calling All Relaxed & Natural Ladies *I have an idea*

Missi

....i kno some of u ladies have picked up a hair magazines and read some of those misleading information: i don't know if anyone has thought of this before or know why I never thought of this before but why not submit a story about your hair care & photos to hair magazines:

....in SBHS: a reader submitted her hair care: her hair length is little below shoulder length: looks healthy: but looks very stiff: & matted to her head: here are her secrets:
  • "Every 4 weeks [she] gets an Affirm Relaxer....to keep her hair healthy looking and shiny...."
  • "....[she] keeps her hair moisturized w/ oils and grease, which helps grow & thicken [her] hair
: that bothers me some because to me its incorrect and looking at her hair looks like she puts to much oil in it: now its stiff looking..
*Marvelous Magalyn is in there too: She has fine, curly hair and says she can't do nothing to it and "[she] can NEVER get it PASSED SHOULDER LENGTH" and I wash shocked to read her hair secrets as well:
  • "You don't have to wash your hair once a week. Unless you're rolling around in the dirt, your hair's not really dirty"
  • "you can put as much product in [hair] as you want. Just rinse it out w/ conditioner.....and wash evry 2 weeks w/ Shampoo."
  • "....it puzzlez [her] when people wash their hair so much"
  • "the trick to wearing curly hair is wet it, set it, and don't touch it."
  • "sleep w/ olive oil in ur hair and wash it out in the morning if its not absorbed"
I know things can be taken out of contexts: but I was hoping if any of you ladies like the idea: if you "including myself" send in pictures to whatever hair magazine and mention how stretching has helped w/ my hair growth or washing my natural hair made it easier to do & have plenty of styles....
...do yall think they would even put us in their magazines w/ our "healthy" hair care?

SBH Magazine has been known to give a lot of false info like that. Thank God that we know better, though. Whats sad is that women read this and actually follow their "tips". I know because I was one of them.:(

I think it is a good idea. Honestly, If I knew anything about putting together a magazine, I'd want to put out our own. I always think about that, an LHCF magazine. One that doesn't let just any product be in the pages because it supposed to black hair. One that doesn't have styles that are all weave and heat. (Not that there is anything wrong with weave and heat, but a lot of people are trying to make THEIR hair look good without the damaging effects of heat and such.)

yall crazy: and I agree we should have our own Magazine: since there is always a member of the month : they can be on the front cover of that months issue: there at the Q&A pages: and the product review: and the how to's: the gossip: the children hair care section: just everything: and I hope u read this Niko cuz it is a great idea.:D

Cosmo has better hair tips for ethnic hair than black hair magazines. One time there was a section on growing out relaxed hair to become natural and another time I saw a section on how women should not relax their hair too much or within six weeks of the previous relaxer.

I think a magazine by LHCF would be nice, but too many women just want a quick fix and are more than happy to fake it forever.

I Think a nice professional magazine would be great. You could have a quarterly one if you don't want one every month. When I get a certain legth I will submit my photo to one of the black hair mags

I think submitting pics and articles to the hair mags is a good idea. I like having our own magazine even better though :D . I pretty much quit buying hair mags w/in the last year. I quit listening to their hair advice years ago, when I first found LHCF. I only continued buying the magazines for hairstyles. Every once in a while you'll see a cool and new protective style in there or a style you can make into a protective one. But like I said it's been a while since I bought SBH.

Why don't we just start a thread where:

1) Members (in one post) can post a picture(s) of their favorite hairstyle (modeled by the member herself, headshots only); they can also include instructinal pics

2) Members include instructions on how to achieve this style, what tools to use and how and hair products to use

3) Members post their daily regimen and any tips they want.

You want to make it clear that we want only posts meeting that criteria. No replies whatsoever. Members could use it like a magazine and flip thru to create a style on any given day. Just an idea.

If not a thread, this can be done in a fotki where it's regulated and each submission can be organized according to style.

I back the LHCF magazine idea, :yep: i can help UK, Europe & Africa sales and marketing! I think we have more than enough info and pics to publish editions till 2050.

