Calling all Stretchers.....

Traycee

I need your help...My last relaxer was Mar. 3 2008 ..I'm 8 weeks post relaxer....Everyone knows that stretching is not my thing....I usually relax 6 to 8 weeks......I really want to relax...Can't take it anymore.....

But Mother's Day weekend my Husband is taking me out of town and I want a fresh relaxer....If I relax now.....Then in three weeks when we go out of town I'll have new growth.....So I want to wait 3 more weeks...But I don't think I'll make it to 11 weeks...

Need your advice and tips !!!!

Before I started transitioning, I used to be a stretcher.

You can do buns to accomodate your new growth if you want to stretch, and we all know you do great buns. :yep: Wet buns worked well for me too, and sometimes I would do my bun every three days (to avoid daily manipulation).

Keep your new growth well moisturized and detangled and you should be good to go.

DC like crazy. Keep that hair moisturized and detangled.
I'm 23 weeks post and I can comb through my NG.
I've been doing the yogurt & coconut milk curl loosening stuff.
You can find the thread on that in the "Hair Recipes Board".
That definitely helps me tame the NG.
Also, when I blowdry I use the lowest setting.
And I use macherieamour's method of holding the roots up and taut and blowing them.
It makes it straighter.
But I'm working with 2-3" of NG, so you should have an easier time than me.
HTH.

Detangling in the shower well, hot oil treatments, indian shampoo bars, and french stabilizer plus (have only used this once or twice) is working well for me at 17 weeks. I'm sitting under a rollerset right now and didn't lose alot of hair.

As far as styles, buns (while tying the edges at night), braidouts, and rollersets have been my friend :yep:

DC like crazy. Keep that hair moisturized and detangled.
I'm 23 weeks post and I can comb through my NG.
I've been doing the yogurt & coconut milk curl loosening stuff.
You can find the thread on that in the "Hair Recipes Board".
That definitely helps me tame the NG.
Also, when I blowdry I use the lowest setting.
And I use macherieamour's method of holding the roots up and taut and blowing them.
It makes it straighter.
But I'm working with 2-3" of NG, so you should have an easier time than me.
HTH.

Girl thats good...And here I'm struggling with 1 inch of new growth ....:lachen::lachen:

You can do buns to accomodate your new growth if you want to stretch, and we all know you do great buns. :yep: Wet buns worked well for me too, and sometimes I would do my bun every three days (to avoid daily manipulation).
Keep your new growth well moisturized and detangled and you should be good to go.

So..... a lot of manipulation is not good....Should I slow down on co-washes

Many of the ladies suggests using the French Perm Stabilizer Plus by Revlon. It helps to detangle like a breeze. I am currently 19 weeks post but for now my hair is in braids with extensions but that may not be your thing. I did go out and ourchase the stabilizer plus because I know I'm gonna need it when I remove these braids. There's a thread floating around here about the great success many ladies here have had with it and many of them are stretching their relaxers as well.

Conditioner washes are a stretchers and a transitioners friend. :yep:

They're definitely good. :up:

When I did wet buns (daily), I didn't need to manipulate my hair very much (always stayed detangled since it was conditioner washed daily).

I need your help...My last relaxer was Mar. 3 2008 ..I'm 8 weeks post relaxer....Everyone knows that stretching is not my thing....I usually relax 6 to 8 weeks......I really want to relax...Can't take it anymore.....

But Mother's Day weekend my Husband is taking me out of town and I want a fresh relaxer....If I relax now.....Then in three weeks when we go out of town I'll have new growth.....So I want to wait 3 more weeks...But I don't think I'll make it to 11 weeks...

You can make it 3 more weeks.. The key is moisture moisture, Protective styling and a good moisturizing deep conditioner ie. Capilo avocado conditioner(slip like no other). That got me thru 30.5 weeks post relaxer. Im now 15 weeks post and Im taking my twists out next week and intend of relaxing in June.

You can make it. A Low manipulation regimen will also help. Good luck.

bun it up girlie:lachen:

im almost 5 months since my last relaxer:yep:
vo5 strawberries and cream works co wash with that, then put a little on ur new growth and style/ this way you'll be able to comb through ur new growth or style. don't rinse out! its just a little conditioner..hope i helped out some

hes taking u on a vacation? dont u want to swim?:look:

bun it up girlie:lachen:

im almost 5 months since my last relaxer:yep:
vo5 strawberries and cream works co wash with that, then put a little on ur new growth and style/ this way you'll be able to comb through ur new growth or style. don't rinse out! its just a little conditioner..hope i helped out some

hes taking u on a vacation? dont u want to swim?:look:

Not really vacation....My mothers day gift is going to see Alicia Keys in concert in Las Vegas.....I don't think will go swimming...My Sister and her Husband is going to ....I think it is a more partying, gambling, shopping type of weekend

I relaxed around March 1st .. and am stretching until May 31st .. and right now .. the daily co-washes are my best friend. I only detangle once or twice a week, the other days I use the water pressure to detangle.
I do weekly protein conditioning paying attention to the line of demarcation.

