Calling all naturals who rollerset....

Bublin

How long is your hair?

What products do use use prior to rolling?

What rollers do you use?

Do you use end papers?

Do you sit under a hood drier or let it dry naturally - ie overnight?

Do you blow the roots or all of your hair prior to rolling to get maximum length?

How often do you roller set and how long does it last for?

Pictures would be great......

What products do use use prior to rolling? -- I use NTM leave-in and Lottabody Setting Lotion.

What rollers do you use? - Magnetic

Do you use end papers? -- No

Do you sit under a hood drier or let it dry naturally - ie overnight? -- I sit under a hood dryer -- I could never stand to sleep on magnetics.

Do you blow the roots or all of your hair prior to rolling to get maximum length? -- I don't blowdry my hair prior to rolling, but I do wrap it afterwards and tie it up in a satin scarf. Sometimes I use my Maxiglide to straighten out the some of the curls after I remove the rollers and then I wrap it. It leaves it nice and straight with just a little curl at the ends.

How often do you roller set and how long does it last for? -- I rollerset approximately once or twice a month. If I didn't sweat it out from working out, it would probably last at least a week and a half -- my hair does really well with a rollerset and holds curls forever.

Pictures would be great -- I think there's a pic in my album.

Bublin said:
How long is your hair?
The longest layers on the sides and back are past shoulder length when stretched. The front stretches to the bottom of my chin

I used Pantene Relaxed and Natural setting lotion

What rollers do you use?
I have the plastic magnetic rollers with the covers on them
Do you use end papers?
No

I let it airdry for an hour or so then sat under the dryer

Do you blow the roots or all of your hair prior to rolling to get maximum length?
No, I rolled my hair soaking wet. Blowing it out prior to rolling would only give me a giant frizzball for hair. I do pull the curls out with the flat iron after I take out the rollers and wrap it up. Like neenzmj, my hair holds curl FOREVER!

I've only done one rollerset since I've been natural, I was doing a length check more than anything. I made it last for about a week. I work out alot so I had to keep hitting the roots with the flat iron but I only did that twice. The othe days I brushed it up into a ponytail. The length of my hair held the roller set quite nicely, it was the roots that were a beast!

I do have pictures, I swear I do, but I haven't updated my album yet:)

Last edited:
How long is your hair?
Mid-back. It's cut in layers, but the longest layer is mid back

I roll it with leave-in conditioners.

What rollers do you use?
Magnetic- purple and gray

Do you use end papers?
No

Hooded dryer! My hair would never airdry and if it did, it would be HUGE!

I straighten them after the set is done.

I rollerset it almost weekly, but I usually flat iron it and wrap it to get the roller curls out.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=124244&page=2&highlight=naturals+straighten
I showed some pics of me rollersetting my hair to straighten it on this thread. If you wanted, you could just straighten the roots and keep the curls. I usually straighten it all.

How long is your hair?
8-9 inches ranging from jawline length in the front to armpit length in the back (I have a tall oval shaped head :grin:)

Infusium 23 Original Leave-in Treatment

What rollers do you use?
Magnetic rollers

Do you use end papers?
No

Airdry if I have time... hooded dryer if I have to be somewhere

No...I rollerset my hair when it is wet. I part my hair one section at a time, spray on Infusium23, comb through, then set the roller around the section of hair.

I've rollersetted 3 times since I've been natural. Unfortunately, my rollersets do not last long... maybe 2 days max. But I kinda like how it gets all big and frizzy during the week as it tries to shrink and return to it's natural texture pattern.

Pictures would be great.
Check out pictures 68 thru 79 in my 2007 ~2ND QTR~ album ...

Check out pictures 31 thru 39 in my 2006 ~Fourth Quarter~ album ... the password is in my signature.

Does anyone use end papers when rollersettting natural hair? If so, how do you actually apply the end papers? I always used to hvae problems using end papers when I tried rollersetting in teh past with relaxed hair (well over 15 years ago). Please help!

How long is your hair? About 3" below waist-length.

What products do use use prior to rolling? Silicon mix or Lacio Lacio as my leave-in and re-wet each section before rolling with Lottabody setting lotion.

What rollers do you use? Gray magnetic

Do you use end papers? No

Do you sit under a hood drier or let it dry naturally - ie overnight? I sit under my soft bonnet hair dryer for about an hour and a half.

Do you blow the roots or all of your hair prior to rolling to get maximum length? Sometimes I'll touch up the edges with a hot air brush but mostly I wrap my hair w/ saran wrap and go back under the dryer for about 15 minutes and this straightens it out eliminating any need for additional heat.

How often do you roller set and how long does it last for? I do it every two weeks and it lasts for that long.

Pictures would be great...... I have lots of pics in my album.

timely bump on the thread. i did my first natural rollerset yesterday (i was stalking a napptural's post on np and her results were phenomenal). i just took them out about a 1/2 hour ago.

i did not use heat.

pics in my fotki: http://public.fotki.com/IsItOnlyHair/new-beginnings/july-07---empty/box-braids/

How long is your hair? about 8-9 inches

What products do use use prior to rolling? i used lottabody setting lotion diluted with water.

What rollers do you use? i used perm rods.

Do you use end papers? yes.

Do you sit under a hood drier or let it dry naturally - ie overnight? i dried overnight. my hair was not soaking wet, it was very damp with the setting lotion.

Do you blow the roots or all of your hair prior to rolling to get maximum length? i didn't and won't be. i'll just let nature take it's course and allow it to fluff out.

not sure, it's pretty humid around these parts. i don't intend on disturbing the curls much so hopefully a few days.

LynnieB said:
timely bump on the thread. i did my first natural rollerset yesterday (i was stalking a napptural's post on np and her results were phenomenal).

Which napptural? Or which thread?

I did not think that you could get results like all of yours. I thought naturals would have a rudy huxtable type look (big) when trying to do a natural..but everyone's looks really nice....makes me think that I can achieve this look while transitioning, because this phony pony needs to be shot..I'm tired of it... :lachen:

I tried it so I guess I can provide a real answer now....

How long is your hair? Neck length last time I checked

What products do use use prior to rolling? I used a foaming wrap lotion

What rollers do you use? I used green ones and pink ones with clips

Do you use end papers? Nope

Do you sit under a hood drier or let it dry naturally - ie overnight? I let it dry for a few hours

Do you blow the roots or all of your hair prior to rolling to get maximum length? Nope

How often do you roller set and how long does it last for? I flat ironed it once it dried. It got pretty straight other than the very root and the very end. That's why I flat ironed. I didn't like it though and washed it out after a day or 2.

There's pictures in my fotki.

InNeedofHairapy said:
I did not think that you could get results like all of yours. I thought naturals would have a rudy huxtable type look (big) when trying to do a natural..but everyone's looks really nice....makes me think that I can achieve this look while transitioning, because this phony pony needs to be shot..I'm tired of it... :lachen:
Right. That is why I never tried to rollerset because I thought it would be a big ole poof. When I get some time I may try it.

OnAHairQuest said:
Right. That is why I never tried to rollerset because I thought it would be a big ole poof. When I get some time I may try it.

My mom kept saying that when I was sitting there rolling my hair up. She was like I didn't even think you'd be able to get on the rollers. :perplexed

I wasn't planning on straightening my hair w/ heat until Winter (by rollersetting it first), but I may try only rollersetting when I get back to TN, just to see how smooth it gets, and how it would look.

Back