Calling all Stretchers!! Is detangling a nightmare???

*ElleB

Well, here is the deal: I am a little over 5 months post and, my hair has a tendency to matt up, when it's dry, how is the detangling for you guys when you wash? Is it hard? What products do you use? I've never stretched this long before and I found that even my beloved Mane N Tail detangler couldn't cut it for me... (Part of this I attribute to my Aphogee fiasco)

Please Help...I'm tired of being scared to death to deal with own hair, only to go to the salon and they fry the heck out of it with HEAT!

*ElleB said:
Well, here is the deal: I am a little over 5 months post and, my hair has a tendency to matt up, when it's dry, how is the detangling for you guys when you wash? Is it hard? What products do you use? I've never stretched this long before and I found that even my beloved Mane N Tail detangler couldn't cut it for me... (Part of this I attribute to my Aphogee fiasco)

Please Help...I'm tired of being scared to death to deal with own hair, only to go to the salon and they fry the heck out of it with HEAT!

First, congrats on stretching for 5 months! That is not a easy feat! Now whenever I do superstretches (I'm currently 8 1/2 months) I must must must do co-washes. THis practically eliminates the problem with napping and tangling. I prefer to use Dominican conditioners such as Miss Key 10 en 1 plus because its' superconditioning and cuts through them naps! You can use your favorite conditioners and wash your hair. Since you have so much NG do it in sections, get a Jilbere shower comb and detangle from the ends up, rinse with h20 or apple cider vinegar diluted with water and then style whatever way you like. GOod luck.:)

I don't have any special products I use when I wash for detangling but what I do BEFORE I wash is ALWAYS use one of my conditioners, usually DDTA becaase I have tons of it, VO5, Dumb Blonde or Rivas Silicon Mix ON DRY HAIR, I usually leave it in a minimum of 10 minutes (usually overnight) to soften the hair (from holding gels, braid/twist out tangles, you name it). Doing this has saved me a lot of time, frustration and hair loss.

When I hop in the shower to wash (if it's been over night, I'll apply a small amount more of the conditioner), I detangle using my Jibere shower comb and rinse using water. Then I apply the shampoo and continue on.

One absolute :naughty: is tangling your hair when you wash! I ALWAYS KEEP MY hair as straight and tangle free during the wash to prevent the need for a lot of detangling/rough combing. I usually wash one side at a time to further reduce possibility of tangles. I'm sure as it gets longer, I'll take to doing the CAG method of braiding and washing in sections. Before I started doing this, my hair was coming out in the shower like nobody's business.

I'm relaxed, 4a/b. HTH!

I have re-touched in about 5 months also. What's working for me is washing with Suave Milk & Honey and using the matching conditioner and letting it sit for as long as you can, at least an hour. The comb glides right through. After rinsing, I use the Mane & Tail detangler :) It's been so easy for me, I'm actually thinking about transitioning!

ETA: I'm 4A/B

Stretching?

Tangles and almost pulling my hair out is the reason why I can't stretch.

I wish that I could, but I do more harm than good when I try it.

The NG tangles I get after the 3 week mark are hard enough for me to deal with.

Maybe because my hair does not relax bone straight. :ohwell:

Keracare Hydrating Conditioning Shampoo is good for stretching. For me, no matter how nappy or matted my hair may get, as long as I divide it into sections after washing and go thru each section with my K Cutter and Denman D3 brush, I'm straight.

I'm a transitioner, but I've always stretched my relaxers even before this. I don't deviate from my normal regimen of washing and deep conditioning 2-3x per week during the stretches at all. Like Caligirl I just comb my hair out in sections after I wash, to detangle it. I don't airdry out anymore either, I either bun it, braid it or usually rollerset.

KiSseS03 said:
I don't airdry out anymore either, I either bun it, braid it or usually rollerset.

Yes, this is key! I always set my hair either in braids or in rollers. The roots dry nice and straight this way with no matting.

Detangling is not a nightmare to me. I just take my time, and I also use a conditioner that gives my hair a lot of slip. Also, start at the ends and work your way up.

