoulders....sometimes my neck!

I usually sleep with my hair in a low ponytail. When i get up i put water on it to get it damp...fluff, and apply products as needed.

I can't pineapple the regular way...i get tangles.

Sent from my N860 using LHCF

Thanks girls, I will try the ponytail method! Does the type of gel helps as well or not at all?

g.lo said:
Thanks girls, I will try the ponytail method! Does the type of gel helps as well or not at all?

I don't use gel. Every time I try gel, it flattens my hair which I don't like. I like volume. So I just use Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie for my wash n gos after letting the microfiber towel absorb excess water. I haven't done wash n gos in awhile because of the single strand knots I started to get from wearing them. :ohwell:

Just a few tips that have helped me get the perfect WnG.

1. Use heavy products to keep hair tangle free and moisturized longer.

My leave-in is a Deep Conditioner and I seal with castor oil. This usually keeps my hair moisturized for 3-4 days before I have to re-do my WnG. Castor oil is GREAT at sealing in moisture as well as reducing SSKs as well.

2.Apply product to soaking wet hair

I don't towel dry my hair after I wet it in the shower for a WnG. I just wring it out best as possible with my hands. Applying product to soaking wet hair just DOES something for WnGs. My hair is usually more defined and it keeps my hair from feeling like a greasy mess since I use castor oil.

3. Apply product in a downward motion

When I'm applying my leave-in, sealant, and/or gel I always smooth the product into my hair downwards. I grab a section of my hair and pretty much rake the product through with my fingers downward. This helps to stretch out my WnGs to reduce some shrinkage as well as help to define curls.

4. Stretch it out a bit

After I apply my product, I always put my hair in a low, LOOSE pony tail because thats the way I want my hair to stretch, down and out. I don't even wrap the hair tie around the pony tail twice. You get nice stretched out hair without losing the curls of the WnG and it helps to reduce SSKs.

BUT! Don't keep it in the pony tail until its completely dry. Take the pony tail out when its about 70% dry and shake your head. This will bring back curls to life that you may have stretched out too much from the pony tail.

4. How to get 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th day hair (sometimes 4th)

Either pineapple your hair at night or toss your hair 2-4 braids. If you pineapple your hair, spritz your hair in the morning with something that can bring it back to life (water, liquid aloe vera, rosewater, some type of water moisturizer, etc.). If you put your hair in braids, spritz the braids before you go to sleep and also add your sealant to the end. (very little). Also don't forget your scarf or bonnet. Tossing those on also help to keep your WnGs longer.

Hope that helped some. If you have any questions at all, I'll be glad to try to answer them for you.

Just a few tips that have helped me get the perfect WnG.

1. Use heavy products to keep hair tangle free and moisturized longer.

My leave-in is a Deep Conditioner and I seal with castor oil. This usually keeps my hair moisturized for 3-4 days before I have to re-do my WnG. Castor oil is GREAT at sealing in moisture as well as reducing SSKs as well.

2.Apply product to soaking wet hair

I don't towel dry my hair after I wet it in the shower for a WnG. I just wring it out best as possible with my hands. Applying product to soaking wet hair just DOES something for WnGs. My hair is usually more defined and it keeps my hair from feeling like a greasy mess since I use castor oil.

3. Apply product in a downward motion

When I'm applying my leave-in, sealant, and/or gel I always smooth the product into my hair downwards. I grab a section of my hair and pretty much rake the product through with my fingers downward. This helps to stretch out my WnGs to reduce some shrinkage as well as help to define curls.

4. Stretch it out a bit

After I apply my product, I always put my hair in a low, LOOSE pony tail because thats the way I want my hair to stretch, down and out. I don't even wrap the hair tie around the pony tail twice. You get nice stretched out hair without losing the curls of the WnG and it helps to reduce SSKs.

BUT! Don't keep it in the pony tail until its completely dry. Take the pony tail out when its about 70% dry and shake your head. This will bring back curls to life that you may have stretched out too much from the pony tail.

4. How to get 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th day hair (sometimes 4th)

Either pineapple your hair at night or toss your hair 2-4 braids. If you pineapple your hair, spritz your hair in the morning with something that can bring it back to life (water, liquid aloe vera, rosewater, some type of water moisturizer, etc.). If you put your hair in braids, spritz the braids before you go to sleep and also add your sealant to the end. (very little). Also don't forget your scarf or bonnet. Tossing those on also help to keep your WnGs longer.

Hope that helped some. If you have any questions at all, I'll be glad to try to answer them for you.

thanks you soooooo much!!!!

