Breakage in the back!!!!

BrwnSugaBabee

This is not the first time either! My hair either grows faster on the sides or it just breaks in the back. I'm starting to think the latter. I felt my hair in the back and it feels kinda hard? It's also starting to tangle more. It almost feels like a different texture than the rest of my hair. What's up with that?

I treat it exactly the same way I treat the rest of my hair (I think). I don't sleep on it? What could this be? And how can I fix it? I looked in the mirror and it seems like that section is almost 1/4 inch shorter than the rest?? PLEASE HELP!!!

BrwnSugaBabee said:
This is not the first time either! My hair either grows faster on the sides or it just breaks in the back. I'm starting to think the latter. I felt my hair in the back and it feels kinda hard? It's also starting to tangle more. It almost feels like a different texture than the rest of my hair. What's up with that?

I treat it exactly the same way I treat the rest of my hair (I think). I don't sleep on it? What could this be? And how can I fix it? I looked in the mirror and it seems like that section is almost 1/4 inch shorter than the rest?? PLEASE HELP!!!

What do you use to moisturize? Do you think you poo/concombo is moisturizing enough? You ever had a protein treatment?

Are you wearing protective styles? My mom's hair does the same thing because she refuses to wear her hair protected and never moisturizes it. The hair in the back is so frizzy and tangled that it almost looks like she never relaxed it in her life. Its also filled with splits and damage. She doesnt moisturize it unless she's deep conditioning which is only once per week...she needs more than just a weekly moisture treatment!:(

I moisturize with elasta qp recovery oil...I use mane n tail shamp and just recently starting using their deep conditioner (reg shamp). I did notice that after I washed my hair their seemed to still be some product in the back?? But I washed directly under the shower head so the back should have rinsed completely out? Of course once I noticed the shamp/cond in the back ...I got back in for another rinse. The hair still feels weird though..as far as protein..I thought mane n tail had that..I used aphogee once and it broke a lot of my hair off.:perplexed

lexi84 said:
Are you wearing protective styles? My mom's hair does the same thing because she refuses to wear her hair protected and never moisturizes it. The hair in the back is so frizzy and tangled that it almost looks like she never relaxed it in her life. Its also filled with splits and damage. She doesnt moisturize it unless she's deep conditioning which is only once per week...she needs more than just a weekly moisture treatment!:(

I have been wearing braids off and on..think I am gonna just wear them back to back for like six months..My hair retains a lot of length in braids. But I don't think that is going to solve my problem...this seems to be a recurring issue. I am so confused I mean what could I be doing to the back that I am not doing to the rest of my hair?:ohwell:

BrwnSugaBabee said:
I moisturize with elasta qp recovery oil...I use mane n tail shamp and just recently starting using their deep conditioner (reg shamp). I did notice that after I washed my hair their seemed to still be some product in the back?? But I washed directly under the shower head so the back should have rinsed completely out? Of course once I noticed the shamp/cond in the back ...I got back in for another rinse. The hair still feels weird though..as far as protein..I thought mane n tail had that..I used aphogee once and it broke a lot of my hair off.:perplexed

In my opinion you are not getting enougth moisture. As stated in Sista "breakage 101" thread (it's a sticky) oils do not moisturize. Me maybe you need to get something that is not an oil to moisturize. I suggest something like mango butter or Profective ( I have never personally used it but a lot of ppl here get great results). Also MNT poo/con have a lot of protein. Maybe you should go with something more moisture based such as Keracare or Nexxus and alternate with the MNT.

Also do you use a leave-in conditioner? Maybe you should invest in a good one if not.

MizaniMami said:
In my opinion you are not getting enougth moisture. As stated in Sista "breakage 101" thread (it's a sticky) oils do not moisturize. Me maybe you need to get something that is not an oil to moisturize. I suggest something like mango butter or Profective ( I have never personally used it but a lot of ppl here get great results). Also MNT poo/con have a lot of protein. Maybe you should go with something more moisture based such as Keracare or Nexxus and alternate with the MNT.

Also do you use a leave-in conditioner? Maybe you should invest in a good one if not.

