Calling all hair type 2A ladies...HELP needed!!!

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
My mother's hair is breaking off badly.
frown.gif
Throughout her teens and 20's, her hair was waist length. She has been wearing it 6 inches past shoulder length since the 80's. It was healthy and full, but now she is experiencing a lot of breakage and thinning. She had to get it cut 2 weeks ago to shoulder length (to get rid of the split ends). Recently, she started following my hair regimen (avoiding products that contain harsh chemicals, washing it more frequently ect). Her hair is getting back on track, however, there is still some breakage (not nearly as much as before).
look.gif

Anyway getting on to my question. I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a good hair oil to me for type 2A hair. Her hair and scalp tend to dry out fast because she is a type 2 Diabetic.
mad.gif
The winter weather is not helping it either. We have been looking for a good hair oil, but we haven't found one that doesn't contain harsh chemicals (mineral oil, alcohol ect.). I was also wondering if you could recommend a good deep conditioner. I was thinking about getting her Motions deep conditioner. I was also going to get her Surge, but I read that it can cause dryness and flaking. Since her hair is in such bad shape now, I don't think it is worth the risk?. Thanks for your replies in advance!
drunk.gif

Re: Calling all hair type 2A ladies...HELP needed!

[ QUOTE ]
erica78 said:
...Anyway getting on to my question. I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a good hair oil to me for type 2A hair. Her hair and scalp tend to dry out fast because she is a type 2 Diabetic.
mad.gif
The winter weather is not helping it either. We have been looking for a good hair oil, but we haven't found one that doesn't contain harsh chemicals (mineral oil, alcohol ect.). I was also wondering if you could recommend a good deep conditioner...

[/ QUOTE ]

Has your mom tried jojoba oil? I'm not a type 2 but I think jojoba oil would work well on any type. It's light and the composition matches closely to the sebum produced by our own scalps.

Another thing she may want to try is biotin. She will have to do some research on her own and also consult her physician before using this supplement but I've read where biotin has been used to treat certain scalp disorders and Type 2 diabetes. We had a member a while back who discussed her diabetes in relation to biotin supplementation. Perhaps Mom's scalp condition is related to her medical condition? I don't know. It would be worth it for her to ask her doc.
tongue.gif

Re: Calling all hair type 2A ladies...HELP needed!

Thanks for recommending the jojoba oil! We know for sure that her hair loss, and breakage is a combination of things. The Diabetes is the main culprit. It causes her hair and scalp to dry out big time. I will definitely recommend this to her. Do you use pure jojoba oil, or a brand name product for hair? I did some searching and came across some posts about just doing conditioner washes. After hearing all of the raves about them, I am also going to recommend that to her.
smile.gif

Unfortunately, due to some of the medications that she is taking, she is not able to take Biotin. My mom has always been a big vitamin buff. The Selenium that she was taking increased her hair growth and fullness, but her doctor recommended that she stop taking it. She recently started again...so hopefully it will help.

Back