Calling all naturals and transitioners...updates

How is your hair growth progress coming along?
I am extremely pleased with the progress. I started off with relaxed shoulder length hair before doing my big chop in July.

How long is your natural hair now?
My natural hair is now almost nape length.

Have you tried any new products, vitamins, herbs, or oils lately?
Pantene Hydrating Curls is a keeper. I use it for my conditioning washes. I deep condition my hair once a week for 30 minutes under my soft bonnet dryer. I use Kerastase Masquintense. I find that the conditioner combined with heat penetrates and moisturizes my natural hair better and “sets” my hair up for the rest of the week. If my hair is feeling dry during the week, I will use the Pantene and leave it on for 10 minutes or so before rinsing or do an extra heat treatment with Pantene for 5 minutes.

I follow up with a creamy leave-in. I love Nexxus Headress mixed with jojoba oil and I use a 98% aloe vera gel from the health food store to hold the style.

On days when I am too lazy to do conditioning washes or if it’s too cold in the mornings, I spritz my hair with Infusium-23 followed with aloe vera gel.

I use satin pillowcases now to sleep on. At night, I spritz my hair lightly and then apply some coconut, or jojoba or avocado oils or a combination.

I tried Biotin 2 mgs and it broke my skin out. I stopped using it.
I’ve been using Silica and Omega-3 but it’s been a little over a month and to be honest I don’t know if it has made any contribution. I think the real test will be to see what happens if I stop taking it.

Do you have healthy hair or have you been experiencing breakage?
My hair has never been so healthy. No breakage whatsoever.

What have you done to change your hair care routine for the better?
I stopped the daily usage of curling irons and blow dryers and products containing petrolatum and mineral oils. I’ve also cut back shampooing to once a week but I would like to stretch it out to every two weeks because shampooing is extremely drying to natural hair. I would like to try other alternatives to cleaning my scalp. I make sure my hair is moisturized.

Peachtree...your hair is gorgeous. You are on your natural way!
bouncy.gif

I am content with the growth progress. I think it is about ½ per month.

Measuring from the scalp (I am never how to measure) about 9 in at its shortest and 15 in at its longest.

I have been getting burned out on vitamins and such (general multi-vit and nurishair and flax oil). I have been trying to exercise more for health reasons, and I am hoping it will have a positive affect on my hair. And yes I have been eating more eggs.

I never paid much attention to my hair. Now that I am trying to follow tips on this and other sites, I am aware of every imperfection. I think my hair is healthy. I don’t see much breakage, but I am still frustrated with split and dry ends b/c I rarely (twice a year) use heat.

I have shifted to protective styles. That has made a huge difference in the last few weeks. I love the way my hair looks out whether in its natural, full state, or in outrageously large twit out, but I think all of the "out " styles were drying to my hair. Since trying Adrienne’s baggie technique (which I doubted at first) in conjunction with a phony tail, my hair is so soft. Also no pooing has changed my hair for the better.

<font color="black"> </font>

My hair is growing really slow.

It is too the base of my neck.

Kenra Intensive Moisture Treatment

It is healthy not breakage.

I rinse and brush my hair daily and I use more alcohol.

[ QUOTE ]
Peachtree...your hair is gorgeous. You are on your natural way!
bouncy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why thank u sweetie pie
kiss.gif

I'm counting down the months... got about 24 more to go to reach shoulder length "natural" hair
trampoline.gif

I'm looking forward to the same, Peachtree. Shoulder-length natural hair when curly! I think I'll be ready to cut my hair by then if I don't earlier, which I don't think I will....

Update for me are that I'm getting paranoid about my hair breaking at the nape of my neck. Going straight across the VERY VERY back of my hair right before my neck, my hair seemed to have broken off from the 'bad relaxer' so it's all one length and all natural. The bad news is that I know it's from breakage b/c all of that hair should be as long as the rest of my hair. The good news is that it is at least growing and is in the back so I can hide it. The bad news is that I worry about the breakage going further and further up b/c I am sure there's more there than there was 2 months ago.
frown.gif
The good news is that it is all natural hair so I get an idea of how my natural hair will behave.

I'm going to minimize any type of ponytail (even buns) for the next few months and instead pin my hair up with a barrette or a banana clip.

The saga never ends...I long for the days when I used to have such healthy hair...
frown.gif

My hair is growing too slow for my liking but im not giving up yet.

I have about 1 - 1.5 inches of natural hair and 9 - 10 inches of relaxed ahir

Lotus herbal oil

I have quite a lot of shedding.

I wear my hair in cornrows/braid outs ,rinse or conditioner wash every other day

I think it's coming along fine. I don't worry about it much.
Probably about 4-6 inches (I don't measure).