..I alternate between elasta qp and mane n tail leave ins. The recovery oil moisturizer is not really an oil ..it more of a cream..but maybe you are right..maybe I should switch moisturizer or at least alternate. But I use that moisturizer on the sides and they are doing really well. I do put my hair up in a pony tail a lot..do you think that may have something to do with it? ** also thinking of alternating shamp and cond.

BrwnSugaBabee said:
..I alternate between elasta qp and mane n tail leave ins. The recovery oil moisturizer is not really an oil ..it more of a cream..but maybe you are right..maybe I should switch moisturizer or at least alternate. But I use that moisturizer on the sides and they are doing really well. I do put my hair up in a pony tail a lot..do you think that may have something to do with it? ** also thinking of alternating shamp and cond.

As long as you are keeping your hair moisturized a ponytail should not be a problem. Try soaking your pony tail holders in oil too. Sista gave me that hint and it really works! It keeps a barrier around the ponytail!

But personally, I think you should find a more moisturizing poo/con/leave-in and alternate with the MNT. I also would find a water based moisturizer to use daily too. I hope that helps! Please keep us updated as well.

Thank you both for the advice! I am going to go "hair" shopping tomorrow. Does anyone know of a good shamp cond combo for natural 4A hair? If this is posted in another thread I'm sorry. For some reason I cannot access the search feature. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

As for a moisturizer I thiink I will try that mango butter;)

Mango Butter is great, but be advised that it contains a considerable amount of protein and like MizaniMami stated, you need more moisture than anything else right now. Other good moisturizers are, ORS Olive Oil(in the jar), NTM silk touch leave-in conditioner, S-curl, Profectiv Break free etc. Good luck on what you decide!:D Cant really tell you the best shampoo and conditioner combo for natural 4a hair, but I can tell you that I love CON Shampoo and Keracare Humecto Conditoner for my relaxed 4b hair.;)

lexi84 said:

lexi is so right about wearing protective styles.

I used to soak my hair in BreakFree and wear it up everyday and I had great progress during that time.

Then I got fast in the tail and wanted to show off my hair.

After a short time, I starting noticing more breakage and I even recall feeling my sweaters and tops snag my hair. A lesson learned!!!

I really have to vouch for NTM. I have the same problem that the OP has: breakage in the back, and the hair there feels very rough, no matter how much I "moisturize". I used the NTM on my nape and was shocked on how smooth, soft and moisturized it was. The stuff is fabulous!! :D

lexi84 said:
Mango Butter is great, but be advised that it contains a considerable amount of protein and like MizaniMami stated, you need more moisture than anything else right now. Other good moisturizers are, ORS Olive Oil(in the jar), NTM silk touch leave-in conditioner, S-curl, Profectiv Break free etc. Good luck on what you decide!:D Cant really tell you the best shampoo and conditioner combo for natural 4a hair, but I can tell you that I love CON Shampoo and Keracare Humecto Conditoner for my relaxed 4b hair.;)

bklynwildheart said:
I really have to vouch for NTM. I have the same problem that the OP has: breakage in the back, and the hair there feels very rough, no matter how much I "moisturize". I used the NTM on my nape and was shocked on how smooth, soft and moisturized it was. The stuff is fabulous!! :D

Hi! Thanks for posting.:) Does NTM stand for anything? How is your breakage coming along now?

BrwnSugaBabee said:
Hi! Thanks for posting.:) Does NTM stand for anything? How is your breakage coming along now?

It stands for neutrogena triple moisture and it is the leave-in that everyone raves about.

It really does make your hair soft and really feel it a little bit later after oyu have applied it or in the morning if you do it before you tie your hair up for the night.

Sorry, NTM= Neutrogena Triple Moisture. ;)

My breakage is a bit better, but my shirt collars aren't helping. I need to figure out a way to keep my nape away from my collar... :scratchch

BrwnSugaBabee said:

I had the same problem. Before I joined this forum, my hair was always soooo dry in the back--I mean dry!!! :(
I really recommend hot oil treatments, ORS (Organic Root Stimulator) Mayo, and NTM (Neutrogena Triple Moisture) Silk Touch leave-in. I used them the last time I washed my hair and it came out sooo soft--even the back.:)

Oh, and I also use kemi oil as a finish--just about a dime-sized amount.

