breakage due to relaxer at salon help! (long)

Jadore_tay

Ok where do i start? i am a wreck over this whole salon experience. i was 2 months post when i decided to relax my hair i had 2 inches of new growth, i was not able to self relax because i was away from home for the summer and my mom usually does my hair. so the stylist used mizani no lye to perm my hair she relaxed it bone straight even though it came out straighter than usual i was happy with the outcome UNTIL i went in for my wash a week after and discovered that my hair was coming out i thought it was just shedding so she washed my hair with garlic shampoo when she took the rollers out some of my hair was on the roller and my hair was BREAKING and ITCHING. i have no idea what to do with my hair i have breakage in the middle so my mom parted my hair and to her surprise my hair is burned in the middle a little bit and when i comb my hair it comes out. what can i do to stop this breakage?? HELP ME PLEASE!! should i cut my hair (which i really dont wanna do)? what products could i use to help with this?

I just post this today because I am going through the same thing. I will definilty keep an eye on this thread and mine because I want to see what others have to say, because I am scared to death that my hair is going to come out.:nono:

I think you want to stop combing your hair.

Get it into a bun with your fingers and tie down the front so it lies flat and keep it in a bun for a week.

Then do a hard protein after one week.

I'm no expert but this would be my plan of action in such an emergency. Don't cut it just yet... just stop the breakage.

Wow.
I am sorry that once again, someone got botched at a salon.

Honestly..... These stylists don't have a clue!:nono: And I read these stories on the forum every week....

I really have no suggestions.... All I can say is that Mom should Always do your hair....

It sounds tremendously over processed.... So hopefully it will come back to life.

Ok where do i start? i am a wreck over this whole salon experience. i was 2 months post when i decided to relax my hair i had 2 inches of new growth, i was not able to self relax because i was away from home for the summer and my mom usually does my hair. so the stylist used mizani no lye to perm my hair she relaxed it bone straight even though it came out straighter than usual i was happy with the outcome UNTIL i went in for my wash a week after and discovered that my hair was coming out i thought it was just shedding so she washed my hair with garlic shampoo when she took the rollers out some of my hair was on the roller and my hair was BREAKING and ITCHING. i have no idea what to do with my hair i have breakage in the middle so my mom parted my hair and to her surprise my hair is burned in the middle a little bit and when i comb my hair it comes out. what can i do to stop this breakage?? HELP ME PLEASE!! should i cut my hair (which i really dont wanna do)? what products could i use to help with this?

Tay,

Whatever you do, DON'T CUT YOUR HAIR!! I had this happen to me in March but it was due to my own stupidity (I did a henna treatment right after a relaxer and my long hair broke of right at the line of demarcation in the back and the sides of my hair. I was almost bald in the front and the back right side was barely 1 inch!!)

Yes I panicked. I think what happened is that when she was smoothing out your hair, it must have overlapped past the line of demarcation (LOD). So when she rolled your hair, in pulling it taut to lay smoothly on the roller, your hair seperated clean at the LOD. OK....

First,

1. Very very little manipulation
2. Stay away from heat
3. (I am no expert, so ladies please feel free to jump in here at any time) Do a milk and honey conditioning treatment. You can get it from Sickbay which has dominican products. Milk strengthens the hair and the honey softens it and gives it good slip.
http://store.sickbay.biz/beauty.html
4. Gradually ease into to a protein treatment that will slowly but surely help strengthen your hair.
5. For everyday moisture, I use Hollywood Beauty's Creme Olive Oil with 4 natural oils in it. The oils will soothe where your scalp was burned.
6. For scalp treatments and massages, I used Gro Aut Oils which are the ayurvedic oils, Bringhraj and Mahabringhraj and other Indian oils and that jump started my growth IMMEDIATELY. The bald spots in the front started growing in three days cause I started feeling little crawlies on my scalp. I also use OCT and MT and my hair in the back where it broke off when stretch is now almost 3 inches!
http://www.myfasthairgrowth.com/
http://www.eqyss.com/mega_tek2.asp
https://www.ovationhair.com/
7. When you wash your hair, be gentle with it and just do a rhythmic massage on the scalp especially when shampooing and conditioning.
8. Always follow any shampooing with a deep conditioning.
9. I used a protein treatment (not harsh) every week followed by a deep conditioning each time, but it may not work for you so you may want to get a second opinion from the expert ladies on this board.
10. Get back in here for love and kisses from all of us cause we love you and are "rooting for you"!

Hope this helps!!

My advice for your scalp: If your scalp was burned by the relaxer and formed a scab that could be the reason for the itching. Put aloe vera on the burns/scabs and don't manipulate that area of your hair. The burn should heal but you may suffer some hair loss in that area. I wouldn't cut it though.

HTH - Sorry I don't have any advice about the hair breakage. I know that others will.

I read either on here or in someone's fotki that adding blackstrap molasses to the garlic oil treatment stops breakage. The garlic oil treatment is meant to stop shedding, but adding blackstrap molasses to it is supposed to stop breakage. Let me see if I can find that post/fotki (can't remember which one it was!) Be back in a few...

