breakage...

phynestone

I currently have braids and had my edges redone. However, when I took out my braids, my hair seemed a little shorter and I do not know what I am doing wrong. I apply a leave-in conditioner (Infusium 23) every day to my hair in the braids and I wrap it up every night and sleep on a silk pilllowcase. My braids don't feel tight so I don't know what I am doing wrong. I thought it may have been b/c my hair was still kind of pressed when I had my braids done (it was reverting but still kind of straight) so maybe that could have been the problem. I exercise, eat right and drink a reasonable amount of water along with taking vitamins. Help!

[ QUOTE ]
It might be the Infusium. I never used it on my natural hair, but it made my relaxed hair feel fairly stiff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am agreeing with Sassy. I stopped using the Infusium because it makes the hair hard. It has protein in it, I believe. So even though it is supposed to make the hair stronger, regular use I think makes the hair brittle. Maybe you can try mixing a moisturizing conditioner with distilled water and using that as a leave in?

I agree that it may be the infusium, when I was relaxed, and even now it makes my hair dry instead of moisturized.

My suggestions would be to try either a braid spray, scurl, or worlds of curls gel on damp braids.

I agree to!
Try only using the Infusium once a week. Moisturize your braids daily
with a braid spray. Saturate the braids periodically so that the moisture seeps through
the synthetic hair and gets to your real hair.

You didn't say what style of braids you have, but if they are too heavy, this could
be a problem too. It should be done with a larger sections and a smaller amount
of synthetic hair.

A light press before braids shouldn't necessarily take your hair out unless your
hair was scorched.

I agree, you need a braid spray or some kind of moisturizing spray. When I wear braids I make sure I spray mine 3-4 times a week.

Yep, it may be the infusium. Don't get me wrong it's good stuff, but I have to use it sparingly on my natural hair.

[ QUOTE ]
However, when I took out my braids, my hair seemed a little shorter and I do not know what I am doing wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this just a case of perception? In other words it "appears" shorter only because it isn't pressed, or are you saying it is indeed shorter than you remember because even when you stretch it up it doesn't get to the length it was before the braids? In which case I would chorus with everyone that it's the Infusium.

Another thing, hair may not grow at the rate we expect it to and we can be a little more critical of it and impatient than we realize. Incidentally, before you had the hairline braids redone, did they feel loose at the bases? Sometimes (especially with human hair extensions and soft straight hair) the piece may slide up your hair away from the base and make it look like your hair grew lots when it didn't make such leaps but just kinda crawled. However, majority of the time, loosening at the base means your hair is really growing as new hair is born at the roots and thus pushes the starting point of your braid away from your scalp. So if you're seeing (or can touch and feel) that extra hair below your braid, then your hair IS indeed growing. But it may be breaking at the same rate it's growing. In that case, as has been said, the protein in Infusium, may be making it hard and hence brittle (think of uncooked spaghetti). You do need protein for strengthening but you also need a moisturizer that softens and makes your hair supple and flexible (think of cooked spaghetti). It's a balance that sorta takes trial and error to nail. By trying a few of the things people on here do, and not necessarily giving up Infusium altogether but using it less frequently, you should be able to find the best program for your hair. Once you learn how to preserve the hair you currently have, you will start to see the length you so dearly seek.

Best wishes...

When I had cornrows a few weeeks ago, I used the Aphogee Leave-In quite often, more than once a week. It, too hardened my hair, and I will try to use something else next time.
I do think your hair appears shorter just after taking out braids, due to shrinkage factor. When you've gone a while without a touch up, it appears shorter as well. And braid crinkle up the hair which shortens the length. Natural sistahs' hair always appears shorter than it is due to this factor. As long as your hair isn't split or breaking, you should be okay.

I was thinking that too, Melodee, but if she can stretch it and measure it, then she'd know (and be able to compare later to see) if it was just shrinking (curling up) or really breaking. I'm assuming that the bonds broken during perming/relaxing are the same ones broken during pressing only more permanent in the former. That being the case, then I would imagine that if you stretch natural hair you can sorta have an idea how long it would appear pressed or relaxed. Folks, correct me if I'm wrong in my reasoning.
wink.gif

Yes, I did wash my hair while it was still braided. I have human hair braids and when I woke up, I would wet my hair, then apply the Infusium to it and leave it like that. I guess I should go back to using Daily Doctor b/c it worked pretty well, but I just wanted to see if the Infusium worked just as well.

Back