Breakage in back of head... advice please

tmhuggiebear

Hi girls,

I don't post in the hair section as much as I should but I need some advice.

Sometime around April last year I suffered a set back. There is a spot in the back of my head that has completely broken off. It's about 2 inches in length. Meanwhile the rest of my hair is shoulder or arm pit length. This section makes styling extremely difficult sometimes.

I'm still not completely sure how my hair broke of that badly in the back, but I think it may be because of poor detangling methods. I've since been trying to grow it back but haven't seen any progress. Any advice on what I should do would be appreciated.

A little background to my regimen:
I deep condition my hair every week overnight on Wednesdays. I switch use coconut oil, shescentit moisture mist and moroccan oil after washing. My hair is usually styled in either a wash 'n' go or a I keep it stretched out in a bun. As my hair begins to feel dry, I moisturize my hair with a spray bottle of water and olive oil, and coconut oil and then put it in two strand twists.

I try very hard not to mess with my hair too much hence the reason for wash n' goes and buns. It's always easy to keep my hands out of my hair this way. When I do a wash n'go I usually keep it like that for 2 to 3 days before I have to cowash again when the style gets frizzy.

I also sleep with a bonnet on my head each night.

Can anyone give me some pointers on what I can do to regrow this section of my hair and retain length?

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm dealing with the same issue right now.
It's highly frustrating!

Just some quick questions:

-OP, do you sleep on your back?
-Is this bonnet new? Does it have drawstrings that maybe you tie either up front or in the nape?
-what position are you rinsing your hair? Leaning back like in the shower?

Just some quick questions: -OP, do you sleep on your back? -Is this bonnet new? Does it have drawstrings that maybe you tie either up front or in the nape? -what position are you rinsing your hair? Leaning back like in the shower?

Hi dark joy

I rarely sleep on my back. I'm usually sleeping on my left side. Also, the bonnet has no drawstrings and is far from new. I've had it for a while now.

And I rinse my hair with my head tilted back in the shower.

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm dealing with the same issue right now. It's highly frustrating!

Same here the left back corner of my hair is about one inch while the rest is bsb-Mbl. I don't even know when it happened but one day I felt back there and nothing :look:

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Hi dark joy

I rarely sleep on my back. I'm usually sleeping on my left side. Also, the bonnet has no drawstrings and is far from new. I've had it for a while now.

And I rinse my hair with my head tilted back in the shower.
Maybe it's time to start lifting the hair when you rinse? For me, leaving product on from washing is a breakage problem waiting to happen.

IDK if maybe you rest your head on a pillow or roll-shaped pillow, or keep a towel around your neck when working out, etc. Any of that can be a problem. As an example, I found that at one point, leaning my uncovered head back on the couch was causing breakage on that spot of my hair.

Same here the left back corner of my hair is about one inch while the rest is bsb-Mbl. I don't even know when it happened but one day I felt back there and nothing :look:

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

This is me but it was on the right and now it's spread to the right and the crown. It kinda looks like I am getting male pattern baldness .

I have experienced breakage in the crown area. That area is a totally diferent texture from the rest of my hair. Not only is there breakage but that area shrinks more which makes stying difficult. I found that isolating that section when washing and detangling helps. I even use different products on my crown. I m&s my hair once a day but my crown twice a day. I really have to baby that section but it is working.

That area is doing better and getting longer. I just dont know if it will ever catch up with the rest of my hair unless i do a serious cut.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note 2

Subbing. I have the same problem. My crown is half the length of the rest of my hair. It's very prone to tangles and breakage. I'm going to baby it, keep it moisturize and hope for the best.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using LHCF

OP, where are you placing your buns? If it's over the spot that's broken off, that could be the culprit. Also, are you pulling your buns too tight with a ponytail holder? That could also be causing your problem. I had similar issues about 2 years ago before I learned how to make buns without ponytail holders and switching up my buns (moving them around my head, opting for French braids and French rolls instead of a bun). Then then the breaking area caught up just fine.

Good luck! :yep:

Look for the broken hair, they must be somewhere if it's currently still breaking. Is it breaking while washing, detangling, styling, do you see broken hair on the bed, on the floor, on your hair tools, etc. Just be mindful of where you see little broken hair. It will help you determine where and maybe how it's happening.

Do you wear scarves or bandanas knotted in the back? Do you wear wool coats that rub on your neck and nape?

Back