Breakage from stress! (long)

greenidlady1

Hi,

I had to vent and no one else will understand. I am about to cry -I got my touch up and it had been about five months since my last trim- my goal had been to have ends that could handle a break. Things were going so, so well for me and my hair. I'd acheived bra strap length and my hair was thick and healthy.

Anyway, yesterday I had a ton of new growth, but I had been noticing some breakage, particularly some areas in the back on the bottom of my hair. It is getting dryer because of the colder weather and my hair seemed to snap a little here and there when I had my purse or work book bag on my shoulder, but nothing could had prepared me for yesterday. My hair was breaking everywhere! My stylist flat ironed it before my cut to make sure she wasn't cutting too much, but gave me the mirror and I could see damage myself. I am so sad, and we were at a loss to figure out what the problem was. I am taking vitamins, conditioners, baggie treatment and the whole thing. It was only when I mentioned that I was under a tremendous amount of stress at my job right now that we figured that could be the problem.

She isn't a scissor happy stylist and I think she could feel my pain as much as me. In fact she has been with me for three years, and knows about the crap I have to put up with at work (not going into details, a cold, racist, sexist environment) for years. She has always encouraged me with the things that I have learned from the forum. Anyway I noticed myself how thin my hair was and could see the breakage for myself. So, I left there with two inches of hair on the floor and the only thing I can say is that if I wasn't already at bra strap, I would be even more upset.
When I went out with friends yesterday, everyone thought it looked fine like I'd had a nice cut and I wanted to say "I have two inches of hair on the floor at the salon!"
So, I know this is a long post, but nobody else gets it. I am looking for another job and will be doing the conditioner washes until I feel that my hair can handle more. Stress is the only culprit I can come up with and I know another sister that used to work at the job whose hair was falling out too!
I'll be doing my workout plan again and journaling, but I'm here to tell you that stress can do a number on your hair! I don't even think I can change my signature yet because it will make me sad.
/images/graemlins/cry3.gif
Take care,
G

/images/graemlins/kissing4.gif Don't be stressed. They need YOU, your professionalism, your knowledge that is why they hired you. Consider yourself as A Vital element in your working envir. You will feel better. If you cannot take it any longer just find another job and leave. Try to have a LIFE after work. Have friends, join groups, workout, meditation, prayer.
You may find worse in another working environment but you can improve your moral by NOT LETTING anyone put you down. You can do it. Also try Magnesium/calcium vitamins they are good to combat stress.
Don't worry for your hair. Just some more extra care and it will grow back stronger. WIth the weather changing people are experiencing /dealing with breakage and dryness. Your are not the only one.
/images/graemlins/Rose.gif /images/graemlins/rosebud.gif /images/graemlins/kissing4.gif

Thanks Blackhair, I am certainly taking your advice. It was good to be with my friends yesterday and to try to think about something else. I'm trying to look at this as an unscheduled big chop.
God bless,
G

I'm sorry to hear about this greenidlady1. I'm glad to hear that you're going to take control of your situation though and it's always good to have a great stylist and a wonderful set of friends to help you get over this trying time. Feel better /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

B complex should help keep your hair in tact during times of stress. Even when you're not stressed--take it so that it can be in your system. Stress depletes your levels of B vitamins and thus the hair loss that some experience during stress.

God bless you--it'll turn around. /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

Pray about it and keep putting in applications to get into a better work environment. No occupation is worth your health. I was also going to recommend the B-complex vitamins. I've read many times that stress depletes them which can lead to some hair loss. I'll pray for you as well. Hope you feel better soon!

Supergirl, JenniferMD, Blackhair and A_Christian, thank you so much for the support, suggestions and encouragement! I am going to get some B complex vitamins tomorrow! God doesn't bring you to anything he won't bring you through and I appreciate your prayers!
God bless,
G

Greenidlady1,

I am so sad to hear this. I went through the same thing last year, so I know how you feel. Try not to stress yourself so much, I am sure that things will get better. Like you said God doesn't bring you to anything he wont bring you through. BTW, my pastor spoke on this subject today. Take it easy and believe that this rough time at work is only a stage to prepare you for moving on to the next level God has planned for you. /images/graemlins/phone.gif if you need to talk /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

Thanks Angel! /images/graemlins/wave.gif I appreciate knowing that you've been through this before and come out with a beautiful head of hair!
/images/graemlins/smile.gif Take care,
G

I know how you feel. I use to experience breakage every now and then when I was stress so that's what I take high dosage of vitamin b. I take Naturemade b complex 100.

