Breakage PLEASE HELP!!!!

testimony777

This is long and a bit of a rant, I am just so frustrated and need to vent. Any advice or encouragement you ladies have would be great.

I am so frustrated with my hair right now I am considering chopping it off and starting over. My hair is completely natural, I use great products, I keep it moisturized, I use protein in moderation and I handle it like it is fine silk but no matter what I do I still have breakage.

I have had breakage all my life and I used to not care because my hair has pretty much always been relatively long and thick so breakage never really impacted the look of my hair (and still doesn't). The reason it is bothering me now is because for the last two years I have been taking such great care of my hair and I thought that would make a difference. When i learned the proper way to care for my hair I cut all of the damaged hair off and started growing my hair applying the tips and techniques I had learned about caring for and handling natural hair.
I was certain that I would finally be break free...not; I have the same problem. Over the course of these past two years I have cut off two inches of my hair on two occasions thinking that maybe that would finally end my breakage problem and it does for about three months and then as soon as my hair grows back the breakage starts again.

The rest of my hair is in great condition. I have good elasticity, I pass the strand test every time, it has a healthy shine, all the marks of healthy hair, but it seems like no matter what I do at a certain length it becomes impossible for me to keep my ends (specifically the last inch and a half of my length) healthy. The last time I washed my hair I counted 70 broken hairs...70!

I remember reading on another site that for some to grow their hair out past a certain length they have to keep their hair in protective styles most of the time. If this is what I have to do to get to my goal with no breakage I will not get there because I cannot take protective styles for too long. I wear my hair up a lot, but I would loose my mind if I had to wear it up all the time. But honestly I don't think protective styling would do it either because even when I wear my hair down there is very little manipulation that goes into my styling. In fact, I manipulate my hair less when I wear it down than I do when I wear it in a bun or in braids. I just don't get it; how can you do all the right things and not get the right results.

First off, your hair is lovely!:)

Are you sure it's breakage and not shedding? Are the hairs short or longer with a tiny "bulb" on the end?

Do you use a seamless comb? That can really help stop the hairs from snagging and breaking.

I've noticed that the last few inches of my hair can become very "crunchy" if not constantly moisturized. What kind of leave in do you use? Nexxus Luxxtress is very good for ends. I spritz a little on every day and then add just a dab of oil or butter.

I first wanted to start off by saying that your hair is BEAUTIFUL!

In regards to breakage... don't worry about it. It sounds like you are doing the right thing by keeping it moisturized. Some of those 70 hairs could have been shedding. Shedded hairs are usually longer than broken hairs. Also remember that the ends of your hair are the oldest parts of your hair. As long as your hair isn't breaking off a whole lot each day, don't worry. Breakage is going to happen no matter what you do with your hair.

Last edited:
Thanks ladies for the compliments and for the advice.

Camellia your hair is so beautiful, I admire your length. As for my hair, it is definitely breakage. The broken hairs are short and I don't see or feel bulbs at the end. I have been misting with a mixture of water and conditioner and using oil everyday as well but I still have the problem. Oh and the leave in conditioner I use is Jessicurl Aloeba. Would you mind posting the ingredients of the Nexus spray you use?

Poohbear, I love your avatar pic; gorgeous hair! Thanks for the encouragement. I hope you are right about this not being that big of a deal.

Thank you, sweetie! :)

The ingredients in the Luxxtress are :

Water (Aqua), Panthenol, Cetyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Quinoa (Chenopodium Quinoa) Protein, Indian Vanilla Extract, Alfalfa (Medicago Sativa) Extract, Clover (Trifolium Pratense) Extract, Dog Rose (Rosa Canina) Hips Extract, Camellia Oleifera Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Stearalkonium Chloride, PEG-75 Lanolin, Stearyl Alcohol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Cetrimonium Bromide, Magnesium Citrate, Glycerin, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Dimethicone, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aromatherapy Fragrance (Parfum) with Essential Oils of: Ylang Ylang (Cananga Odorata), Patchouli (Pogostemon Cablin), Lemongrass (Cymbogogon Schoenanthus)

It has a strong, woodsy kind of smell. My husband actually really likes the scent but if I use too much the smell gives me a headache.

Girl, your hair is gorgeous...excuse me while a I have my moment of hair envy....:look:

Ok, what do you do to your ends? I don't know if I'm the best person to give you advice but I've been going through my issues with breakage to since I chopped last year. But my ends have definitely improved. The coconut oil has helped (when I've been consistent) as a prepoo (warmed) or mixed in with my deep conditioners & regular conditioners. Also like camellia, I've started putting a little conditioner w/oil on my ends every night.

What also has helped me (figured this out a couple of weeks ago) is silicone.
I tried to do the no-poo thing with conditioners that didn't have silicone but I've discovered that I need them and my hair loves them. I experienced much less shedding and breakage. The only thing is that I do have to shampoo everyweek and immediately do a deep condition/protein afterwards. I just cut 1/2 to 1 inch off....which actually wasn't too bad because there have been times I have had to cut 2 and 3 inches. So I'm gonna try this regimen consistantly and see what happens.

I agree with everyone else's advice too. When you find what works for you, update please!

Thanks nurseN98, I checked out your album and you certainly have no reason to envy anyone's hair!

I am on the CG routine so I do not use shampoo and cannot use silicone. I know a lot of people are not able to tolerate that routine but my hair loves it. As far as my ends go, I am very careful with them; I keep them moisturized with a water conditioner mix I make and oil. I also tie my hair up at night with a satin scarf. I only detangle my hair in the shower when it is wet and loaded with conditioner.

I will certainly post if I find a solution. I think I am going to try upping the moisturizing, maybe misting twice a day rather than once a day. Thanks for the advice :)

Hi. I noticed in your avatar that your hair is shoulder length. If your hair is brushing your shoulders then the combination of friction and the fabric sucking the moisture out of your hair will cause breakage.

Is it mostly the sides that are breaking? (I couldn't see the back.) If your back is the same length and brushing your shoulders then you need to keep the ends up (off your shoulders). Same is true for your sides.

BTW: beautiful hair!!

*Bump*

Testimony, I was wondering if you had found any resolution to this problem, and what you decided to do differenty, if anything? I can relate to this big time.... I seem to be doing everything right, but i still get little pieces of hair that break off when i put my hands in my hair. Its really frustrating. :perplexed Contemplating the Aphogee treatment, but not sure if i want/need anything THAT strong.

I was actually thinking about posting an update to this thread a couple of days ago.

I did find a solution. I took Isis' advice and started moisturizing my hair twice a day as opposed to once and it has made a tremendous difference. I also took Camellia's and NurseN98's advice and started using both conditioner and oil on my ends. I mist my ends at night and in the morning, apply my leave in and a small bit of oil and detangle if needed.

I also tried using a damp warm towel for my DT's instead of just a plastic cap and it has made a huge difference in how my deep conditioner works for my hair.

To sum it all up it turned out that my problem was lack of moisture. Thanks again ladies for all the great tips. I love this site!

Back