Calling all self trimmers....

OneInAMillion

I'm feeling the urge to trim here :grin: . I've been searching for tuturorials, but I can't find much. For those of you that self-trim, what are your best methods? The ponytail trim won't work so well for me, because I'd have to do it on a slant :perplexed . I'm about to call my bf to get over here and help me!

Also, do I need to get expensive shears? I got some conair scissors (from Target) that I used for a dusting once. Do I need to shell out the money, or are these sufficient?

Thanks ladies!

I use the Conair sheers when I trim and I haven't had problems. The only thing is that they don't stay sharp long so if you have used them a lot in the past you should either purchase a new pair or dish out the cash for some better ones. I think i will be getting some better ones when it is time for my next trim.

As for methods for trimming, I section my hair four sections, two in the front on either side of my head parted down the middle, and two in the back (the back sections get sectioned even more latter on)

I start with the front. I have layers in the front of my hair so I trim each layer separately. I hold the hair straight down, move my fingers down so that the only hair that is exposed is the ends that I want to clip and then I cut right at were my fingers are (I hope that makes sense). I do this for each layer until both sections in the front are done.

Then I move to the back. I usually section each big section into two smaller ones and follow the same steps and the front.

The key is to cut the same amount of hair off from each section so pay close attention to that first cut, let that be your guide. When I finish I brush my hair straight back so that I can see how even the hem is and if I need to even it out. If I have to even it out I do it with all my hair brushed back.

I find that it is easier for me to trim my hair when it is straight and dry, it is easier to see what needs to be trimmed and how much has been trimmed. I have been doing this for years and it is really easy to do, the biggest thing is trusting yourself. With your boyfriend helping you it will be a breeze. HTH:)

testimony777 said:
I use the Conair sheers when I trim and I haven't had problems. The only thing is that they don't stay sharp long so if you have used them a lot in the past you should either purchase a new pair or dish out the cash for some better ones. I think i will be getting some better ones when it is time for my next trim.

As for methods for trimming, I section my hair four sections, two in the front on either side of my head parted down the middle, and two in the back (the back sections get sectioned even more latter on)

I start with the front. I have layers in the front of my hair so I trim each layer separately. I hold the hair straight down, move my fingers down so that the only hair that is exposed is the ends that I want to clip and then I cut right at were my fingers are (I hope that makes sense). I do this for each layer until both sections in the front are done.

Then I move to the back. I usually section each big section into two smaller ones and follow the same steps and the front.

The key is to cut the same amount of hair off from each section so pay close attention to that first cut, let that be your guide. When I finish I brush my hair straight back so that I can see how even the hem is and if I need to even it out. If I have to even it out I do it with all my hair brushed back.

I find that it is easier for me to trim my hair when it is straight and dry, it is easier to see what needs to be trimmed and how much has been trimmed. I have been doing this for years and it is really easy to do, the biggest thing is trusting yourself. With your boyfriend helping you it will be a breeze. HTH:)

Thanks Testimony,

I'm definitely gonna use this method! Thank you for going into so much detail for me...exactly what I needed. I plan on trimming Monday and I'll add the results in my album.

how about doing a search and destroy to save all your length?

part your hair in half, then half the one side and half again, (basically end up having 8 sections each side of your head) and look throught those sections for splits or breaks, and snip them off, using professional scissors.

But if your trimming to neaten up the hair than testimony's way sounds great!

I'm self-trimming some inches from my hair in June because I need to start coaxing my hair toward a blunt cut and to get rid of some split ends .

I plan to use the "Feye" self method from the Long Hair Community Board.

She has tips for blunt, U, and V cuts.

Here is a link to Feye's journal where there are pictures and a paste of her method:
http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/

This is for blunt cuts:

Feye said:
Step 1

Start with combing your hair as straight as possible, removing every tangle. Comb the hair back and put it in a low ponytail. Hold your head straight. Pull the scrunchie as far down your ponytail as possible, and as close to the body as possible too. When you can't reach anymore, try to grab the scrunchie from behind your back instead. Pull it all the way down to the end of the ponytail. Maybe you'll need someone to help you with this.

Be careful to pull the scrunchie down in a strictly vertical manner. It's so easy to end up with hair a little shorter on one side
and longer on the other, just because the scrunchie was pulled a little to the left or the right. You might want someone to help you with this.

(Update: I'm now tilting my head forward instead of holding it straight up. This produces even better results.)

000ekgc6

Now, bring the scrunchie at the end of the ponytail forward, over one of your sholders. Get hold of the scrunchie (be careful not to pull any strands while doing this!!) and trim the tip of the ponytail off. If your hair is too short to reach, you can ask someone else to trim the tip off. You can redo this step a couple of times to make sure that it's even and that you haven't missed any hair strands.

Step 2 (optional)

Part your hair (like when making two braids) and bring the hair forward. Hold your head straight, and trim 1/4 inch off the ends, just to even it up.

000ehhzz
000ef8rq

You can hold the hair either like this: Or this:

000esqyk
000et4hx

I prefer the first grip, it holds the ends firmly.

When you're done, your straight-across cut will look something like this:
000epr79

This is for V shape:

Faye said:
Step 1

Start with combing your hair as straight as possible, removing every tangle. Part your hair in the middle, all the way down to the back of the head. Then bring the two sides of hair forward.

000ehhzz

Step 2

Comb each side carefully until every hair strand seems to be lying in the right direction. Hold your head up as straight as possible while doing this.

Concentrate on one side of the hair at a time. You can use a scrunchie to hold the other one in place while you trim. Comb the un-scrunched side while still tilted back. Grab the ends of your hair with one hand (using your index and middle finger). Hold the scissors with the other.