[ QUOTE ]
Pray about it and keep putting in applications to get into a better work environment. No occupation is worth your health. I was also going to recommend the B-complex vitamins. I've read many times that stress depletes them which can lead to some hair loss. I'll pray for you as well. Hope you feel better soon!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto! Don't worry, Greenidlady! The LHCF sisters are here for you and you will get through this. You are strong; you can do it and we will be praying for you. /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

Ladies,
You are all so wonderful and this support is exactly what I needed! God bless each of you for sending me your thoughts and prayers! I am officially getting my B-complex vitamins tonight after my workout.
Take care,
G

Don't be stressed out it no good for your health. I understand exactly what you're going thru. Exactly one week after my 18th B-day my dad was killed in a car accident. I was devastated and stressed (back then I taught only older people got stressed but I know better now) I went from having bra-strap lenght hair to losing it all and getting it cut into a short tony braxton do in 3 months! So please don't let the stress take a toll on your health. I suggest that you find something to spiritually ground you or allows you to find some sort of peace...perhaps exercise or even meditation. The more stressed you get the more hair your gonna lose and that defeats the purpose of what your trying to accomplish. Good luck.

Alli,
I am so very sorry to hear about your experience. I lost my father six years ago and I empathize with you. Your story lets me know that this can be a common occurance. Luckily, I have a deep spiritual faith, family and friends, because this place is putting it to the test. Sometimes it seems like the deeper your faith is, the deeper the enemy will try to challenge it.
Thank you for your encouragement and I will also keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
Take care,
G /images/graemlins/Rose.gif

Re: Breakage from stress! (long)- UPDATE

Hi,
Thanks to everyone that has been sending postive thoughts my way- hopefully I am on the road to recovery... I have been rocking the B vitamins and the carrot juice, plus I've been on two interviews!! : ). Basically, my plan has been to baby my hair, spend as much time as possible with my friends and saying "no" a lot more. Also, I've been Surging and putting a plastic cap when I get home.

THANK you to everyone for helping me with your suggestions and positive thoughts!!
God Bless,
G

Well it's good to know that you have a strong family base, that will help coping and handling stress a little easier. Be gently with your hair and baby it as you stated and every thing should go okay. Have you considered protective styles, they can help out but avoiding a lot of manipulation to the hair plus they are time saving. Good luck. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greenidlady1,

I truly feel your pain. Stress can have very harmful affects on our hair. I went thru a similar situation a few years ago, and it really showed in my hair. The advice you received from others is really good. I would only add that patience also works wonders. When my hair broke off a few years ago, I just wore it in an updo so I wouldn't be reminded everyday of the state of my hair. Eventually it grew out (all the broken parts too) into nice layers. Finally I cut it blunt this year and started all over. You'll get there before you know it!!!

This might be a good time to give your hair lots of TLC (as you were before), but maybe a phony-pony or something to give it a rest while using your other treatments.

Take care,

SG

Re: Breakage from stress! (long)- Update!

Hi ladies!

THANK YOU all so much for your advice, kind words and thoughts!! Just wanted to report that my touch up last week was MUCH better!! I have been faithful with the B-vitamins, carrots, etc. and de-stressing.

I had a ton of new growth after only 10 weeks and needless to say, I was very anxious. It was a battle getting the relaxer on the new growth, but when she was styling my hair, it was a LOT thicker and with much, much less breakage. And, she didn't need to trim my ends!

We can't come up with any other reason aside from stress for the breakage I had last time, so I am taking that as a lesson learned and I'm very thankful that my hair is on the road to recovery! I wouldn't be there without your wonderful advice!!

Take care,
G

Back