buns, rollersets & braid-outs only way?

in_di_vi_du_al

Ive been wondering around old & new threads on here, and Ive noticed a lot of women say "I got the most growth with braids" I personally find that to be true with myself as well. But! My hair is becoming so healthy, beautiful, and versitile and I REALLY dont want to get braids again- I can barely wait to wash it! lol.. Are braid-outs, buns, rollersets thee ONLY way to get mega length and retain it? :ohwell: I usually perfer a wrap (air dried, and flat ironed. It lasts a week or two) over all that :ohwell: COMMENTS PLEASE!

Well in order to retain length you have to keep your ends from breaking off. If you can do that even though you flat iron and wrap then do it. If your ends are breaking off from the heat usage or the manipulation that wrapping requires, then it's probably better to find another hairstyle.

Do whatever works for you. I jsut fidn that updos such as buns and braids help the most because even though we think roller-sets are low manipulation, we expose our hair to a lot of damage when we wear it down, especially when it's shorter. Just test it out and see how it goes

Are you opposed to wearing 1/2 wigs? I liked them when my hair was out.

1/2 wigs helped me for a long time until I was just too tired of dealing with my hair any more. I retained a lot of growth that way and was able to change up hair styles a lot.

For the past few months I've been wearing braids. I wash my hair all the time, but I know how it is when you don't want to wear braids anymore.

ETA: Some people are able to do it without braids and such. Some use a lot of heat and they're ok. Also, some use different products on their hair as time goes on (i.e. Sabino Moisture Block) if they want to wear it straight.

I agree w/ MSA... if you're finding that your not retaining length b/c of heat or wrapping you should try other styles, there are so many variations of buns, braidouts and rollersets that you can do if your issue is redundancy.

When I first joined this forum, i had been flatironing my hair every week and touching up with the iron whenever i thought i needed to. So i called myself making "changes" and started DCing once a week followed by flatironing, with no touch ups. I really didnt see the changes and growth i was looking for. It was only when i limited my flatironing to once a month and started wearing protective styles that i began to see progress. I could've been APL by now!

Buns, rollersets, braids and braid outs are the FASTEST way to retain HEALTHY LENGTH in my opinion.

I know if I didn't use heat as often as I used to I probably could be 3-4 inches longer by now. I know heat also thins my hair out and I don't want long thin hair so I prefer to not use heat more than once a month now. (If that) It's taken me 18 months to come to this realization, but now i'm done cheating myself out of inches.

You'll be surprised how much you grow to love rollersets when you see how much healthy and moist your hair feels over time.

Back