Breakage from protective styles

• Thread starter Thread starter HoneyRockette
  • Start date Start date
H

HoneyRockette

Hi all! I'm back! I know this topic has been discussed before, but since it took me about twenty minutes to figure out how to log in on this pretty new board, I figured it would be easier to ask again. I have been wearing my hair in a bun pretty much non stop since I left this board six months ago. I went to the salon today and my hair dresser and I damn near had a heart attack! The whole front of my hair, like all the way across my head, has broken off. It looks like I have bangs from ear to ear, only they are uneven, thin and choppy looking. She managed to trim it so it at least looks like I intended to have bangs but she told me that I should probably not wear my hair pulled back for at least six months to give my hairline a chance to recover. Since I don't like wearing my hair down, I have no idea what to do with my hair. Braids are definitely out of the question. Any ideas?

How about a quick weave where you wear the front of the hair out and blend it with the weave/wig. The rest of your hair that is okay can be protected while allowing the front to "breathe" and grow. HTH.

A French Twist (Roll) is totally unstressful for the hair and it always looks like you have more hair, no matter what your length. You can dress it up too, like with hair sticks.

Instant/Quick weaves are great. I have one posted in my protective styles section of my album if you'd like to see one in action.

Did you style your bun while it was wet or dry? And do your properly condition and moisturize your hair?

I too used to get breakage from wearing a bun. I have fine textured hair and used to put my hair in a bun when it was wet. I would get breakage when I kept taking it down and combing my hair all the time. That was also when I did not condition or properly moisturize my hair. What has helped me is conditioning, letting my hair airdry, applying my moisturizer/oil, then put it in a bun. When you re-do your bun, avoid combing your hair as much as possible. The key to a protective style is to leave your hair alone most of the time.
I hope that helps!

stacy said:
How about a quick weave where you wear the front of the hair out and blend it with the weave/wig. The rest of your hair that is okay can be protected while allowing the front to "breathe" and grow. HTH.
I'm sorry to hear that. Anyways, this sounds like a good idea... at least until your hair has had time to recover.

I also had breakage. I have fine textured hair, but it gets very dry and it has a tight curl pattern (before relaxer/retouch). It's crucial to properly moisturize your hair, especially ends. Also, don't pull too hard (this is probably why your follicles in the front have come out).

To moisturize (this is what I do now):

Take a rat tail comb, and using the rat tail end part your hair and moisturize from roots to ends section by section. Don't pull too hard on your hair when you moisturize, just let your fingers gently moisturize your hair.

PhonyBaloney500 said:
Out of curiosity, what did you use to tie your hair back? Did you use one of those elastic bands or a satin scrunchie or what?

I am glad you asked this. HoneyRockette, I have been having the same problem as you with my fine hair, and I have been taking good care of it (or so I thought) :ohwell: I am beginning to think that aside from my hair not being able to take tension, it my be my small cotton stretchy elastic :confused:! I don't know what you use Honey, but if you use something similar, we may have found a problem. What do you guys think?

I love to wear my hair back as well, but due to post-partum shedding my hair line was completely wiped-out. I couldn't wear a straight back style even if I wanted to so I started to wear my hair in a loose braid in the back and gently comb the sides of my hair down-ward on top of my fragile edges. Here's a pic of the style:

Since it's not the most glamorous thing, when I wear this I try to jazz it up with my make-up and accessories. There is really no stress and my ends are tucked under the braid. HTH

Back