I'm only at 8 weeks post but my last wash I combed my hair out with the conditioner in it and WOW! I couldn't believe the difference it made in terms of ease and amount of hair loss. I deep conditioned, then detangled then rinsed out conditioner. This works better for me than detangling in the shower(haven't quite perfected that method:))

I try not to comb through my newgrowth. I use water,a moisturizer, and a scarf to flatten it. If it gets too bad then I know it's time to get a retouch. Also it my newgrowth is coming in super thick I get individuals.

alexstin said:
I'm only at 8 weeks post but my last wash I combed my hair out with the conditioner in it and WOW! I couldn't believe the difference it made in terms of ease and amount of hair loss. I deep conditioned, then detangled then rinsed out conditioner. This works better for me than detangling in the shower(haven't quite perfected that method:))

What condish was that?

I want to try Co-washing but I don't have that much time to do that... :(

Me- relaxer once or twice a year... & I aint no 1 or 2 type. I dont know what my "type is" but it can be defined as a 'hot mess'.:lachen:

1. Conditioner + honey on dry hair w/baggie, once a week - 2. Elucence co-wash everyother day, 3rd day max. - 3. Detangle in shower with fingers & shower comb - 4. Apply oil while hair is still wet/damp. 5. Comb hair in protective style until next washing (either braids, ponytail baggie or flat iron ponytail). *Optional- I really like the coconutmilk/lime juice, really helped me manage my different textures & new growth. I'm going to add MSM to coco-lime mix nex time... :look:

Items 1-4... Thanks LHCF!

*ElleB said:
What condish was that?

I want to try Co-washing but I don't have that much time to do that... :(

I didn't cowash. I washed with poo and then deep conditioned with Kenra I believe. BEFORE I got back in the shower to rinse it out I detangled. I really don't think it was the conditioner but just the fact that I detangled with the conditioner in first. Case in point, I washed my daughter's 4a/4b THICK hair 2 days ago. After washing I applied conditioner and combed it through, her detangling was a BREEZE:D . I then rinsed the conditioner and combed out. No complaints from her AT ALL. Try it, Girl!!!:)

I'm at 12 weeks headed for 16. I my trick is clarifying. I live in an area with very hard water and it builds up and causes all kinds of beady-bees. I use Ion from Sally's. If it's been a while I have to use it a couple of times.

alexstin said:
I didn't cowash. I washed with poo and then deep conditioned with Kenra I believe. BEFORE I got back in the shower to rinse it out I detangled. I really don't think it was the conditioner but just the fact that I detangled with the conditioner in first. Case in point, I washed my daughter's 4a/4b THICK hair 2 days ago. After washing I applied conditioner and combed it through, her detangling was a BREEZE:D . I then rinsed the conditioner and combed out. No complaints from her AT ALL. Try it, Girl!!!:)

THNX....I AM DEFINITELY GONNA TRY THIS! Tomorrow, which is my wash day....And I was just commenting on the co-washing thing to another poster:D

My first stretch I learned alot, and Silicone Mix arrived right on time. I learned to wash my hair in sections, even when it's freshly relaxed, I prefer 2 sections. Another thing I've always knew was to concentrate on the scalp w/the tips of your fingers in a circular motion, scrubbing and pilling the hair on top of each other will cause major tangles and could also cause knots. Always use moisturizing poo's and DC w/something that gives major slip and excellent moisture, for me when I get to 10 wks post Silicone Mix is what works best for me even when I air dry I can comb through my NG w/o a problem. Sometimes I alternate btwn concotioned condtioner w/EVOO, avacodo and or grapeseed oil and honey added. When I first joined LHCF washing my hair in the sink was great for me, but my hair was only a little below my nape, I think it is much easier for me to wash now in the shower since I'm 3 in past my shoulder's now. HTH's

I stretch to 20 weeks, possibly more after this next cycle. I do the same as other ladies here, only combing in the shower with my Jilbere shower comb with my hair coated in conditioner. Comb glides right through with no problems.

I only comb my hair in the shower, I NEVER comb it dry.

Back