Bun for Growth Challenge

I'm definitely in. I will be bunning at least 5 days per week because that's what I normally do. I co-wash every 2-3 days, wash once a week, and I usually do a twisted bun afterwards. I have been using some aussie conditioner, and I just bought some freeman's sea kelp for $1 that I'll be using. I also use Giovanni Direct leave in and use aloe vera gel to lay down the edges.

I have wanted to bun since starting here my hair is not long enough. Once I get the length I will join you all!

I had to stop bunning because I noticed the back of my head is getting sore/tender. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I alternate wearing a high and low bun. I cant do side buns on the left and right because my hair is not long enough.

What gives? :wallbash:

I've gone a week without bunning and my scalp is still tender. :nono: Maybe I'm not ready for bunning :sad:

I will be wearing buns at least 4times a week. I am going to wear a roller set the other three days.

I like Elasta QP's Mango Butter and Recovery Oil Moisterizer and will be using them on my bun days. I like a sleek looking bun and the mango butter keeps the edges and fly aways at bay.

The picture in my siggy is my starting point. I'll check in 3 months with an update.

HHG

I've been doing this bun challenge since the beginning and im afraid im going to have to quit the challenge.

My hair hasn't been acting right, it feels dry and im getting too much shrinkage that it's making my hair difficult to deal with.
At first i thought maybe it was because i had arrived in a new country and the weather here is really cold but now im starting to think that bunning my hair isn't right for me.

Im gonna go back to wearing other protective styles like twists, extentions and cornrows.

Thank you guys and good luck.

I have enough hair to ponytail now when wet without looking really bad. I am looking for human hair pieces to make buns out of now. I will join the bun challenge as soon as they show up in the mail. I could bun during the day and plait at night. Not a problem.

Dayum...I missed the deadline. Well I bun everyday anyway so I will be joining the challenge in spirit.

I've been doing this bun challenge since the beginning and im afraid im going to have to quit the challenge.

My hair hasn't been acting right, it feels dry and im getting too much shrinkage that it's making my hair difficult to deal with.
At first i thought maybe it was because i had arrived in a new country and the weather here is really cold but now im starting to think that bunning my hair isn't right for me.

Im gonna go back to wearing other protective styles like twists, extentions and cornrows.

Thank you guys and good luck.

ahh sorry you had to go, hope you find something that works

I had to stop bunning because I noticed the back of my head is getting sore/tender. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I alternate wearing a high and low bun. I cant do side buns on the left and right because my hair is not long enough.

What gives? :wallbash:

I've gone a week without bunning and my scalp is still tender. :nono: Maybe I'm not ready for bunning :sad:

I started bunning years ago. I used to find that I had soreness in scalp. I started making sure the ponytail wasn't too tight. Especially if you're bunning on wet hair because remember the wet hair is stretched and it shrinks as it drys. Also, at night I moisturize and seal, put in a very loose ponytail (relieving the tension) and wrap my silk scarf around to hold down my edges. In the morning, I just regather the hair and make the ponytail a little tighter. HTH

I will stop adding people by Dec. 31, 2008. I will go through the thread to see who I missed, but by Dec. I will stop adding people. For those who joined in Oct. Your year will end in Oct. 09 and for those who joined in nov. dec... your year will end then...So if you don't see your name.PM me no later than Dec. 31, this is when the challenge will official close. Don't forget to post your starting pics.. Jan. Will be an update on our progress and I will add a thread there.HHG

AWW MAN!!!! I've decided to start bunning my hair, and I was doing searches for buns, but the search feature wasn't working!!!!!! NO FAIR!! NO FAIR!!! :nono: :sad:

That's okay. I'll just keep up with what ya'll are talking about anyway. To be honest, I probably won't last for a full year anyway!!! :lachen:

I will be bunning 5 days a week. I will put my hair into a braided bun while wet, and redoing the bun each day until I wash again.

bun.jpg

I would like to join but I found this challenge to late. :perplexed But I'm still going to do the challenge anyway regardless if I'm on the list or not.:grin:

Last edited:
I am still in my bun 7 days a week..i cnat wait to touch up to see my results..but i can tell aready that my hair is doing really well

Ladies I'm back on board with the Buns. I've been bunning since around Dec 14th so I really only stopped wearing my bun about a weeks time. I also changed my reggie. Instead of cowashing daily I shampoo weekly and moisturize most nights right before bed. The change has left me the time that I was losing being so busy (the reason I briefly stopped with bunning)

I'm still doing pretty well. I did a retry of a half up (up in the back held with a claw clip) with big wavy side bangs and it's pretty cute.

I still love bunning. But ask me again in three weeks and I might be mad.

I missed the challenge deadline as I only joined last week.. But I'm still going to try it as I'm really focused on trying to get my hair as healthy as possible and thus grow as long as it can :) - I've used a donut bun for the past couple of years and I'm concerned b/c it seemed like my ends were a mess - especially if i put my hair back wet - they would get dry and tangled. Now I was not moisturizing my ends or anything so i'm sure thats it.. But for those who are experiencing a lot of success growing your hair with buns.. I have a few questions:

Does the donut bun harm your ends?
What's the safest way to tuck your ends under a donut bun/form or even a sock w/o damaging your ends?
What are the safest bobby pins, hair pins,etc. to use. My hair is neck length/ layered and although i certainly envy those of you who have waist length hair - I do not have the length to twist my hair to the ends and bun it without some sort of donut/form. :):)

TIA .. ladies.

Back