Broccoli seed oil

I ordered a 4oz of Broccoli Seed Oil and a 1oz of GoW Majik Lockes "Apple Blossom" Hair Serum from Garden of Wisdom. I hope to have it soon, since they're in AZ.
Thanks @Coffee
Can you come back and give a review when you receive it? Was their shipping high? And did they ship within 1 - 5 days?

Okay leiah spill the beans.

Where did you get yours and how much did you pay for it? How are you using it?

I was sold on it when I read this description. I'm thinking about just getting an 8 oz. size now.

Absorbs Quickly
Non-Greasy Texture
Highly Moisturizing
Imparts Sheen and Luster Comparable to Silicone
Pompous Blue I have a 4 oz bottle from from nature with love.. don't remember how much I paid.
I use it as a leave in alone or mixed with other oils, and to seal
I never straighten or blowdry my hair so maybe that has something to do with it. I just don't find it any different from any other oil

leiah Thank you for the review.

I order from fromnaturewithlove.com when I can't find products anywhere else. FNWL prices are higher than other vendors but they do have good sales.

I'm happy this oil can be used to seal, too.

What amounts are y'all using in your products?
@FearlessNik
I haven't purchased it, yet. But I plan on using it to flat-iron and in a butter mix with Nilotica shea, regular shea. I'm going back and forth with if I will order 8 oz. or 16 oz. I want this to last me for a year since the shelf-life is a year.

Also, I plan to add it to conditioners and maybe shampoo (probably start out with about a tsp or two per 8oz).

leiah says she uses it to seal with and I plan to do that also.

it smells like a fart but DANG it's some good stuff!!! i got a bottle dirt cheap from a lady liquidating her stash and she was loathe to part with it but glad that it was going to a good home.

it does leave my hair feeling great. now the scent....:ohwell:

How are you using the oil? Pre poo, sealant, in your DC? I have some but i stopped using it because it never seemed to make a difference for me.
it smells like a fart but DANG it's some good stuff!!! i got a bottle dirt cheap from a lady liquidating her stash and she was loathe to part with it but glad that it was going to a good home.

it does leave my hair feeling great. now the scent....:ohwell:

How are you using the oil? Pre poo, sealant, in your DC? I have some but i stopped using it because it never seemed to make a difference for me.

leave in! that stuff is tooooo expensive to be rinsing out. i use a quarter size puddle and rub it throughout my hair.

@Kurlee I signed up, too.

Through further research I found this FDA warning letter sent to them 9/20/11.
Botanic Oil Innovations, Inc. 9/20/11 Warning Letter

I also see where they once sold this oil in 2009 for $240/gal. It’s now $60/gallon.

Hmmmm. The search continues.
i read the letters and it seems that the FDA was going after them for something ingestible and the claims they made about it helping with certain conditions (medical claims).

I think I'll pass on this. I find myself heavy handed on the oils. I'd be super mad if I ran out in 6 months. I did just splurge on some emu oil that I got a good deal on from EBay. Ladies please don't mind the smell of the products. I'm on a HHJ and I'm constantly smelling like Ben Gay and old ladies (using Eucalyptus, Rosemary, Tea Tree, and Peppermint oils).

Thanks @Coffee
Can you come back and give a review when you receive it? Was their shipping high? And did they ship within 1 - 5 days?

PB, sure I'll do a review. Shipping was really reasonable, mine will be sent 1st class for about $3.95, that was for 5oz. They ship within 4 days.

I found it good, you need just a tiny bit and it gives shine. Mine didn't smell and it was dark orange, maybe it was refined.

It's an ingredient in Oyin Burnt Sugar pomade.

I found it good, you need just a tiny bit and it gives shine. Mine didn't smell and it was dark orange, maybe it was refined.

It's an ingredient in Oyin Burnt Sugar pomade.
Curlykale Thanks for the review. I knew I had seen it in a product before. Maybe that's why I like Oyin's BSP.

Where did you get yours? I hope to order mine by the end of the week.

@Curlykale Thanks for the review. I knew I had seen it in a product before. Maybe that's why I like Oyin's BSP.

Where did you get yours? I hope to order mine by the end of the week.

That is a very difficult question, so sorry that I can't answer: I bought a small bottle 3 years ago from a vendor on ebay (in Europe) and I wish I had kept the name or at least my ebay profile name. I haven't repurchased it ever since, because I have always wanted to try new ones :lol: but I'm definitely going back to it. Some soap making supplies and herbalists should have it, although I remember that it was expensive.
Maybe broccoli is like argan to me: I can live without it, but having a small bottle around doesn't feel bad at all. lol

Kurlee
Did you ever buy the broccoli seed oil? I did. Bought it from ingredientstodiefor.com ($37.78 for 32 oz.)

Received it two weeks ago and didn't flat iron my hair. I'm going to use it on the length and ends after I twist or braid.

It sure does smell, though. It smells like fresh broccoli that's about to go bad. I hope the scent dissipates after it's on the hair for a short while.

Thanks @Coffee

I didn't have a good experience with the Garden of Wisdom. After numerous emails and delays I received the Broccoli oil in 2 weeks and she's in AZ. She apologized for dropping the ball and refunded my payment. I do however, like the oil and the great shine it gives. I'm not overly sensitive to smells, so there isn't a bad smell as far as I'm concerned.

I just ordered this it came today it doesn't smell to me at all I opened up the bottle expecting the fart smell but nothing.....a bit disappointed jk

I'll update on how it works in my hair

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I use it as is to seal.

Thanks, @snoop!

Can I ask a few questions?
  • Do you apply section by section? Do you: (1) Praying hands method it on? (2) Finger comb it in? (3) Brush it through?
  • Where do you purchase it?
  • How much do you buy?
  • About how long do you think 8 ounces would last you?
  • Do you get the refined or unrefined version?
  • Do you think I could add a peaches and cream scent to it to try to mask the scent, or does that sound like a big no-no. :lol:
Thanks for any tips you might have.

Thanks, @snoop!

Can I ask a few questions?
  • Do you apply section by section? Do you: (1) Praying hands method it on? (2) Finger comb it in? (3) Brush it through?
  • Where do you purchase it?
  • How much do you buy?
  • About how long do you think 8 ounces would last you?
  • Do you get the refined or unrefined version?
  • Do you think I could add a peaches and cream scent to it to try to mask the scent, or does that sound like a big no-no. :lol:
Thanks for any tips you might have.

• I basically apply it in three sections: left side, right side, and back.
  • I drag it along the length of my hair. Not praying hands. I just grab a handful and seal the length. My hair is almost always in twists so it's easy to do, but if my hair is loose it's the same steps. I should add that I concentrate on the ends.
  • I purchased it from New Directions Aromatics. The first time, I purchased a small bottle (100ml I think). I used it sparingly. This time I purchased 473ml (16 oz).
  • I assume it is unrefined.
  • I don't think it smells that bad. I think the smell goes away quickly.
I just use it the same way I use any other oil I seal with.

Back