breakage from protective style--need tips...

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Hey Hair Buds
wave.gif

I am finding broken pieces of hair in various places in my head. I'm sure it's from constantly wearing my hair pulled back. They are not very noticeable, but since it's my hair of course I notice and I want it to be healthy and whole.

Anyway, 9 out of 10 times I'm wearing a bun. No band, just a twist and pin bun. I use Good Hair Days Plastic Hair Pins (thanks Allandra) The other time, I wear a french roll. I've worn my hair down about 5 times since August.

I'd like advice on how to prevent this from happening more.

Any help would be most appreciated. TIA.

Oh, let me add(so maybe you can give me more specific advice) that all of the broken pieces are at the hairline and the nape of my neck. There is one piece about a quarter inch wide at the nape that is majorly shorter than the rest of the hair in that area.

What type of brush are you using to smooth your hair back/up?

Are you moisturizing your hair well enough when you style your hair? What do you use?

If it's not the first two, it could be that you are positioning your hair the same way and this can cause breakage..Try moving your bun over or up slightly to reduce pressure on some points..HTH

I'm sure more ladies will come in and help you out.

This can happen when the bun is too tight. Regarding the short hair at the nape, this happens to me when I don't pay attention to combing gently as I comb that part upwards to put into the bun. It can also happen when the hair at the nape is not moisturized enough or can be from relaxer not being rinsed properly at the nape ( I am assuming you have a relaxer ).

I have breakage too, but I wear mine up in a clip. I also have lots of shedding. It may be because I wasn't moisturizing enough. This week, iv'e been moisturizing like crazy.
Keeshes

SuperGirl,
wave.gif

Could these hairs possibly be new strands that have sprouted vs. broken hairs? Have you noticed any broken hairs in your comb lately?

I seem to have that problem if I don't rinse daily. As long as I keep my hair moisturized I don't have a problem. When I wear my hair back and I haven't rinsed in 2 days I notice more shedding and breakage. Even just misting really good will do(I like distilled water mixed with jojoba oil). Also be sure you hair is not tight.

hmmm. i posted a while back about my "epiphany". I think that ponytails were the major culprit in assisting my already damage prone hair to break. I stopped and did braid outs instead and my damaged area is growing in FAST using this method. But sometimes i cant help but put it in a ponytail
smirk.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Supergirl said:
Hey Hair Buds
wave.gif

I am finding broken pieces of hair in various places in my head. I'm sure it's from constantly wearing my hair pulled back. They are not very noticeable, but since it's my hair of course I notice and I want it to be healthy and whole.

Anyway, 9 out of 10 times I'm wearing a bun. No band, just a twist and pin bun. I use Good Hair Days Plastic Hair Pins (thanks Allandra) The other time, I wear a french roll. I've worn my hair down about 5 times since August.

I'd like advice on how to prevent this from happening more.

Any help would be most appreciated. TIA.

Oh, let me add(so maybe you can give me more specific advice) that all of the broken pieces are at the hairline and the nape of my neck. There is one piece about a quarter inch wide at the nape that is majorly shorter than the rest of the hair in that area.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, lately, I've been wearing my hair pulled back into bun. I found what works best for me is putting in a loose bun, but neat. There's no stress on my hair, and when I take my hair, there's hardly any hair when I comb out, if there's hair at all!

Thank you ladies. I will use some of these tips. Maybe, I do need to change the position of the bun. It's usually in the same place every day.

Love Ya!

Try changing the direction in which you twist your hair to make your bun, too: try twisting from left to right, if you usually twist from right to left, and vice versa. You can alternate at intervals of your choice: every day, every few days, week, etc.

Thanks Serena!

Girl, I actually tried that once and it's funny how being right handed made that so hard. But of course, I will try it again until it gets easier for me.

Back