... also check your jewelry. Necklaces can often catch up hair at the nape and break it off. Usually this occurs over time and you barely notice it until your hair is all chewed up!:mad:

sb44 said:
... also check your jewelry. Necklaces can often catch up hair at the nape and break it off. Usually this occurs over time and you barely notice it until your hair is all chewed up!:mad:

My necklace has been catching lil hairs here and there. Never thought too much about it. Aww I love this necklace and wear it everyday (cost me a pretty penny lol). I will just wear it on the weekends *sigh..Thank you!:grin:

chocolatesis said:
I had the same problem. Before I joined this forum, my hair was always soooo dry in the back--I mean dry!!! :(
I really recommend hot oil treatments, ORS (Organic Root Stimulator) Mayo, and NTM (Neutrogena Triple Moisture) Silk Touch leave-in. I used them the last time I washed my hair and it came out sooo soft--even the back.:)

Oh, and I also use kemi oil as a finish--just about a dime-sized amount.

Thank you soo much for your reply! Where can I purchase the NTM? Sally's? I just bought some kera care humecto conditoner and moisturizing detangling shamp. I will use this, and go back to my MNT after summer is over. I also made an appt to get my hair braided this sat. I am going to keep it braided up until aug (rebraiding of course lol). Hopefully I will see some progress in the back. **Keeping fingers crossed. Thanks again! You guys are life savers!:grin:

bklynwildheart said:
Sorry, NTM= Neutrogena Triple Moisture. ;)

My breakage is a bit better, but my shirt collars aren't helping. I need to figure out a way to keep my nape away from my collar... :scratchch

Glad to hear your breakage is getting better! * here i go pushing the braids again. What if you got braids for like two months..then you hair would surpass you collar and would not rub against the ends. Or if you went on a bunning challenge? Or just some cute updo's?

For nape of the neck breakage: Use a drop of glycerin with a little bit of water before you go to bed.

Fill a spray bottle with distilled water about 3/4ths and pour a cap full of glycerin. Shake rigoursly and then spray area. This helps hard to grow areas all over the head.

H2H

tasha said:
For nape of the neck breakage: Use a drop of glycerin with a little bit of water before you go to bed.

Fill a spray bottle with distilled water about 3/4ths and pour a cap full of glycerin. Shake rigoursly and then spray area. This helps hard to grow areas all over the head.

H2H

Thank you for your response. I will look into this!

You can buy the NTM line @ any major drug store, Target (my personal fave!), Walmart, etc. :)

BrwnSugaBabee said:
Thank you soo much for your reply! Where can I purchase the NTM? Sally's? I just bought some kera care humecto conditoner and moisturizing detangling shamp. I will use this, and go back to my MNT after summer is over. I also made an appt to get my hair braided this sat. I am going to keep it braided up until aug (rebraiding of course lol). Hopefully I will see some progress in the back. **Keeping fingers crossed. Thanks again! You guys are life savers!:grin:

tasha said:

H2H

thanks for posting this!

BrwnSugaBabee said:
It probably is a different texture. Most of the women on the board will tell ya about their trials dealing with several different textures in their hair; mine is like a 3b in the frint but with a worn out looking wave, the crown is wirey 4b and definitley shorter and harder to gain length and the middle to nape is 2b silkey well defined curls.
I have had to just accept it and work with each texture as is needed.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my desperate plea for help lol! It is much appreciated.

I have some good news! Last night I was feeling pretty bummed out about my hair...started reading some older posts. I forgot who the poster was..but they said something about using the baggy method for their entire head. Well I did this last night. I sprayed some elasta qp H20 Moisturizer on my hair and braided in three sections. I braided up the back as one section. Two braids on each side of my head ya'll get the picture I was looking like miss Cealy *sp. Anywhoo- I then put on a shower cap and slept the night away. Come this morning I took the braids down ...and my hardened hair felt MUCH BETTER! Don't get me wrong this did not totally fix the problem the hair still tangles and snaps easier than the rest of my hair. But it helped the hair about 75% overnight! So my hair just needed to be DRENCHED in moisture, you were right Mizani! If you are having the same prob as me give this a try!

Back