Calling all 4a/b lye relaxers

Godsway

Hi,

I am a 4a/b and have been recently transitioning but, I have decided to give relaxers another try after I read about the damaging effects of no-lye relaxers which I have been using since I got a perm many moons ago. I want to try a lye relaxer before I jump on the natural path and see how that works for me. What are some good lines of lye relaxers? THe posts on the motions line havent been that positive. A former hairdresser of mine(In another state) suggested Optimum Lye?? Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

I just switched from no-lye to lye and I've been using Revlon Realistic. It's been gentle on my hair and you can get it in mild, regular or super. Everytime I've used it, my hair was straight and soft.

Godsway said:
Hi,

I am a 4a/b and have been recently transitioning but, I have decided to give relaxers another try after I read about the damaging effects of no-lye relaxers which I have been using since I got a perm many moons ago. I want to try a lye relaxer before I jump on the natural path and see how that works for me. What are some good lines of lye relaxers? THe posts on the motions line havent been that positive. A former hairdresser of mine(In another state) suggested Optimum Lye?? Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

I would use Affirm, Mizani, or Vitale. Either one of these are great. I personally use Vitale (for Coarse Hair- they do have other formulas, my hair is just resistant). My reason for using Vitale is because it does a great job on my hair, does not burn (make sure you base your scalp- that is advisable with all relaxers), is readily available (the others usually requires a cosmetologist license (unless you know someone or buy online), though Mizani is becoming more readily available) and it is most economical. HTH. I am sure after some of the ladies read this post they will chime in. There are other posts on this topic. You can find them through the search.

Last edited:
Initially, I had planned to relax with Mizani Regular for this past relaxer, but the stylist I went to didn't use it. After chit chatting with a couple of ladies here, I decided to use Motions Oil Relaxer this go 'round and try Mizani next time. I left the Motions on for 26 minutes and my hair is not bone straight (my preference). I'm very pleased with the results.

I LOOOOOOOOOVE the way my hair came out with the Motions. I may go ahead and stick with Motions although, like you, the reviews I had read hadn't been glowing. So who knows? I'll decide later. I'm just glad I got through this relaxer with as little trauma as possible, lol. Perhaps I'll use Mizani next time and keep Motions on hand as a back up.

I had a Design Lye relaxer, and it was horrible. My hair shed and broke to high heaven and it was SOOOOOOOOO dry and unhealthy looking. No more Design anything for me!

Two enthusiastic thumbs up for Motions Oil Relaxer!
Two thumbs down for Design!

Back