When you have a firm hold you can look down on your hair again. Bring the ends up and carefully trim off as much as desired.

Note: Holding your head up straight while trimming will give you a 'medium' V-shape. For a slighter V, tilt your head back instead. For a deeper V, tilt your head forward. You might want to experiment with this to find the perfect shape for you.

000ef8rq
000ewrke

000esqyk
000et4hx

Trim both sides of hair this way, and try to make them as even as possible. You don't want to end up with hair that is shorter on one side.

When you're done you should have hair that is V-shaped when brushed back.

Step 3 (For perfectionists, not necessary to do ;)

Finally you can bring all hair forward to one side, and then comb it. You do this to make sure that you haven't missed any strands (this might happen if your part isn't exactly in the middle of your head). Snip off all strands that are longer than the rest of the hair, and make sure that it's even. Do this with the other side too. Comb a couple of times from side to side if you're uncertain that it's really even.

000egbsk

When you're finally done, your V-shape will look something like this:

000ezd0r

A slight V-shape on longer hair will look something like this:

000f0e9k

And this is for U-shape :

Faye said:
Step 1

Start with combing your hair as straight as possible, removing every tangle. Part your hair in the middle, all the way down to the back of
the head. Then bring the two sides of hair forward.

000ehhzz

Step 2

Comb each side carefully until every hair strand seems to be lying in the right direction. When you're done, tilt your head back as
far as comfortable and then comb some more. You'll feel very silly doing this, and you'll look silly too. But just try to ignore that for
a while ;)

Concentrate on one side of the hair at a time. You can use a scrunchie to hold the other one in place while you trim. Comb the
un-scrunched side while still tilted back. Grab the ends of your hair with one hand (using your index and middle finger). Hold the scissors
with the other.

When you have a firm hold you can look down on your hair again. Bring the ends up and carefully trim off as much as desired.

Note: For a deeper U-shape, hold your head straight up, or tilt it forward instead.

000er43y
000ewrke

000esqyk
000et4hx

Trim both sides of hair this way, and try to make them as even as possible. You don't want to end up with hair that is shorter on one
side.

Step 3

When you're done you should have hair that is slightly V-shaped when brushed back. To remove the V and replace it with a U you need to
comb the hair back and put it in a low ponytail. Hold your head straight (no tilting this time). Pull the scrunchie as far down your ponytail as possible, and as close to the body as possible too. When you can't reach anymore, try to grab the scrunchie from behind your back instead. Pull it all the way down to the end of the ponytail. Maybe you'll need someone to help you with this.

(Update: I'm now tilting my head forward instead of holding it straight up. This produces even better results.)

000ekgc6

Now, bring the scrunchie at the end of the ponytail forward, over one of your sholders. Get hold of the scrunchie (be careful not to
pull any strands while doing this!!) and trim the tip of the ponytail off (this removes the V). If your hair is too short to reach, you can
ask someone else to trim the tip off. Comb the hair back again and make sure that you're satisfied. If you've still got a V you'll have to
ponytail your hair again and trim more of the tip off.

Step 4 (for perfectionists, not necessary to do, but highly recommended!)

If you're a perfectionist like I am, then part your hair and comb the two sides forward again, while holding your head up straight
(no tilting). You will notice that your ends are a bit uneven, so just even them up (1/4 of an inch or so).

000ef8rq

Step 5 (also for perfectionists ;)

Finally you can bring all hair forward to one side, and then comb it. You do this to make sure that you haven't missed any strands
(this might happen if your part isn't exactly in the middle of your head). Snip off all strands that are longer than the rest of the hair,
and make sure that it's even. Do this with the other side too.

000egbsk

When you're finally done, your U-shape will look something like this:

000exda5

A deeper U-shape (head held up straight instead of tilted back in Step 2) on longer hair looks like this:

000ey6kk

Hopefully, she doesn't mind me posting since I'm giving her credit and link.

Obviously her hair is much longer, but I will try a variation of this ...

Last edited:
I am a natural. I just twist, and clip off the ends. I do it as scheduled every 3-4 months. I love to not have scraggly ends!

I have tried Feye's method for the blunt cut and it works pretty well.

I will be using Testimony's method next time I trim in 6 weeks b/c I have layers. I think if I use her method and trim 1/2 inch from the bottom and only 1/4 inch from the upper layers, eventually they should catch up. I want very light layers and eventually even hair.

Ladies, thank you alll for your help with this! I did my trim last night, about an inch :eek: , but it was soooooo worth it.

Synthia, thanks for posting Feye's method. I found it on another board, and I ended up using her method for the blunt trim. Afterward, I parted and did a search and destroy :lol: . I'm very happy with the results!

Thanks again :)

Yea! I'm glad this worked for you. I bet your hair hangs so much better! :).

I was going to do a blunt, but now ...I think I'll go for the U cut. I like the idea Of having the center just a smidgen longer than the rest ...it creates the illusion that the hair is reaching for more length :lol:.

I'm doing this next week after I relax. I was going to wait until June 17th to relax (at 9 weeks just before my vacation). ...but I can't wait. I'm relaxing next weekend at 7 weeks and trimming my thin ends at least an inch.

My mom is warning me that I'm going to regret cutting my hair before vacation, but it's no fun when a few scraggly ends are getting to your goal length before the rest of your hair :lachen:. So I'm ready for a slight chop.

I'll post pictures next week if I'm not too traumatized. :eek:.

Got any pics to share?

Last edited:
Back