[/b]
Girl thats good...And here I'm struggling with 1 inch of new growth ....:lachen::lachen:

LOL. Girl I used to feel like that too.
I've never stretched past 12 weeks before now.
I was originally transitioning, but I like straight hair more.
Plus, I'd rather BC than transition w/o BC.
But my head's too big for a TWA.
:grin:

Not really vacation....My mothers day gift is going to see Alicia Keys in concert in Las Vegas.....I don't think will go swimming...My Sister and her Husband is going to ....I think it is a more partying, gambling, shopping type of weekend
ok then id say go for the 11 weeks
you can do it, your hair looks great still:yep:

ot: how many weeks post were u in ur bun tutorial?

I know when your stretching you need to take more time to detangle. Have to spray in a good conditioning detangler and then finger comb your hair. When your finish finger combing you have to take a extra wide tooth to comb the shedded hair out. I noticed when I stretch for a long time I get alot of shedding because the shedded hair doesnt fall out of my hair naturally. I have to comb it out because it gets tangled into the NG. So I would say detangling and moisturizing will help you stretch.HTH:grin:

I'm currently 30 weeks post relaxer and I have to agree that moisture and very slooooow detangling helps me. I also use Mango Butter while my hair is damp to moisturize, it makes my hair feel so soft. Your hair is waaaaaaaaay longer than mine, I know you can stretch a few more weeks!

You can do it. I've been washing more frequently and I've found it helped to be able to rake a comb through it better especially wet. Wrap the hair or do roller sets to keep the new growth smoother. Braid outs help too. Or just flat iron the roots.

Deep conditioned on dry hair ...then co-washed...I had so much shedding...I did not like that :nono:....I don't know where all the new growth came from...It's like it just sprouted out overnight.....

If I could stop the shedding....

Last edited:
  • a few co-washes a week
  • braidouts, twistouts, and bantu knots were MY best friends :yep::yep::yep: (hid the new growth so well on top of that these were very cute hairstyles with little to no manipulation)
  • moisture, moisture, moisture :grin:

ETA: this was basically my regimen for my 5 month stretch :yep:

Last edited:
i am 24 weeks post and i love my new growth. i dont find that i have a problem stretching. i think you can make the extra three weeks. i wear my hair down ALL the time with ALL of that new growth so im sure you can do nice styles with yours.
moisture moisture moisture. i co wash and use leave in, and on the days i use shampoo its a conditioning/moisturizing shampoo and then i'll deep condition with heat and then a leave in. then i will do a rollerset or blow dry on low and just wear it out(no flat iron or anything. just a blow dry)

Traycee~

I agree with E Williams :yep:. I stretch 12 weeks and cowashes help me out alot, keeps the new growth soft and moisturize is key also. Just cowash and bun till your trip.

Tuesday will be 10 weeks since my lost touch up, I'm going for 12 weeks, DAILY co-washing, and using some of the condtioner as a leave in(very important, I am using HE Hello Hydration for this), then sealing with castor oil has been WONDERFUL...Try it, and you'll see what I mean.

Two Words: STEAM TREATMENT.

Seriously... It's no joke! I am going for nine weeks with BT induced new growth!

I prepoo with a conditioner and coconut milk on dry hair. It softens up my NG tremendously. DCs and CWs twice a week is my reggie to get me to my 14 week stretch. I'm currently 13 weeks. Also, moisturize twice a day, very important. I'm sure you can do it. Just hang in there and take the advice of all the ladies here.

Last edited:
Deep conditioned on dry hair ...then co-washed...I had so much shedding...I did not like that :nono:....I don't know where all the new growth came from...It's like it just sprouted out overnight.....

If I could stop the shedding....

it might not be additional shedding - the less straight your hair is, the more shed hairs you collect when you manipulate it, because those shed strands aren't able to fall out of your hair on their own like they would if your hair was fully straight.

FONT=Comic Sans MS]You can do buns to accomodate your new growth if you want to stretch, and we all know you do great buns. avoid daily manipulation.[/FONT]

I totally agree with Allandra , think of your new and beautiful relaxed hair for the mother day so don't relax to early

Good luck .

it might not be additional shedding - the less straight your hair is, the more shed hairs you collect when you manipulate it, because those shed strands aren't able to fall out of your hair on their own like they would if your hair was fully straight.
Right on point.
also a lot people are saying moisture, but for me i would say protein, you need to keep the line of demarcation strong, the longer the stretch for me the stronger the protein needed to prevent breakage. Am currently in my 9th month of transition and this has been working.
HTH

Last edited:
Back