Brazillian Keratin Treatment Questions

BlackHairDiva

I've been reading a lot of about BKT. I'm interested in trying it but I'm a bit confused about how to maintain my hair afterward.

1) DO I still do my weekly deep conditioning?

2) Can I use Cassia ( clear henna) on my hair once a month?

3) I use the entire Wen line is that ok with BKT? It has no sodium, its supposed t be natural products.

4) Can I still use hairveda products when I have a BKT in my hair?

5) How will my regimen change?

6)I f I get a BKT will still get body, shine, and movement /swing in my hair???

OK, I can't answer all of your questions, but I think I can help with some of them.

I've been reading a lot of about BKT. I'm interested in trying it but I'm a bit confused about how to maintain my hair afterward.

1) DO I still do my weekly deep conditioning? You can, and should...I probably DC about twice a month because I co-wash more often.

2) Can I use Cassia ( clear henna) on my hair once a month? Not sure on this one as I do not use henna. There has been a fair amount of debate on the BKT Support thread about this, and (I don't blame you for not wanting to read that many pages) I think it was pretty well agreed that henna will strip your BKT or be some kind of protein overload. Don't hold me to that, but that's the best I can recall as I was contemplating henna to cover my grays, but decided managability was more important to me than a few gray hairs that no one but me notices anyway.

3) I use the entire Wen line is that ok with BKT? It has no sodium, its supposed t be natural products. You should be fine. I've never used Wen, but I do use HairOne (Sally's cheapie Wen knock-off), and I've had no problems. If anything you'll save $$$ on products because you won't need to use as much of any of them. At least that's been my experience.

4) Can I still use hairveda products when I have a BKT in my hair? As long as they don't contain sulfates or sodium chloride, you should be fine, but, again, not my area of expertise.

5) How will my regimen change? You don't really need to change much unless you want to. Your drying time on wash/co-wash days will most likely be shorter, and your curl pattern might loosen some, but otherwise, you should pretty much be business as usual. As I said, you'll probably find that you need to use less product. I personally quit rollersetting and air-dryed more because rollersetting and blow-drying were causing me breakage in the nape area and split ends all over. I'm sure BKT has helped protect my ends, but I'm pretty set with my new regi now.

6)I f I get a BKT will still get body, shine, and movement /swing in my hair???
Like you would not believe! That's one of the best things about it, IMO. I have completely quit using relaxers because this does my hair so much good, and keeps it looking and feeling good with way less stress/effort/:wallbash:. HTH.

I'm sure the others will be chiming in soon, but that's my 2 cents.

I cannot answer all your questions but I answered some.

1) DO I still do my weekly deep conditioning? Definately

2) Can I use Cassia ( clear henna) on my hair once a month? I use henna still, once per month before I BKT

3) I use the entire Wen line is that ok with BKT? It has no sodium, its supposed t be natural products.

4) Can I still use hairveda products when I have a BKT in my hair?

5) How will my regimen change? Mine did not- just used less gel now due to the fact that the gel kind of reacts differently in my hair now- it does not slick it back as it used to.

6)I f I get a BKT will still get body, shine, and movement /swing in my hair??? Yep

Last edited:
Just wanna copy and paste MarieB's whole post... agreed, agreed, agreed, agreed. I don't have a thing to add. Cool... :lol:

Oh, I did henna, before last BKT (about 2 weeks prior) and just DC'd like crazy until BKT day. I think I'll try it again before I say one way or the other, but it was fine.

Thanks everyone this really helps a lot. I'm trying to find an alternative to relaxing my hair and I think BKT might be it. Right now I use diva smooth, but I want something more...

Back