Surge Hair Revitalizer Plus 14 - I like it a lot. I think it is helping my hair grow faster, and if that isn't true, well, my hair is acting stronger and looking shinier since I've started using it 10 days ago, so I'm happy with it.
Conditioning washes and cutting back on the products to miminize buildup. Looking at the labels of stuff and learning what ingredients agree with me and which ones don't. Most of all, treating my hair gently with the combs and brushes.

I guess that I'm more pleased with the overall health of my hair, rather than the growth downward. I can tell that my hair is shinier, thicker and sheds and breaks less often.

Different lengths, depending on the area. In the front, my hair is about 6.5 inches, but in the back, it's about 7.5, even 8 inches. The sides and crown is shorter, anywhere from 5.5-6.5 inches.

Still doing the regimen described in my signature. Drinking tons of water, exercise. In the year since the BIG CHOP, I gained about 7 inches average. So, considering the change in diet, supplementation and overall lifestyle, I hope to have even better results this time next year. The goal is to have at least 16-17 inches all around, and I don't think that's too ambitious, considering that I gained about 7 inches in the first year.

I NEVER, I mean NEVER use heat, and I can certainly tell the difference in my hair. My hair is so much healthier. I DO, however, like to experiment with colors, but I will not color more than 2 or 3 times a year. I have no breakage, no shedding, no thinning. In fact, my hair has become healthier, shinier, and thicker. The no-poo method has already contributed to this success.

What I'd like to do as my hair gets longer is practice doing two-strand twists. I might have to start out by getting them done professionally. I've also not ruled out adding kinky hair to form the twists and just leaving my hair alone when it gets extremely cold. Right now, I wear the same ole tired afro puff...getting tired of this hairstyle, too.

Hey everybody I have a few updates to share.

I added 2 new products to my routine.

I now use Dr. Bronner's ALOE VERA BABY-MILD Pure-Castile Soap to shampoo my hair. I diluute it in water and it creates a rich SLS free lather. It rinses clean with no slip. I love this stuff. It is so gentle.

I now also use a Burt's Bees baby bee butermilk lotion as a light-weight hair moisturizer. It's all natural, lightweight and smells lovely.

I also just updated my album : The link is in my signature line. The password is: hair

Re: Calling all naturals and transitioners...updat

Good but hasnt started yet

about 2-2.5 in I just chopped it off Sunday from 9in of relaxed hair two of which was new growth

Glad you asked! i just went shopping today. I bought for the first time ever Pantene Clarifying Shampoo, Pantene R&amp;N Conditioner, Herbal Essences Triple Conditioner, Dove Intense Moisturizing Conditioner, Garnier Fructis Conditioning Masque, Ic Aloe vera Deep Penetrating Conditioner, Hot 6 Oil , Elasta QP Mango Butter, IC Gel with Sparkle Lites...Wheew! and It all came to $45.00! I also take a B complex by rite aid, Vitamin C chew tabs, and 5 Gummy Vites cuz I hate swallowing pills.

I got the normal about of breakage that anybody gets, like 4 or 5 strands out of 100,000 or .0005 percent of my hair lol I luv Math!!!! But now that Im natural I havent noticed any!

Well Im gonna try the No-poo Method and Im gonna wash with my Clarifying shampoo twice every month and the rest will be Conditioner washes. Ill see how that works.

Well, I did the big chop and I'm sporting a low cut w/ a fade on sides/back. I'm holding off on growing for a while.. the style's just too cute.

but I'm still using the same staples I've always used..

olive oil
rosemary oil
Moisturfuse
coconut oil
LeKair cholesterol

only I added Creme of Nature shampoo (to replace Mizani's Purifyhing shampoo) and glycerin to spritz once in a while. I still do a deep condition (preshampoo olive oil treatment) once a week w/ LeKair and add either coconut oil or some jojoba on the damp hair before I tie it w/ a pair of stockings. I get a lot of shine and waves that way. Also, I massage the scalp every night w/ some rosemary to keep from getting a dry scalp. My hair grows fast, but I'm cutting it down just as fast..

But I'm gonna try Lee's Vaseline challenge, even though my hair's short..
laugh.gif

My hair can never get too soft or have too much shine!
smile.gif

My growth and retention is way better than I thought. I have been getting almost if not an inch per month of growth since I did the big chop in July. I anticipate a trim sometime in March.

The back of my hair when straightened is scraping my shoulders. The sides are shorter, about chin length when straightened and my bangs are almost reaching my top lip. I can pull my hair into a ponytail finally!! I am so pleased with all the new growth!!

I’ve slacked off on the water a bit, I went from drinking 10 glasses per day to 6. Some days 4. I can’t stand all the peeing and looking for bathrooms everytime I’m out.

I was doing Biotin, but it broke me out. I stopped taking it. I was taking Silica and Omega vitamins, but I stopped all that in September. I got tired of all the pill popping. Now I just take a b vitamin and 50mg. tablet of Zinc everyday. I also started using Weleda’s rosemary oil hair treatment but only at night because of the strong vicks smell.

