Breakage at hairline, has anyone found something that works? Losing Hope

gymfreak336

Okay, so one of the last things I am trying to work on with my hair as far as major issues go is my hairline. It has regained some thickness from overprocessing but I have little broken hairs all around it. They are like 2-3 inches in length. No matter what I do , they keep breaking. I don't pull my hair back in tight buns or ponytails. I just now got enough hair to even do a baby bun and I use an octopus clip. I can't seem to pin point what the problem is but I know that it is not really getting better. What worked for you? Any ideas of what my problem might be?

How often to you manipulate the hairline area? How often do you comb, brush, and style that area?

I have used MTG to help with re growth, and then I just don't comb those areas. But if you must comb, have you tried Robins combing technique. That is also very helpful.

my edges are also more fragile. I just use a baby brush on my hairline... when moisturizing my hair with ORS hair lotion, I make sure I don't forget my hairline... after moisturizing I seal my hair with oil( EVOO, sweet almond or coconut) and I make sure I don't forget my hairline with the oil. I don't over oil it either.. just a little goes a long way:) ;) :p

well, I usually only comb my hair at night before I wrap it up with my scarf. Although lately I just have been sleeping on a satin pillow case. I was thinking about trying to find some soft rollers so I can just use a couple of those at night that way I wouldn't have to flat wrap it.

gymfreak336 said:
well, I usually only comb my hair at night before I wrap it up with my scarf. Although lately I just have been sleeping on a satin pillow case. I was thinking about trying to find some soft rollers so I can just use a couple of those at night that way I wouldn't have to flat wrap it.

A scarf can do a lot of damage.

I used to suffer from a broken hair line and the only thing that helped me was to stop brushing my hair. I do believe the scarf does damage as well even though it is a satin scarf, so I've switched over to just using my satin bonnett and pillowcase.

*nods* I agree with the PP about wearing scarfs - I've learned that I HAVE to tie my scarf 'low' on my forehead, so that the edge of the scarf is NOT rubbing directly against my hair line - that has helped my hairline fill in. I'm also a fan of Lenzi's Request - I've been using it for about three weeks, and I'm definitely think I'm seeing some thickening and growth - I plan on taking pictures this evening of where I am now, so that I can have photographic evidence of it working or not working.....

I suffered from major breakage at the hairline.

A couple of things helped me

1. Treating the hair especially the hairline like a fragile piece of delicate lace.
2. No brushing
3. No tight ponytails especially while the hair is wet
4. Moisturizing and massaging the hairline with essential oils
5. Proper tying of my head scarf at night and using a satin pillow case
6. ORS serum or any other topical growth agent that works for you
7. keeping the scalp clean
8. Treating the hair especially the hairline like a fragile piece of delicate lace.:)

I have before and after photos of my hairline in the link in my siggy. I am so happy with my progress and my hairline just keeps getting thicker and healthier!!!:D

I have breakage around my hairline and i think it's from my combination of using a tight scarf and tight ponytails. To combat this I wear a loose puff, don't brush too often, and i use a product called Lenzi's Request. I think the Lenzi's Request really did it for me, Because after about 3 weeks i saw little tender hairs, where there where none. This is the link to where i brought it from http://www.sunriseproductsonline.com

HTH

Last edited:
I used ot be a big time gel user! Once i stopped using gels i saw a difference but not a major one. Then I let go of the brush....then finally i simply started to keep my edges moisturized with Sulfur 8.

So i would say Sulfur 8, Low Scarfs and No Brushes.

trimbride said:
I suffered from major breakage at the hairline.

A couple of things helped me

1. Treating the hair especially the hairline like a fragile piece of delicate lace.
2. No brushing
3. No tight ponytails especially while the hair is wet
4. Moisturizing and massaging the hairline with essential oils
5. Proper tying of my head scarf at night and using a satin pillow case
6. ORS serum or any other topical growth agent that works for you
7. keeping the scalp clean
8. Treating the hair especially the hairline like a fragile piece of delicate lace.:)

I have before and after photos of my hairline in the link in my siggy. I am so happy with my progress and my hairline just keeps getting thicker and healthier!!!:D

TRIMBRIDE - I absolutely love your album! I checked it out a few days ago and your progress has been great, particularly your hairline. I guess what you've been doing has been working thus far. Great tips and good job. :)

blac_quarian said:
TRIMBRIDE - I absolutely love your album! I checked it out a few days ago and your progress has been great, particularly your hairline. I guess what you've been doing has been working thus far. Great tips and good job. :)

:blush: :blush: :blush: Thank you so much, I am really trying hard:p

deontaer said:
I used to suffer from a broken hair line and the only thing that helped me was to stop brushing my hair. I do believe the scarf does damage as well even though it is a satin scarf, so I've switched over to just using my satin bonnett and pillowcase.

Thanks for your advice. You and the other ladies here have figure out my issue.

Thank you all for your help. I am going to print out your suggestions and hopefully find something that works. It was just bothering me lately because I have gotten to a point with my hair that if it never grew any longer, the progress I have made in terms of overall health was enough to satisfy me and make me feel that I have accomplished something. My broken hairline is just the last piece of the puzzle. Thanks again.

Alot of time patience and EO's helped grow my hair line back
Also I do not pull my hair back at all any more. If I really want it to look like my hair is going back in a style I will do flat twist with very little tension. This prevents me from brushing and smothing my hair back.

I am natural btw

I suffered a lot of edge breakage, little 1 inch strands and bare area from using a permanent color and constant wrapping. Discovered the breakage when I took a long look, I really used to just wrap and go. I switched salons, the beautician had her relatives doing shampoos! {really felt she should have at least alerted me to the damage or offered solutions}, stopped coloring except henna, used Surge 14, Parvenu t-tree, Dr. Miracles temple cream, lots of moisture creams and MTG.

For the ladies who are not brushing anymore, what do you do if you wear your hair back?? It's almost like a vicious cycle... you brush your hair, which causes the little broken hairs, and you feel like you have to keep brushing to keep them laying down.

Back