Bunning and natural hair

Harina

Ok, so I've finally figured out how to do a proper bun with waves. Wet hair, leave-in, gel, boar bristle, and scarf. My question is do you personally only brush the top and sides of the hair that is showing, or do you brush all your hair with the boar bristle brush. Makes sense?

After sing the detangling comb, I prefer to use the denman (to make sure it is REALLY untangled). If I use the boar bristle brush at all (don't use it often) it is at this point. I only do it over the tops and the sides.

BB

i brush it all with my denman brush while its wet. if I dont, the unbrushed part will seem matted or tangled whenever it dries or when I take my bun down.

I brush with the denman, so I never really need to use "regular" brush. I will use one if I'm wearing the same bun for another day. When I do that, I just spray the top and sides with water, apply a little more gel and brush only that part with a boar bristle brush.

I only brush the top and sides after it is bunned -- once before I scarf and once in the morning after it has airdried and I take off my scarf. I don't need to do it in the morning, but I do it anyway. I just like the way it feels...Every once in a while I will use some Aubrey Organic gingko and ginseng moisturizing jelly, but I mostly don't use gels.

ETA: I use a boar bristle brush.

Last edited:
I brush with the denman, so I never really need to use "regular" brush. I will use one if I'm wearing the same bun for another day. When I do that, I just spray the top and sides with water, apply a little more gel and brush only that part with a boar bristle brush.

+1 minus the gel!

I brush all of it the first day.
if i'm wearing a bun like 2-4 days in a row, i'll just smooth with my hands the rest of the days, wet, moisturize smooth and tie w/ a scarf.

I use a boar brush on the sides and top after conditioner washing because I have pesky strands that try to stick up :ohwell:. The following days, I just wet, apply moisturizer and smoothe with my hands. No need for a brush after the first day because it lays "just right" on day 2 and even better with each passing day. :yep:

Thanks for the responses, everyone. But I can't help but noticing that many of you are 4a or 3b/3c. Any 4bs? I think my hair is mostly 4b. I've always wondered why I could never get my hair in a bun to look like nik star or qurlyqt. I definitely do have a curl pattern but do you think that my hair could ever get that deep wave pattern from brushing because it's not the right texture. Also, when I said I finally learned how to do a wavy bun, I meant in theory. I'm still in braids as of now and will be trying this new bun during the weekend.

ETA: That's a god awful pic but I think you can see the curl pattern.

Last edited:
I struggle with pulling my hair back in a bun, I don't know why, but it is so hard for me. Any type 4 have a fotki or youtube video?

Thanks for the responses, everyone. But I can't help but noticing that many of you are 4a or 3b/3c. Any 4bs? I think my hair is mostly 4b. I've always wondered why I could never get my hair in a bun to look like nik star or qurlyqt. I definitely do have a curl pattern but do you think that my hair could ever get that deep wave pattern from brushing because it's not the right texture. Also, when I said I finally learned how to do a wavy bun, I meant in theory. I'm still in braids as of now and will be trying this new bun during the weekend.

I'm mostly 4b with really thick hair and I can't get my hair in a bun comfortably. Waves really depend on your texture. For me, no amount of gel or brushing will bring waves to my hair.

Oh, i can get my hair in a bun. I just never was able to get it into a wavy one. Oh, well. I'll try this weekend but if not, then no biggie.

We do have different textures, but I will say, using the Denman is what has made my waves look so uniform.

I use a boar brush on the sides and top after conditioner washing because I have pesky strands that try to stick up :ohwell:. The following days, I just wet, apply moisturizer and smoothe with my hands. No need for a brush after the first day because it lays "just right" on day 2 and even better with each passing day. :yep:

OT: :shocked: I just went to your FOTKI, devouring every pic with a fine-tooth comb :detective:. O-M-G :lovedrool:.....I just about passed out :)thud:) bc I think your hair is basically P-E-R-F-E-C-T:worship2:. LAWD.

:look:Apologies to OP for hijacking thread:lachen:

OT: :shocked: I just went to your FOTKI, devouring every pic with a fine-tooth comb :detective:. O-M-G :lovedrool:.....I just about passed out :)thud:) bc I think your hair is basically P-E-R-F-E-C-T:worship2:. LAWD.

:look:Apologies to OP for hijacking thread:lachen:

Girl, you are MUCH too kind! But thanks so much!

OP - I think I have better waves when I use NO brush. The boar and Denman actually disturb my natural curl pattern. The key for me is to make sure my hair is going in the direction of the ponytail or puff while I'm in the shower. Therefore when I get out and smoothe the moisturizer on, I don't have to disrup the direction that my hair is already going. Oh yes, and applying moisturizer is a MUST before I use gel.

I first smooth my hair with my hands then I use the boar brush to smooth the rest of my hair into a pony.

I brush with my denman was wet (gives the best waves) - I aslo use the the boar bristle on top and sides only - for more definition. Then my scarf does the rest. I usually do mine at night and in the morning I have the best waves.

Ok, so I've finally figured out how to do a proper bun with waves. Wet hair, leave-in, gel, boar bristle, and scarf. My question is do you personally only brush the top and sides of the hair that is showing, or do you brush all your hair with the boar bristle brush. Makes sense?

I have to brush all of it in order to get it to lay down flat. I don't do the scarf thing though.

What about the 4bs? How dyou you guys get your buns done? I can't do a wet bun because my hair shrinks into a little fro and I have to do too much pulling to get it back into one. The only way I've been able to do it is after I blowout my hair. I havent tried gel yet.

If I am wet bunning, I detangle with my fingers under the shower head, and I use the denman to make sure the ends are fully detangled (to avoid knots and such after my hair has dried-I don't do this all the time, it really depends on the style I'm washing out of). I apply my leave-in and oils and braid my hair in a single braid at the nape right ther in the shower (not tight though). I use a bit of aloe vera gel for th eedges only, and use my boar brush to smooth (only if I find I need to....most of the time I can smooth with my hands...this really depends on if I've changed my part).

On subsequent days, I just spray the edges with water and brush lightly.

I don't think I'm a 4b, but my edges rarely get smooth or "lay down" with gel. I have to use a pomade , specifically Hairveda's Almond Glaze. Nothing has made my hair lay down like that.

Back