I don't use gel. Every time I try gel, it flattens my hair which I don't like. I like volume. So I just use Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie for my wash n gos after letting the microfiber towel absorb excess water. I haven't done wash n gos in awhile because of the single strand knots I started to get from wearing them. :ohwell:

I have checked the link you did provide and the same thing here, eco styler is making my hair too flat! I was thinking maybe using a pudding my help better!

The ladies have given great advice already. I will throw in my 2 cent:

After washing my hair, I apply my curling cream. It's aloe vera gel, crisco. castor oil, and grapeseed oil. I don't use a leave-in because I don't need one with the cream. It also makes SSKs non existant. Since it has been especially hot this summer, I decided to start using gel so that I could get multi day hair. I make flaxseed gel. My recipe is 1 1/2 cups of water, 1/4 cup flaxseeds, 1 tbsp castor oil, 1/2 tsp honey. That recipe is for medium hold gel.

I apply the gel to wet hair. I do the smooth and rake technique. After that, I will let my hair air dry for about an hour to two hours, then I will do one of 2 things: put 5 big braids in my hair, braiding only about 75% of my length, secure the end with an elastic band and go to sleep or I will band my hair in two ponytails and go to sleep. My hair is more stretched with the first method, but the second one is less work. In the morning I take down my hair, shake and go on my way.

Each night I will apply a little moisturizer to my ends, and either band or put my hair in a few big braids. In the morning I will spray a little water on my ends and shake. That's pretty much it. My hair gets a little bigger and fluffier as the week progresses.

The ladies have given great advice already. I will throw in my 2 cent:

After washing my hair, I apply my curling cream. It's aloe vera gel, crisco. castor oil, and grapeseed oil. I don't use a leave-in because I don't need one with the cream. It also makes SSKs non existant. Since it has been especially hot this summer, I decided to start using gel so that I could get multi day hair. I make flaxseed gel. My recipe is 1 1/2 cups of water, 1/4 cup flaxseeds, 1 tbsp castor oil, 1/2 tsp honey. That recipe is for medium hold gel.

I apply the gel to wet hair. I do the smooth and rake technique. After that, I will let my hair air dry for about an hour to two hours, then I will do one of 2 things: put 5 big braids in my hair, braiding only about 75% of my length, secure the end with an elastic band and go to sleep or I will band my hair in two ponytails and go to sleep. My hair is more stretched with the first method, but the second one is less work. In the morning I take down my hair, shake and go on my way.

Each night I will apply a little moisturizer to my ends, and either band or put my hair in a few big braids. In the morning I will spray a little water on my ends and shake. That's pretty much it. My hair gets a little bigger and fluffier as the week progresses.

thanks, just subbed on your YT channel! will surely update with a pic as soon as I get decent W&G.

Gaby

I use this: http://www.planetbuff.com/shop-buff...al-buff.html?gclid=CJPQkd_A9LECFUJo4Aod3TUAVA. to get my 2nd, and 3rd day hair...Pinappling doesn't work for me, but using the Buff works like a charm.

I agree with everything that's been posted already. Also, for me it was finding the right combination of products. I leave my conditioner in (Tresseme Naturals), and scrunch in some AG re:Coil curl activator. The next day I'll scrunch in some World of Curls activator gel, mixed with some LA Looks Curl Gel, and that hold my hair without the crunch. I tried a Lot of creams, and gels before I found the perfect ones for my hair. Sometimes you just have to experiment a little bit.

I use a glycerin/water spritz over my gel to soften the hold, and you can try pinappleing to help stretch and maintain your hair overnight.

I use curl activator gel, or curl activator gel + a regular styling gel. Long Aid curl activator is thick enough that it gives great definition, a soft hold, and is moisturizing. Worlds of Curls is my favorite activator gel but with this gel I have to pair it with a styling gel to get better definition/hold because it's has such a soft hold. I like blue and pink Eco Styler gel or IC Fantasia to pair with the Worlds of Curls the most. The activator really softens the gel. Activator on the bottom, styling on top, but still be mindful not to use too much of the styling gel. So like, 70%-ish activator, 30%-ish styling gel. Currently I'm using Long Aid though. Great moisturizing hair gel.

To keep it from tangling and super shrinking: make sure to do your wngs on fully detangled hair and also be sure that you are using enough product. Tiny dabs of gel, for me, lead to bad tangles and excessive shrinkage. When I'm using plenty of gel, my hair is easy to detangle the next day (I cowash daily) and the weight helps my hair to dry elongated (plus it helps to keep SSKs at bay). Also, don't do too many sections. Try to use as few sections as possible, if any. I get less shrinkage this way as well.

Back