I will back one too...Hey Hothair.. how about we head up the UK version :D

I am tired of magazine just full of weaves idea's. Even the celebrities have weaves and they pass it as their own.

Black women who have great skin and hair don't sometimes like to share though.. i.e divulge hair products

I am still looking for what kelis uses to get such beautiful skin :)

That is why I love LHCF ... It is truely " ALL FOR ONE, AND , ONE FOR ALL"

I know this mag will be banging!!!

I think this is a great idea! I wonder how we would get it started but I would love to help. I love that we could just do it quarterly and have relaxed, child haircare, and naturals and different protective and regular hair styles and give GOOD advice on how to take care of our hair in any state that it is in and have it grow long and healthy. I'M FOR IT!!!! :D

jade998 said:
I will back one too...Hey Hothair.. how about we head up the UK version :D

I am tired of magazine just full of weaves idea's. Even the celebrities have weaves and they pass it as their own.

Black women who have great skin and hair don't sometimes like to share though.. i.e divulge hair products

I am still looking for what kelis uses to get such beautiful skin :)

I'll edit, market and distribute the northern European edition, complete with advertizing and productmarketing available for us up here.

GeechyGurl said:
Why don't we just start a thread where:

1) Members (in one post) can post a picture(s) of their favorite hairstyle (modeled by the member herself, headshots only); they can also include instructinal pics

2) Members include instructions on how to achieve this style, what tools to use and how and hair products to use

3) Members post their daily regimen and any tips they want.

You want to make it clear that we want only posts meeting that criteria. No replies whatsoever. Members could use it like a magazine and flip thru to create a style on any given day. Just an idea.

If not a thread, this can be done in a fotki where it's regulated and each submission can be organized according to style.

thats a great idea: to me personally: i would love to see how people wrap their ponytails around hair sticks and create different buns. No one on my campus wear their hair they way these ladies do: i'll be unique ;)

Could start by maybe asking Bev for a little space on the front page of LHCF for articles and tips from LHCF members? That would get you going and then you could launch a paper mag from there, and also ANYONE could get access to it.

Just a thought. :)

Also, I SURE hope no one is offended by this but i am tired of picking up a hair magazine and seeing so and so's great hair and that person has a butt length honey blonde sew in weave. That's NOT her HAIR. I can achieve that by spending about $400. I want to see people's actual hair, for inspiration so I know it can be done.

man this is such a great idea... don't know why its got 1 star, maybe I can bump it up abit

i think that with all the tips and things you guys put in the forum, there should be a hair Tour. Kind of like a motivational speaker does. I know tons of places in houston that would love to have something like that. And you can make it a nation wide thing. And at these talks, you should promote a book based on the varying experiences of women on the forum. The talks would be heavily requested, and the books would come flying off the shelf. I have some contacts around the nation, if ya'll are interested in that kinda thing.

WOW! Sending our pics to the Black Hair magazines would be such a great idea. I actually may do that in the fall after I achieve some more length. I believe that if we all bomb-rush our pics and regimens to the magazine offices, they would actually pick up on our healthy hair practices, and possibly even join LHCF themselves to see "what all the fuss is about, and why these women are overwhelming us with pics." If they see all of the beautiful hair on here, they may feature LHCF in a spread or something. I know that's a bit of a stretch of good luck, but hey, it could happen!

i bet they wouldn't print a regimen that talks about stretching relaxers and not using certain types of products (mineral oil, etc.). it would piss off advertisers!! its sad really

LovelyZ said:
i bet they wouldn't print a regimen that talks about stretching relaxers and not using certain types of products (mineral oil, etc.). it would piss off advertisers!! its sad really

Good point! And the "minimal/no heat" would probably keep them from printing the regimen also, since the majority of their tips start with "Use a large barrel curling iron.........."

Originally Posted by jade998
I will back one too...Hey Hothair.. how about we head up the UK version

I am still looking for what kelis uses to get such beautiful skin

Nina_deF said:
I'll edit, market and distribute the northern European edition, complete with advertizing and productmarketing available for us up here.

Ok European ladies are ready for this, competition here is absolute rubbish -so what do you say Bev?

Back