Busted Looking Healthy Hair

theLovelyStyle

Do you all ever feel like because you are wearing mostly protective styles that it is sometimes challenging to keep your hair nice n neat looking?? For example you have healthy hair but it just looks a lil busted because ur tryn not to break out the heat for a quick fix??

LOL @ the title! my protective styles usually are ok looking ---my hair is healthy it is only when I attempt to flat iron my hair when it looks BUSTED! thats why I have no pics of my hair straightened yet when It gets a little fuller then we'll see. :)

I think there can be a balance.

Protective styles can be really cute and current looking, just avoid styles that are really dull and aging, find a way to remix certain concepts on protecting the hair and make it work for you:yep:

For example, we know that low-manipulation can be very healthy for the hair and we know that for many, keeping the hair in cornrows for long periods can really make retention effortless. Well I knew I wanted a break from my hair but I also knew my girly girl self could NEVER EVER walk around with cornrows, so I decided I'll do crochet braids on myself and my mom and its been a spectacular experience all the fabulousness with none of the harm to your real hair.

There can be a balance between keeping the hair protected and still looking chic:cool2:otherwise, I honestly wouldn't do it:giggle:

:lachen: my sister just said, " What happened to your hair, I thought it was healthy last week" when she saw me with my air dried texlax hair with no heat. I told her, it is healthy I just did not apply any heat to make it look slick. My hair was so puffy. My protective styles are usually neat because I wear wigs or cute banana clip styles.

I find the healthier my hair gets, into my HHJ, the nicer my protective styles look. Also because I've got as lil bit more length now I'm not limited to the types of buns I do so this helps. As long as my hair is moisturised and not dry looking that's half the battle won as far as I'm concerned.

There are so many protective styles to choose from. I think its important to pick one that compliments your lifestyle and your features. I don't look cute in cornrows so I would never pick that style for myself.

:ohwell: I suck at protective styling. I can only do twists and even those look busted. I guess in the long run I would rather look temporarily busted than to be busted for an eternity. I guess that isthe price I have to pay.

LOL I get what you're saying.

For me, I feel my hair looks...not as nice as I would like it to look lol...when I'm protective styling and in my last couple weeks of my relaxer stretches. I don't like flat ironing my roots continuously and since I'm now working out 3-4x a week, it would be completely pointless to keep flat ironning the roots. So a lot of headbands and phony ponies for me at that point, if my roots are too jacked to wear a flexirod style (I haven't "mastered" bunning).

And I'm limited in my protective styles because I don't like wigs and I can't braid or twist if my life depended on it. I am going to be getting kinky twists soon though which I've never gotten before.

Im with you, right now my hair looks loco,I have two textures to deal with and I'm trying to keep my bun's low tension. When I had full texlaxed hair I could slap a head band on my curls or have a cute curly puff ---but these cute 'out' styles were causing major breakage. I thought my hair wasn't "growing". Now I have healthier hair but less cute styles(trying to maintain those texlaxed ends since I DO NOT want to BC). CoSign with BlackMasterPiece about the braids (That was cute when Eve and A.Keys were doing it waaay back in middle and high school, but now I need some hair out--i'm a gilry girl too!)

I wish I could make my bin cuter, right now (as I type) hair is coming out all over the place form my bun because my hair is not long enough. We almost APL girls need a cute PS that does not involve weave...hmmm

P.S. I may try those crochet braides..hmmmm

I am the most busted looking protective styler I know! Ya'll should see how I go to work in the AM. There's no style just straight plaits, not well parted sometimes tangled hair (like now). One side has 4 plaits and the other 3. Ask me if I care?

Yes! I'm busted looking today trying to hold out 1 more wk to reach my 12 wks before I relax. Beady beads are everywhere.

There are so many protective styles to choose from. I think its important to pick one that compliments your lifestyle and your features. I don't look cute in cornrows so I would never pick that style for myself.

ITA

I have my hair in buns, but I make sure it looks appropriate for work. It might be boring to some people, but I would never walk around with busted hair Love the title by the way ahahha

For the ladies that are protective styling and have to deal with two textures, my heart goes out to you LOL I remember those days and my hair would look pretty busted. Mostly because I wasn't sure what products to use and my hair wouldn't cooperate.

I feel your pain. Right now I just look crazy because my hair isn't exactly long enough right now to do any real protective styling. On top of that I can't twist, braid, cornrow, or any of that type of stuff. That is why I am half-wigging it right now. That way it doesn't matter how frizzy I may be underneath it. Right now keeping my hair healthy and retaining length is more important than looking good with my own hair out.

