Buns/tucking hair dry out ends?

abcd09

I don't understand why this would happen. It seems like when I tuck my moisturized ends into moisturized hair, like in a bun, the ends come out scraggly and ragged. I'm not rough with them, and I'm not shoving them under my other hair, just lightly tucking after moisturizing and sealing. I just got a trim, so I don't really understand. My guess is my hair is sucking the moisture out of the ends for itself.

How is this combated to retain length.

I bun often and never have this happen. Please detail:
1. What products you are using to moisturize/seal.
2. How you bun your hair?
3. Does this happen when wearing other styles (or just when bunning)?
My bunning method is listed within my blog.

I used to have the same problem...for me, it was the type of bun. For some reason, the donut bun with the sock/bun form just effs with my ends. I could never explain it.
I switched over to other kinds of buns (southern tease, chinese bun, pincurl bun, etc) and all was well.

So switch up your bun style and see if that helps.
I also think that you may see more success if you secure your bun with pins, a smooth hair stick, or something like that, rather than an elastic.

I bun often and never have this happen. Please detail:
1. What products you are using to moisturize/seal.
2. How you bun your hair?
3. Does this happen when wearing other styles (or just when bunning)?
My bunning method is listed within my blog.
1) I used different things for moisture. Sometimes a dab of a leave in and some vatika oil, followed by argan oil. it works when my hair is down.
2) I secure with a band, then roll into s circle, then secure with a bobby pin, then tuck the ends into either the rolled part, or the nape.
3) No. I have problems with ends though. I had a long term stretch and they thinned out a lot. I also have been wearing it down on some days. The way I moisturize and seal leaves my hair soft and shiny. But with this bun I noticed my ends get ragged easily, even though I just cut them .

I used to have the same problem...for me, it was the type of bun. For some reason, the donut bun with the sock/bun form just effs with my ends. I could never explain it.
I switched over to other kinds of buns (southern tease, chinese bun, pincurl bun, etc) and all was well.

I also think that you may see more success if you secure your bun with pins, a smooth hair stick, or something like that, rather than an elastic.
Thanks. I'm not too fond of the hair stick, and I can never get a secure bun with a pin. Does anyone find that the plastic hair holders, like the clippies, break off hair?

I also think that you may see more success if you secure your bun with pins, a smooth hair stick, or something like that, rather than an elastic.[/QUOTE]

ITA! I had no luck with tucking my ends under the elastic. So I pin my ends and they have made huge progress.

I find that if I want to just tuck my hair sans pins I have to use a silk scrunchie that way it doesnt dry my ends. I have given up using ouchless bands regularly but when I do occasionally decide to use them I tuck with a long roller pin or Good Day Hair Pin. I want to try terry cloth ponytail holders. They look like a happy medium that doesnt snag/dry like the silk scrunches and still give the firmer hold of an ouchless band.

abcd09, thx for the reply. I suggest attempting a sock but instead of covering it with a sock, cover it with satin. Secure it with the good day hair pins that I mention in my blog. I use Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer for my moisturizer and I rarely seal these days because the moisturizer contains oils. Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks. I'm not too fond of the hair stick, and I can never get a secure bun with a pin. Does anyone find that the plastic hair holders, like the clippies, break off hair?

Every once in a while I'm able to use a hairstick without feeling like there's a couple of hairs pulling, but that doesn't last long and I have to take the hairstick out. I really want to wear these so I'm going to keep practicing. But I don't use plastic claw clippies because I know they're damaging.

Over the years, one thing that I'm noticing is that my ends don't do well being wound (my everyday bun is braided and wound around the base of the braid), so it's been pretty challenging trying to make sure that the curl on the ends of my hair (made from bun) isn't tight.

I've heard of some people developing the dreaded Wu thanks to claw/octopus clips (is that what you're talking about?) but I think if you just make sure that it's a seamless clip with no rough edges and remember to shift your bun around every few days, it should be okay.

I have this SAME problem! I have to wear my hair up everyday to work (military), and I after almost 3 years I only JUST mastered my donut buns in a way that doesn't take me forever to make look nice, lol (I'm not much of a styler...I suck!), BUT my lingering problem I've noticed has been my ends. I feel like everyday when I go to take my hair down from my buns, they are dry and raggedy, and I'm like WTF!!! The rest of my hair is still moisturized and silky feeling, so it confuses me. I've experimented with using pins instead of just scrunchies to keep my ends in place, and this seems to work better. It is a work in progress, but I'm afraid I may just have to wear a different type of updo, because I think it's something about donut buns in general that kill my ends. Sucks, because this is the most "liked" hairstyle for us females to have, and wearing it is seemingly abuse to my ends. :(

I've heard of some people developing the dreaded Wu thanks to claw/octopus clips (is that what you're talking about?) but I think if you just make sure that it's a seamless clip with no rough edges and remember to shift your bun around every few days, it should be okay.
A long time ago I believe claw clips gave me this shape, so I stay far, far away from those now. I've just pin using a hair tie and then pinning the middle of the hair, using a pin as a hair stick and then tucking the ends into my other hair. I think im just hair unlucky lol. I'm trying something else, and so far its not working too well.

Back