ETA: Okay I can't find where I originally read about this, but here's a thread about the ladies on the board who use molasses. Apparently it has protein in it, so you may do just as well by doing a protein treatment.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=179881

Last edited:
Don't cut yet!

First neutralize again and let it sit for five minutes. Try any after relaxer neutralizing shampoo such as Organic Root Stimulator Creamy Aloe Shampoo.

Next I would do medium to heavy protein treatment to strengthen the strands. IDK how your hair reacts to protein but I would start with the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor and leave on under a dryer for 20 minutes.

Rinse, then apply a deep moisturizing conditoner (in a jar) Maybe a cholesterol.

Apply tons of moisturizer to root to tip and whatever you do not comb hard.
I would wash and condition in about 4 braids and detangle very gently. And don't use any heat for at least a month.

If you can do this every week for a month and see how your hair is then take the next step either trim or bun or any protective style until your scalp and ends stop breaking.

This is what happened to me before but I waited months before I found out what to do, but by then my hair had vanished. HTH and keep us posted we gotta figure this thing out, dammit!

I had this happen to me. My hair was stuck to my scalp because the relaxer formed a burn. I called my then beautician who was not there but her sister told me to just put oil on that area. I did it eventually loosened up from my scalp and I didn't have to cut anything. I wouldn't keep combing that area if I were you.

omg i love you guys soo much i thought i would have 2 cut my hair off. so for the breakage what should i do im not that clear on that part yet? TIA

Tay,

Whatever you do, DON'T CUT YOUR HAIR!! I had this happen to me in March but it was due to my own stupidity (I did a henna treatment right after a relaxer and my long hair broke of right at the line of demarcation in the back and the sides of my hair. I was almost bald in the front and the back right side was barely 1 inch!!)

Yes I panicked. I think what happened is that when she was smoothing out your hair, it must have overlapped past the line of demarcation (LOD). So when she rolled your hair, in pulling it taut to lay smoothly on the roller, your hair seperated clean at the LOD. OK....

First,

1. Very very little manipulation
2. Stay away from heat
3. (I am no expert, so ladies please feel free to jump in here at any time) Do a milk and honey conditioning treatment. You can get it from Sickbay which has dominican products. Milk strengthens the hair and the honey softens it and gives it good slip.
http://store.sickbay.biz/beauty.html
4. Gradually ease into to a protein treatment that will slowly but surely help strengthen your hair.
5. For everyday moisture, I use Hollywood Beauty's Creme Olive Oil with 4 natural oils in it. The oils will soothe where your scalp was burned.
6. For scalp treatments and massages, I used Gro Aut Oils which are the ayurvedic oils, Bringhraj and Mahabringhraj and other Indian oils and that jump started my growth IMMEDIATELY. The bald spots in the front started growing in three days cause I started feeling little crawlies on my scalp. I also use OCT and MT and my hair in the back where it broke off when stretch is now almost 3 inches!
http://www.myfasthairgrowth.com/
http://www.eqyss.com/mega_tek2.asp
https://www.ovationhair.com/
7. When you wash your hair, be gentle with it and just do a rhythmic massage on the scalp especially when shampooing and conditioning.
8. Always follow any shampooing with a deep conditioning.
9. I used a protein treatment (not harsh) every week followed by a deep conditioning each time, but it may not work for you so you may want to get a second opinion from the expert ladies on this board.
10. Get back in here for love and kisses from all of us cause we love you and are "rooting for you"!

Hope this helps!!
THANKS SOOO MUCH I LOVE YOU GUYS TOO WHAT WOULD I DO WITHOUT YOU GUYS???

Try the Mizani Rose H20 Night Time treatment? I've never used it, but I've seen several ladies on here use it to stop breakage and they rave about it.

First thing that came to mind was maybe you weren't properly neutralized...I would start with that first, neutralize then do some heavy protein followed by a moisturizing DC...I wouldn't cut just yet....

*sigh* these hairdressers :perplexed

Don't cut yet!

First neutralize again and let it sit for five minutes. Try any after relaxer neutralizing shampoo such as Organic Root Stimulator Creamy Aloe Shampoo.

Next I would do medium to heavy protein treatment to strengthen the strands. IDK how your hair reacts to protein but I would start with the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor and leave on under a dryer for 20 minutes.

Rinse, then apply a deep moisturizing conditoner (in a jar) Maybe a cholesterol.

I would wash and condition in about 4 braids and detangle very gently. And don't use any heat for at least a month.

If you can do this every week for a month and see how your hair is then take the next step either trim or bun or any protective style until your scalp and ends stop breaking.

This is what happened to me before but I waited months before I found out what to do, but by then my hair had vanished. HTH and keep us posted we gotta figure this thing out, dammit!

Follow this exactly :yep:

Don't cut yet!

I CANT KEEP THANKING YOU GUYS ENOUGH AND TRUST ME I AM ON IT THIS IS A BAD TIME FOR THIS TO HAPPEN I WAS FULL MIDBACK LENGTH WHEN I FRESHLY RELAXED IT:nono:

Back