That's me. Not necessarily because of protective styling, but because I suck at styling, in general. :look: This was another reason why I relaxed, in fact. It's better now that I am relaxed, but yeah.... I'm still not gonna be anyone's "hair idol" anytime soon. :lachen:

I look busted sometimes too. I don't like wigs and I'd miss my hair too much to get a sew in. I'm pretty anti weave for myself. I used to rock weaves all the time when I was younger but now I can't even think of myself in a weave. It's weird.

LOL! Ok Im soo glad Im not the only one though!! I just DCed last night and air dried my hair over night in a pony and put it into a messy bun...not a deliberately messy bun...just the one u make when when ur rushing in the morning lol

I'll sacrifice a "cute" style on my natural hair ANY DAY for health and length. If I wanna look sharp/cute, then I do my wigs/clip-on extensions. Or, I do PS styles that still look nice using accessories. If I do wear my own hair out, then it has to be a special occasion or for a date. Those days are over where I would use too much heat, gel, or tension to make my hair look a certain way.

I do my LF's when leaving the house anyway, but um, yeah...at home, these Celie braids do look a mess sometimes--especially when it's 'bout time to take it down, wash, and re-braid! Those serve as my PS under my LF's. But, hell it's only me and my daughter, so who cares! I pull it all together quite right when I have to go out. My buns & other PS NEVER look "busted." I ain't havin' that.

ETA: Most days at home, I have on my black satin scarf over my braids, and then I take that off and throw on a wig to go out! lol

Last edited:
I look busted with strait styles, now that my new growth is kicking in. Protective styles now only look good on me.:blush:

I just were a black satin scarf all day everyday.

I do have my "fixed" under the scarf but I like keeping it covered. if anyone ask, I just say I get cold easily and this helps me stay warm.

I don't know what I will do when the summer comes for having an excuse LOL

Have you tried the E-Z Combs? They work great at taking hair that cannot be worn out that day, to cute lookiing hair. Something about the way they hold the hair...I'll try and post some of the things I do with them....they save my life!

I just were a black satin scarf all day everyday.

I do have my "fixed" under the scarf but I like keeping it covered. if anyone ask, I just say I get cold easily and this helps me stay warm.

I don't know what I will do when the summer comes for having an excuse LOL
May I ask why?

Have you tried the E-Z Combs? They work great at taking hair that cannot be worn out that day, to cute lookiing hair. Something about the way they hold the hair...I'll try and post some of the things I do with them....they save my life!

Yes. I have E-Z combs. They make me look so done up even if it's the exact same hairstyle I had for work but I just slap on an E-Z comb and I look fabulous. lol.

Yes busted is how I look right now, and being a newbie I keep looking at myself thinking ugggh my hair was so much cuter before I started my HHJ. It doesn't matter what the protective style is, in general I look better in "out" styles whether my hair is straightened or I'm just wearing it natural. I have a very round face and having my hair pulled back in a bun just accentuates that. My hair is also thin and I'm a bad stylist so my twists usually come out ugly.
Although I don't like wearing wigs or extensions I bought a wig today to see if it could help me get some of my sexy back while I ps. Hopefully as my hair gets longer and I get more practice styling I'll get better and have some more options. I just keep telling myself it will pay off in the long run.

I am the most busted looking protective styler I know! Ya'll should see how I go to work in the AM. There's no style just straight plaits, not well parted sometimes tangled hair (like now). One side has 4 plaits and the other 3. Ask me if I care?
Don't feel bad; I'm in the same club. I will have more time soon, so I am going to dedicate a portion of it learning to flat twist my hair.

Do you all ever feel like because you are wearing mostly protective styles that it is sometimes challenging to keep your hair nice n neat looking?? For example you have healthy hair but it just looks a lil busted because ur tryn not to break out the heat for a quick fix??

I feel like this but is because i am so lazy.:grin:

hmm how to make a long story short. my protective style self intalled is cornrows I have a lot of flyaway hairs and it makes my hair look fuzzy.
so instead of redoing them everyday
I just feel more comfortable keeping them covered. Besides thanks to your post about Longhairdon'tcare reggie, I am doing my best to not touch my hair too much for a month.
Whew ok so that's why, in the meantime I really like keeping it covered sometimes I keep my plastic bag on under the scarf too:yep:
May I ask why?

All I can say is that headbands are my friend! They keep my roots from looking too crazy. But to some extent I have to just mentally prepare myself for the fact that my style is not going to be all sleek and smooth w/ most PS and low-manip styles.

no way-i couldn't do it.
every style, protective or not, that i walk out of my dorm room with has to be fly or pretty darn close to it. :look:

Back