Calling 4a/b/c naturals who wear ponys or puffs

Trell

I have a question. I am attempting to use puffs and ponys as a protective style for the summer. My delimma is that during the process of gathering my hair up into the pony I am encountering a lot of breakage due to the combing and brushing.
frown.gif

I only comb my hair when wet with lots of leave-in conditioner (the creamy type). I use a K-cutter comb and the Denman brush. What else can I do to achieve this style with minimal breakage?

I don't brush my wet natural hair at all... I only comb my hair in the shower with rinse out conditioner, then pat dry (not rub) with a towel. I put a creamy leave-in in it and then put it all up in a scrunchie/puff.

Some shedding is natural, but there shouldn't be too much if you do it this way. Good luck!

You should use a soft boar-bristle brush to smooth your hair into a pony -puff. Make sure to soften the bristles by dunking or holding the brush in warm water before using it.
Only brush just enough to get your hair in the puff.

I agree with the other ladies... I detangle in the shower with conditioner and my denman brush, shake dry and then use a little pure aloe gel and royal roots moisture glaze... once its slightly damp I use a soft boar bristle brush to smooth enought to go back and not be lumpy

I just put a pic in my album of my puff I tried this way

I am currently doing as suggested with detangling in the shower with conditioner. I then put in my leave-in and proceed to create my puff. This is usually done at night so, once my puff is made I tie it up and go to bed. Afterwards, I don't take it down until I get ready to wash it again. For maintenance, I just smooth on a little leave-in at night and tie it down.

To me it seems I experience a lot of breakage getting my hair into the puff.

I usually spray my comb and brush with a light oil sheen to make it glide through the hair. I dont't use scrunchies but elastics (made by Scrunchie)that I spray generously with oil before putting them in my hair. I spray around the elastic when removing for my next wash.

When I wore ponypuffs, I would just fingercomb my hair up towards the top of my head, put an elastic to hold the hair up, place a stretch comb at the crown of my head, and then take out the elastic so that my hair could puff out. Then I would smooth my hairline (as smooth as it could get), with a bit of product, the palms of my hands, and a brush. This method was more gentle for my hairline & didn't cause much breakage. To have the hair tighter, I would tie a scarf around it (but this caused breakage for me).

I think making a puff is easier if the hair is stretched out overnight with plaits or bantu knots. I've never done a puff with wet hair. Here is a picture of the stretch combs I use. I couldn't imagine making a puff without these:

10_l.jpg

At one time, my hair was so weak that any kind of manipulation caused breakage. Maybe you need to beef up your protein intake and/or use protein conditioners more often.
smile.gif

Using heavy duty proteins like Aubrey's GPB or Sally's Generic Joico K-Pak once a month and milder proteins (Summit Mend, Lustrasilk HPC, Lekair Professional Cholesterol) once a week worked wonders for my hair.

I also use Surge on my hairline and nape at night to keep them strong since I wear my hair pulled back all the time.

I've tried using these combs but they never seemed "sturdy" enough to me (during my relaxer days). Do you have any other suggestions for a firmer hold?

Re: Calling 4a/b/c naturals who wear ponys or puff

Try a detangling shampoo like Cream of Nature, and make sure your hair is "Damp" or "towel dry" not wet. Hair breaks much easier when wet.

[ QUOTE ]
bee said:
I've tried using these combs but they never seemed "sturdy" enough to me (during my relaxer days). Do you have any other suggestions for a firmer hold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed that some stretch combs are firmer than others. I've seen some really cheap, flimsy ones in the stores. For a firmer hold, I use something similar to the picture below, but it's a bit rounder (and it's called a "cincher"). I snapped off some of the teeth to make the spaces about a centimeter apart & filed down the rough spots. This only works, though, if the hair is long enough to make a ponytail. I put it on my head sideways, and it makes a pretty round puff.
103899.jpg

To get my hair to lay down, I brush back just a little with a boar bristle brush and then I tie my hairline loosely with a scarf. 20 minutes later, voila! Smooth hairline. I find that a scarf works best for getting my higher puffs (tied loosely of course), but I also like the stretchy combs. For some reason I can't get a high puff with them though.

[ QUOTE ]
Trell said:
I have a question. I am attempting to use puffs and ponys as a protective style for the summer. My delimma is that during the process of gathering my hair up into the pony I am encountering a lot of breakage due to the combing and brushing.
frown.gif

I only comb my hair when wet with lots of leave-in conditioner (the creamy type). I use a K-cutter comb and the Denman brush. What else can I do to achieve this style with minimal breakage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly..and speaking from my experience...Youre betteroff..leaving your hair alone...because before when I didnt know I could tie my hair to make a puff...i would leave it out...just wash n go than when i started putting my hair in a puf...it became my daily hairstyle and I realized how my hair is not liek it use to be i have layers everywhere maybe its because of the elastic I experienced breakage. Now im back to the huge curly afro that looks WILD!! Im leaving my hair alone..I try not to brush it as often as I use to and just brush it when I have conditionner in my hair. Stay away from brushes the more that you can..that is my advice.

@Ipanema: I use combs like the "cincher" all the time! It's my favorite tool for ponytail making. However, I can't always find them. When I do see them, I purchase as many as they have on the shelf. They seem to disappear/reappear, all too often.

Got any tips on where I can find these on a continuous basis? BTW, whenever (and this occurs once or twice a week) I'm in Target, KMart, Walgreens, WalMart or CVS, I look for these combs. Just wanted you to know where I look for them in case any one of these stores, may be a suggestion of yours.

They have them in Eckerd & you can order them online, too.

I just searched their website & found a picture of it:
898668.jpg

Back