No breakage whatsoever and my hair has never been so healthy! I’ve even used the curling iron a few times. I air dry may hair and then curl my hair on the 5 setting. 10 being the highest setting on my curling iron.

Deep conditioning every week for 20 minutes with heat. Daily conditioning washes. Sometimes I skip a day in between. Honest to goodness I hate doing it in the winter, but my hair is at its best after doing one. Sometimes I use a diffuser on low heat. I mix vegetable glycerine and oil in my regular conditioner for the conditioning washes. It makes my hair so incredibly soft!! Also, silk pillowcases make a big difference. The back of my hair is frizzier and drier than the rest of my hair but now that I use silk (or refined polyster) the back is less bushy. I also oil the shafts from hair every day. I don’t apply anything to my scalp. I have no problems with my scalp and plus my scalp is oily anyway.

My hair is growing just fine. I am amazed at the length of my nape area hair.

I haven't measured my natural hair in over a month but my guess is that it's just shy of 5 inches.

Lately, I've tried Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Gel though it is a little thick to use everyday. I also tried Fantasia IC Deep Penetrating Creme Moisturizer which seems pretty nice and has keratin protein to strengthen my hair. I had been afraid of protein but now I will try to use this once a month. Other than that, I've just tried a variety of conditioners.

I probably won't have healthy hair until I complete transitioning b/c of my original breakage issues. However, I don't think my hair is breaking anymore.

I keep my nape area moist which I think is contributing to the growth. Also adding protein to strengthen my hair. Keeping up with deep conditioning and being extra gentle with my hair.

Good, I gained about two inches in four months, so it is coming along nicely.

My hair is semi-layered. I don't have exact measurements, but the top and sides stretch to my shoulder blade, while the back stretches to my bra-clasp.

I just tried VO5 Strawberries and Creme yesterday for a conditioner wash and I like the results so far.

Healthy for the most part, but occasionally I notice a few split ends and knots here and there.

Since I stopped using heat almost two and a half years ago, I began to retain more length. Also, I am using shampoo less often. Plus, I changed my diet and I exercise (5-6 days a week).

Hey!! My hair progress is coming along wonderfully. Strange but since I have more new growth (it's been a year), I am able to manage my hair better-I can even put it in a nice bun,but the downside to that is I have to section and moisturize and condition each section for manageability.

[ QUOTE ]
AFashionSlave said:

I now use Dr. Bronner's ALOE VERA BABY-MILD Pure-Castile Soap to shampoo my hair. I diluute it in water and it creates a rich SLS free lather. It rinses clean with no slip.

[/ QUOTE ]

AFashionSlave,

Did you mean it rinses clean with no slip, or that it rinses clean WITH slip?
confused.gif
I was just wondering, b/c I've thought about using it as a shampoo, but only if it gives slip. Thanks.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
tennile said:
...but the downside to that is I have to section and moisturize and condition each section for manageability.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tennile,
This is also my least favorite part of dealing with my hair and it takes the most time...
That...and dealing with my frizzies though I don't think they will be an issue in another 6 months.

I am a transitioner and my hair growth is going pretty well. But, I am in braids so I can't really tell that well. I do know that I can see some new growth and it looks very healthy thanks to me eating better and taking my supplements and of course my protein drink.

I have put my answers in below...

AFashionSlave said:
I am starting to get a little frustrated waiting for some growth progress. I know that my hair is growing faster than normal, but the shrinkage is driving me nuts. I'm just looking for some updates. Maybe you all will inspire me to make some changes to my hair care routine.

I'm a new transitioner. About 8-9 weeks post relaxer. So far I have noticed about 1 inch of wavy new growth. I guess this rate is about right (1/2 per month) but I wish it could be more. During the 2 months I've only used Wild Growth Oil as a hair stimulant. I don't think it makes my hair grow any faster but it does give my hair shine and coats my ends. I'm a little hesitant to try MTG.
Only 1 inch of new growth. :ohwell:
Only a multivitamin and WGO. I may start using MTG, not sure yet.
I got a 2 inch cut about 1 month ago. Since then my hair is become healthier by far. I still have a small damaged section but I am just waiting until it grows out. I have not experienced a lot of breakage or shedding. When I see breakage, I moisturize my ends and the area where the NG meets the relaxed hair.

I used to wash my hair infrequently. Now I wash it every 5-6 days. I haven't tried the CO wash yet. My regimen has been working great and I notice that my new growth is so much softer when I wash my hair more frequently. It likes water! :)
Thanks in advance ladies.

It's okay. I got about 4 inches last year during my transition.

About 6 3/4 inches.

Rosemary EO.

Healthy hair, but thin temple area.

Made it more simple. I conditioner wash 1-2 times a week. Add shealoe after the wash(es). Spritz with water nightly.

Back